Unraid first build help

Lyubetrix

Greetings,

I'm planning to build my first Unraid server and I'm having trouble with the choice of MB.

My idea is:

Ryzen 2700x

PSU: 750

GPU: Nvidia whatever - (will be uses for Win VM for some dev work + rare gaming of non demanding games)

Ram: 2x16 or 2x32 doesn't matter at the moment

Storage: 2 nvme and 2xbigger spin drives for storage

I'll be using the machine for sure for:

- Plex - no transposing

- git

- nas

- some VMs

- etc.

The dev works and gaming are optional - I just want to give it a try and see what will happen.

I'm struggling to choose some compatible b450 board to use in the system.

Main requirements are headless boot and IOMMU groups.

I'm also wondering if I should go 3900x for the extra cores.

Thanks.

I am using a 2700X and have used several B450 boards and every one of them has been fine with Unraid.  I am on an X470 now and it performs the same as the B450 did.

This is subjective but I believe I liked the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi but mainly for the Intel ethernet.  I have 3 of that board and I liked the build quality, quality parts in it like ALC 1220 audio, decent VRM etc.  None of which makes much difference to Unraid but does for my music media PC's.  I have also used an Asrock B450 Steel Legend and a MSI B450 Pro-VDH.

The biggest challenge with the 2700x is cpu cooling so make sure you have a case designed for airflow and a very good cpu cooler.  The 2700x should have way more power than you will need for the use case you listed.

Initially I'll make use for it's full potential. I can assure you that :D

I don't mind getting an x470 board for it. I just try to squeeze the budget to max.

The initial idea was to get GB x570s Aorus Pro AX + 5950x. But I decided to see how Win handles in the VM and perhaps have 2 machines for the specific purposes.

The biggest challenge with the 2700x is cpu cooling so make sure you have a case designed for airflow and a very good cpu cooler.  The 2700x should have way more power than you will need for the use case you listed.

I'm thinking Node 804 or FD Define 7

The second one if I plan to go with 3900x

The Define 7 is a beautiful case but a horrible choice for thermal efficiency unless you plan on leaving the front panel open, and no one will do that.  Gamers Nexus does a fantastic job of case reviews, here is their take on the Define 7. 

The Node is not a better choice and may be worse.  I hate to recommend a case, the choices are almost endless but what is most important in a NAS is not style it is thermal performance.  Keeping drives, cpu and all components in the case cool is the primary function of a server case, aesthetics are low on the list.  This is less important for low powered cpu choices but crucial for high power cpu's.

Here are some recent choices and should be available for purchase.

I've watched this dude on Youtube. He's crazy - very good but very long and in depth reviews :)

Let's say I'll go with Meshify 2 or some other airflow case, or ... FD 7.
About the CPU and MoBo I plan to get them from eBay and my imaginary max budget is around 450€ (520$)

After comparing some MoBos and prices I think I'll go with
B450 or B550 Tomahawk(PCI 4 support through CPU) or GB x570 Elite or Ultra or ASUS x570 E gaming (new Tomahawk or any of the others if found on ebay)
and Ryzen 3900x

I'll try to check around the forum is there any info about the Tomahawk and Asus boards since I already found plenty on GB ones.

I don't think the case is that big of a difference since there will be not that much of pressure on the system. Except from rare gaming.
I like to play lighter games that can make use of the XBOX controller (connected through wireless adapter) - arcade types, some racer.

Main usage will be:

I'll be making the machine NAS storage and Plex server for sure. Everything else will be done mainly with educational purposes - Containers and VMs  - DNS server, web server, DB, git and whatever I find interesting to play with :)

Because of the current market prices and recent releases of new RAM (DDR5) and CPUs (next zen with new socket) I don't mind waitng for main working machine. I'm currently using my Macbook and it is covering my workflow in most cases for now.

My mind is a little messy at the topic but I'm going to do the trial and error method and we'll see.

Edited by Lyubetrix