VM launch hangs at "Cannot reset device 0000:09:00.1, depends on group 28 which is not owned."

OldScot

I wanted to add a new USB device to my Win 10 VM so I restarted, and haven't been able to bring up the that VM since.

This is the first time I haven't been able to sort out a problem with this VM.

Other VMs, like my BigSur VM are still launching just fine. (Unraid 6.9.2)

Hopefully too many edits etc have simply taken their toll on the XML definition.

If I Edit the VM and save using Form View I get "VM creation error. internal error: unknown pci source type 'adapter'.

(I haven't been able to save with Form View in ages, but I don't recall if that was always the error message.)

It edits/saves in XML view and launches, but seems to hang on "qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:09:00.1, depends on group 28 which is not owned." I tried adding using "Bind selection at VFIO at boot" but that didn't help so I removed it.

I'm using "PCIe ACS Override setting enabled", and passing through graphic cards with audio to the WIN 10 VM and Mac VM.

VM Log, VM XML, and PCI devices files are attached.

Latest changes to the server were installing/using some Linux VMs (without passthrough).

The other thing of note was a complaint that there had been a memory issue at some point.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks!

pci.devices.txt vm.log.txt vm.xml.txt

The Nvidia Card as a built in USB you need to bind all three to VFIO and add to VM.

IOMMU group 26:                 [10de:2184] 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] (rev a1)
IOMMU group 27:                 [10de:1aeb] 09:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 28:                 [10de:1aec] 09:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 USB 3.1 Host Controller (rev a1)

Hello SimonF,

Thanks for your assistance. I had tried that but didn't have any luck. At the moment adding group 28 to the VFIO binding, but not adding 9:00.2 to the VM is working.

The only trouble I have now is that I can't successfully shutdown, I have to start the shutdown from a DOS command prompt and then Force Stop.

Tried all permutations of group 28 and 29 and adding 9:00.2 and 9:00.3 to the VM.

The odd thing is that I have never used these settings before, and this VM's been running for nearly a year.

Thanks Again!

2 hours ago, OldScot said:

but didn't have any luck

Make sure to attach to vfio groups 26, 27, 28 and 29.

Reboot.

Replace this:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

With this:

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x2'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x2'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x3'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x3'/>
    </hostdev>

Start the vm.

Thanks ghost62! I tried your suggestion but the VM fails to come up. Files and Log are attached.

I'm now convinced the log isn't always useful as it contains the same entries (as the first log attached) even when it works.

I also realize I lost my DVD drive passthrough at some point. Will want to re-add it when this is stable.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

20210026.devices.txt 20210026.log.txt 20210026.vm.txt

Thanks ghost82, that was certainly a trip down the rabbit hole.

When I built the server the motherboard was quite new and wasn't fully supported by Unraid until 6.9.

This was my first time updating the bios.

In the midst of all that my Windows VM disappeared, can't think how or why but I did need to create a new one and copy of the old definition to restore it.

After updating the bios I had lost all my bios settings so I needed to enable virtualization, boot from USB, etc.

Then I discovered all of the device mappings had changed, so no VM definitions made sense.

It looked like the IOMMU groups now made more sense so I turned off IOMMU splitting and preceded to use the native groups.

I was able to reassign the groups in the VMs, starting with the Mac VM, and get them going again.

Finally I redefined the Win10 VM using all 4 groups + the DVD drive and it seems to work perfectly.

Boots up, drive works, and shutdowns no problem.

Thanks for the suggestion! (Never would have imagined all the fall out from the bios update.)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, OldScot said:

After updating the bios I had lost all my bios settings so I needed to enable virtualization, boot from USB, etc.

4 hours ago, OldScot said:

Then I discovered all of the device mappings had changed

Yes, sorry that was expected and I had to tell it.

Bios settings reset happens on all bios updates, as far as I know, I would say luckily.., because it happened to me to have an unbootable workstation because of wrong bios settings, and only reflashing the same bios fixed it.

Especially with issues like yours also the mapping of devices was expected: this doesn't happen all the time, but if something is fixing it, it may happen.

Edited by ghost82