[SOLVED] All user shares deleted when changing a share's cache setting

Jax

Hi, this just happened literally minutes ago.

I've been having issues with my Unraid server and a corrupt file system on disk 2 for a while now.  I ran the fixdisk utility and it came back with a whackload of files in the lost+found folder.

Long story short is that I decided to rather than go through the thousands of files and folders, that I would re-import the data to the array.

Anyway, my server has been busy, pulling over 3TB of data in the past few weeks and fast forward to just now when I realized that my cache drive was full.

So (stupid?) me started a mover, then went to the share that was the culprit of the full cache and set the cache method to "no".

Upon hitting "apply", I was greeted with "Share Deleted" instead of the usual blip and return to the share window with the new setting.

I went back and looked at my other shares and they are ALL gone!  Only disk shares remain.

HELP!!!!! 🙂

Is everything gone? Is there a way to restore the shares/configuration?

Diagnostics attached.

tc-nas-01-diagnostics-20211025-1346.zip

4 hours ago, Jax said:

set the cache method to "no".

Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only shares.

You have corrupted docker.img by filling cache. Maybe cache is corrupt also, but in any case user shares are broken because of your cache problem.

Why have you given 75G to docker.img? Have you had problems filling it? 20G is often more than enough and making it larger won't fix filling docker.img, it will only make it take longer to fill.

Reboot and post new diagnostics.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Why have you given 75G to docker.img? Have you had problems filling it? 20G is often more than enough and making it larger won't fix filling docker.img, it will only make it take longer to fill.

Hi,

I increased the docker .img size from default for no particular reason... just did it because I had the space at the time.

Anyway, I just rebooted and it gets even "better".

ALL shares are gone now - disk shares AND user shares.

Post reboot diag attached.

tc-nas-01-diagnostics-20211025-2010.zip

It looks as if your docker.img file is corrupt (probably due to the cache drive running out of free space).  I notice that you have it configured for 75GB which should be far more than you need - the default of 20GB is normally more than enough as long as you do not have  container misconfigured so it ends up writing internally to the image.  I would suggest:

• Stop docker service
  • Go to Settings->Docker and select the option to delete the current image (may need to turn on advanced view)
  • Change the image size to be 20GB (which should free up space on the cache)
  • Restart the docker service to create a new 20GB docker.img file
  • Go to Apps -> Previous Apps to redownload the container binaries and re-instate the containers you select with their previous settings intact

Make sure that for any shares you want mover to transfer files to the array Use Cache=Yes is set.  If not sure of the correct settings for any share use the GUI built-in help for that field to see how the settings operate and how they affect mover.

You should also set the Minimum Free Space setting for the cache (currently 0) to be larger than the biggest file you expect the transfer which will help with avoiding running out of space in the future.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] All user shares deleted when changing a share's cache setting