Data across disk array

Slin

I have 6 TB of storage across 3 x 2Tb disks.

I have tried to copy a folder containing just under 3TB of date to a share I created but i get a message saying there is not enough disk space.

I assume that unRaid will spread the folder across the array ot am I thinking wrong?

Your M---a share is cache-prefer, which means prefer to keep all those files on cache permanently, and if any are on the array, move them to cache. You want cache-yes for shares that are to be moved to the array.

The other part of this is that while cache-yes and cache-prefer shares will overflow to the array if there isn't enough space, Unraid decides whether or not there is enough space based on whether or not a drive has less than Minimum Free remaining. Your Minimum Free for that share is zero, and your Minimum Free for cache is also zero, so it will never overflow to the array.

So, you have filled cache and are out of space since there is no Minimum Free for that share or for cache.

Typically, the only shares that should be cache-prefer are appdata, domains, system, at least until you get a better idea of how things work, then you can decide if there are other share that you want permanently on cache.

You can toggle Help for the whole webUI by clicking the Help (?) button, and you can get help for a specific setting by clicking on its label.

Note that Minimum Free doesn't control how much space Unraid will keep free on a disk. Instead, it controls whether or not Unraid will choose a different drive when deciding where to write a new file.

For example, you set Minimum Free to 10G, a disk has 15G free, you try to write a 13G file. Since the disk has more than Minimum, the disk can be chosen. If it is chosen, after the write the disk will have 2G remaining, which is less than Minimum, so it will choose another disk next time (if other factors allow it).

Another example, Minimum Free is 10G, a disk has 15G free, you try to write a 20G file. Since the disk has more than Minimum, the disk can be chosen. If it is chosen, the write will fail since it will run out of space. 

20 hours ago, trurl said:

And, you should set Minimum Free for the share to larger than the largest file you expect to write for the share, and Minimum Free for cache to larger than the largest file you expect to write to cache.

Note that Minimum Free is about choosing a drive for each new FILE to be written.

19 hours ago, Slin said:

folder of just under 3TB

Minimum Free is not about FOLDER size. The whole point of user shares is so folders can span drives.