[Solved] Unable to replace Key

Hi!

After a few days fixing issues with my server it turns out i had to replace my flash drive for the second time in 2 weeks. Downloaded latest flash backup from MyServers and make the new boot drive, when i logged to server and change users pwd i proceed to fix error with key but every time i tried the pop-up windows is almost empty

image.thumb.png.5f78ae70dea2fb145beea8aab0a9ff52.png

Now i have this error key doesn't correspond to USB flash, tried uninstalling and installing myservers plugin, downloaded the key file and replace it manually but there is no way to fix it.

image.png.fb84a8676a67a300bba31191c6df678c.png

Edited by surferjsmc

@surferjsmc please disregard the above message. I just saw your support ticket and it included more verbose details about your situation. I was able to re-create your bug.

I'm in the process of deploying a fix for the pop-up. Please give it about 10 min or so from the time of me posting this message then try again. The pop-up should fully load.

That said, because you replaced your flash drive already this year it means your ineligible for another replacement. Please respond to the support email that we sent you with any additional info regarding the key replacement.

• surferjsmc changed the title to [Solved] Unable to replace Key
  • 3 weeks later...

Just curious as I recently had a flash drive failure as well and maybe I'm missing something.  I was using the flash backup to unraid.net and I successfully downloaded my flash backup file, created a new flash boot on the replacement drive, and ran into the same key error above .  I'd already copied the downloaded key from my unraid.net my servers instance (same place I downloaded my flash backup) to the flash drive's config folder (BTW this step is not well documented) but had to go through the support option to generate a new key for the replacement drive. 

So my question is, what's the point of backing up the key if you can't restore it to a new drive to use without having to contact support or request a new key?  And more importantly, that being the case, what if you suffer more than one USB flash boot failure in a year (flash drives aren't the most reliable storage and I've been using name brands)?  Are you expected to purchase a new key?

13 hours ago, navigat0 said:

So my question is, what's the point of backing up the key if you can't restore it to a new drive to use without having to contact support or request a new key?  And more importantly, that being the case, what if you suffer more than one USB flash boot failure in a year (flash drives aren't the most reliable storage and I've been using name brands)?  Are you expected to purchase a new key?

I think many people do not have backups of their key and/or their latest UnRaid configuration changes so want to be sure they can transfer to a new key keeping all settings intact.

you should be able to get an automatic licence transfer to a new USB stick once a year without involving Limetech support at all.   This is online and can be done in seconds/minutes once you have put the Unraid files onto the replacement USB.  If for any reason you need to do another transfer in less than a year that is when you need to contact Limetech so that they can manually issue a replacement key (you do NOT need to buy a new licence) but this can add a day or two to the licence transfer process especially at weekends.

in terms of USB reliability it is definitely better to use USB2 drives as they seem to last much longer (I think because they normally run cooler).  UnRaid gains no performance advantage (except perhaps for a few seconds when booting) from USB3.   I have had most of my Unraid USB2 drives last for many years.   I guess USB2 drives are becoming harder to source, but hopefully this is being offset by USB3 drives becoming more reliable as the manufacturing technology matures.

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...

I have the same issue. The option to replace key is not available. I have the correct key in the config folder and I am stuck. Nothing is working and my whole server is down. The last key was replaced more than a year ago. These USB devices keep failing on me. 

How do I fix this?

On 10/9/2022 at 8:12 AM, alitech said:

I have the same issue. The option to replace key is not available. I have the correct key in the config folder and I am stuck. Nothing is working and my whole server is down. The last key was replaced more than a year ago. These USB devices keep failing on me. 

How do I fix this?

Let's continue your discussion over here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/129363-unable-to-transfer-key-to-new-usb-device/