How to setup pfSense VMware on unraid OS with 2 NIC ports?

bi7l

...yes, I am referring to the MAC in your pfsense VM template in unraid. Since the first octet(s) are an indication of make/manufacturer...you have now - from the perspective of pfsense a virtio NIC with an Intel MAC...don't know if this might trigger something in the driver.

As far as I understood, opnsense is based on a more modern branch of freebsd? Might be worth a try.
Both NICs, the true Intel and the virtio should be properly reported upon detection and as soon as drivers are loaded. This seems not to be the case for the virtio one and this is what bothers me, when looking for a reason behind your current results.
Opnsense definitely has proper virtio drivers...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G780G mit Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

...yes, I am referring to the MAC in your pfsense VM template in unraid. Since the first octet(s) are an indication of make/manufacturer...you have now - from the perspective of pfsense a virtio NIC with an Intel MAC...don't know if this might trigger something in the driver.

As far as I understood, opnsense is based on a more modern branch of freebsd? Might be worth a try.
Both NICs, the true Intel and the virtio should be properly reported upon detection and as soon as drivers are loaded. This seems not to be the case for the virtio one and this is what bothers me, when looking for a reason behind your current results.
Opnsense definitely has proper virtio drivers...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G780G mit Tapatalk

!!!

Good thinking!  I will try rearranging this later.  Great ideas.

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/152792/looking-for-pfsense-compatible-2500mbps-pcie-rj45-nic/10

indigo88 Jun 13, 2020, 8:43 PM

The Intel X550 supports NBASE-T in Linux and seemingly does in BSD now, although it shows as “unknown” in the pfSense UI. I have been using the X550 with no issues since 2016, although only at 1G/10G speeds.

I started a thread here: https://forum.netgate.com/topic/146913/nbase-t-support-for-intel-x550/20 and @WanTime seemingly saw 2.5Gbps throughput even if the link speed shows as “unknown” in the UI.

I plan on getting a MB8611 or CBR750 as soon as they are available. I have the X550 going into a 10Gbps switch, and it works great. Hoping to get a little extra parallel performance since Comcast overprovisions their gigabit to 1.2Gbps.

And this is all very interesting:

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/146913/nbase-t-support-for-intel-x550/6

Just info on the drivers.

Just hit 330 MB/s.  The connection still says "unknown" for my WAN, but based on what I've read that is just the way it is with the Intel X550-T2 NBASE-T when it connects at 2.5Gb or 5Gb.  I guess since I am hitting over 300MB/s the connection must be properly negotiating at 5Gb.

EDIT:  Evidently it's a known issue with the FreeBSD drivers for the Intel X550.  The connection is reported 'unknown' when negotiated at 2.5GB or 5GB.  I have since hit and maintained 350 MB/s at times when my ISP has the available bandwidth, so I am pretty certain the Intel X550 and modem are connected to each other at 5GB.

This is cool!

craigr

Edited by craigr
more info
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Yee-Haw!!!!  I love OPNsense!!!  Thanks again!

yeehaw.png.16a5a41ed812f1eca132743561eeecb9.png

Takes much longer to decompress files than it does to download them 😁.  If you would have told me even five years ago, I'd have home internet this fast I would certainly not believed it.  65GB file downloaded in under three minutes.

Edited by craigr