Unexpected behavior makes my unraid at risk or there is a tool for my requirements below?

mpiva

Some background:

I live in a country where HDD are at least two times more expensive than USA, and with the Chia craze, prices are not lowering yet, at least in here.

That said.

I Have a dual parity unraid, about 3 months ago, one disk start to grow bad sectors. 250 at the time of writing this.

Yesterday, something unexpected happens, two disk, gone bad, and desynced. Smart is OK on both. The strange thing, is, reconstructing them, ends both after 10 minutes with 1024 errors, at the same time. Reading them directly seems to be fine. So, I'm suspecting there is power supply issue, since they're from different backplanes.

That said again...

Now, I have two desynced disks, that might or might not be reused, and one disk with 250 sectors bad. I Know a little about how reconstruction works, using XOR or Red Solomon. And the 3 disks are data disks. My question is the following:

At the sector position where those 250 errors sectors exists, in the first disk. Can those be recuperated somehow? 

at the same time in the same position, those 250 sectors in the desynced drives, these data become in danger?

If the answer on the above questions, is you're fine. Then I have no issues. Is the answer, is, you might loose that data. I'm looking for the following:

1) Is there a tool, that can point out what files are in danger, from the error sectors, and also extend it to other disks, same set of sectors, but different disk ?

2) Can you mount unraid in read only mode. And mark those almost broken disks temporary synced, and mount them as a part of the unraid?

In that way, they serve their limited purpose, those 250 sectors can be recuperated, files can be copied to other medium, and the disks can be replaced with no risk of loose data.

Also this method, could serve to recuperate files, when disks have errors, not dead, but they're in different places.

Edited by mpiva