Parity check for 18TB, how long does it take?

gberg

54 minutes ago, gberg said:

Anyone using 18TB parity drive,if so, how long does it take to complete?

For me using 10TB parity drive the parity check usually takes takes about 19 hours and 30 minutes if there is not too much disk actvity during the check.

I would expect the time would be 80% longer as the time is determined primarily by the size of the parity disk.  If you are not already using it then I would think the Parity Check Tuning plugin would be a good idea?

Correct.  It won't make the task any faster.  If your 10TB takes ~20 hours, the 18TB will take about 36 hours.

For me, Parity Check Tuning makes sense for scheduled checks, running the check in segments when the server isn't likely to see (much) traffic.  But if I'm replacing a drive, I want it to fully complete the parity rebuild as soon as I can, to get the array back to a protected state.

1 hour ago, gberg said:

But what would the Parity Check Tuning plugin do, I mean it can't make the disk faster?

True, but it can mean that it is not impacting performance at times when you know the array will be busy with other work.   

If it is just the regular scheduled check being done as part of system housekeeping the elapsed time is normally not so critical if it does not impact daily use.

3 hours ago, gberg said:

but I'm planning on add a new lager Parity drive as I'm running out of drive bays.

I don't know what your rate of adding data (TB/month) is, but I would be thinking more along the line of getting another case.  I know that the current market does not seem to have a lot of good options in that area but it might be an alternative to going to an 18TB array setup.  Remember once, you make a jump to that parity size, you are locked into that path without a lot of options.  There is a 'Hardware' forum in the 'Community' section that discusses cases and hard drive cages that might provide another alternative.