Disk disabled / red x / unmountable: not mounted

parazit

Hello guys!

I am having a problem, that one disk in my array is disabled and showing a red x.

That problem appeared last friday out of nowhere. Suddenly there were two disks missing and i restarted Unraid.

Unraid booted up only one disk was disabled/missing. So i did a filesysystem check and repair but it didn't help. I bought a new 6 TB WD Red and replaced the old drive. Parity rebuild started, but after around 20h there were some errors again. I started the process again and it finished successfully but the disk still remains disabled.

I checked the logs to try find the error but i didn't find a solution.

What i did so far is...

...replacing the cable of the disabled disk > didn't help

...turn off the chassis fans to see if maybe the power consumption is too high (my nas is powered with a 120w power brick) > didn't help

...checked the drive assignment from a usb flash backup > assignment is correct

I have a attached several diag logs, because i restarted Unraid many times and there were different errors.

Maybe it's also the disk1? Why i think it's maybe disk1, because i saw some errors on disk1 in the logs and when i tried to repair the filesystem, i got this error

xfs_repair: read failed: Input/output error cannot read inode 2149022848, disk block 2149022840, cnt 32

Would be awesome, if anybody of you has some suggestions.

Cheers

unraid-diagnostics-20211022-1319.zip unraid-diagnostics-20211022-1919.zip unraid-diagnostics-20211023-1858.zip unraid-diagnostics-20211024-1909.zip unraid-diagnostics-20211024-2024.zip

The linked ddrescue thread shows how you can get a list of corrupt files for that, for disk2 check if the old disk really failed or if you can still use it, if it really failed you also might be able to use ddrescue on it, since the rebuilt disk2 will have corruption and no way of knowing which files are corrupt, unless you have pre-existing checksums.

Thank you for your answer!

I have also another question/idea: Since i replaced disk2 because i thought it's the failed disk and because i didn't erase the old disk yet, i would like to put it back in. Is Unraid going to erase all data on this disk and rebuild it or is it going to sync parity only when i start the array?

1942814652_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-25um15_38_44.thumb.png.686b08ff3cbd22b8caf894e68d946e8d.png1679200688_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-25um15_39_17.thumb.png.941a35073d28ee0992904a0fd885c811.png

The reason i want to do this, is to get back the old hdd setup and perform tour solution mentioned above or maybe there is a way to enable disk2 and replace disk1 without any data loss.

Edited by parazit

Thank you so much!

I kinda manage it now without creating a new config and re-sync. But i am not sure what the issue was.

Solution:

I replaced the current "super.dat" with one from a recent backup and suddenly the array booted up normally, just disk1 was unmountable. I ran a filesystem check and repair, started the array and all disks are back with all data.

Running a parity check now to be sure everything works.

Thanks again for all the help, because it pushed me into the right direction!