24 - 30 bay chassis that can be put under a desk?

bfeist

I'm a long-time unraid user. I've built several systems over the years for myself. I'm currently running a 18-drive server with custom 5-in-3 trays in a Coolermaster Centurion 590 (plus a cage on top of the case) that sits under a desk. 

It's time I get a better drive managment system in place with hot-swappable bays and room for more drives. I'm thinking 24-bay would be great, but am open to ideas. I live in a tiny house with no room for a rack-mount system, nor can I afford to have a chassis that's super loud (like most rack-mount chassis are). I was considering putting a second, identical case next to the one I have and using a SAS expander with cables running between the cases. This would give me 30 drive capacity, but this is a step in the "even more janky" direction. I'd prefer to have everything in one case. 

I've done some searching, but I can't seem to find anything like what I'm looking for. Has anyone seen anything that fits the bill?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, bfeist said:

I've done some searching, but I can't seem to find anything like what I'm looking for. Has anyone seen anything that fits the bill?

For 24 bays, I'd still go with a rackmounted 4HE version of a case....and up to 36 bays (like supermico CSE-847)...these are the only ones, where you can go with hotswap trays all over.

You can/should upgrade/change the Fans, especially go for 120mm fans inside.

Some 24x, 4HE chassis offer to mount an ATX PSU.

When it comes to  feature of "under the table" storage, look at the perfect rack, made by IKEA of sweden: https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack#The_LackRack  ;-)

• Like 1