Old plugin fails to install in 6.10.0-rc2

PeterB

I have an old plugin which I created years ago, to run the dovecot mail server.  It still runs perfectly well under v6.9.2.

When I just updated to 6.10.0-rc2, I found that dovecot was failing to start.  The system log shows that the plugin install script is executed, then the next line shows "retval: 6".  I'm not sure whether this retval relates to the installation script or to something which happens after the script runs.

The install script is: 

<!--
Here is the plugin installation script.  This script is run every time upon system start-up and/or
when the plugin is installed.
-->
<FILE Name="/tmp/dovecot-install" Run="/bin/bash">
<INLINE>
<![CDATA[
# include our config vars
source /boot/config/plugins/dovecot/dovecot.cfg

# if dovecot doesn't exist, extract the tarball
if [ ! -e "/usr/local/sbin/dovecot" ];
  then
  ( cd /usr/local ;
    tar -xf /boot/config/plugins/dovecot/dovecot-2.2.13-x86_64-1pb.tgz ;
#    chmod 755 /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/empty
#    chmod 755 /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
  )
  fi
#
# Add the next two lines for unRAID 6.9.0
groupadd -g 500 dovenull
useradd -M -u 500 -g 500 -s /bin/false -d / -c 'Dovecot null user' dovenull
groupadd -g 501 dovecot
useradd -M -u 501 -g 501 -s /bin/false -d / -c 'User for Dovecot Mail Server' dovecot
]]>

Is anyone able to identify why the plugin doesn't start or, at least, what "retval: 6" signifies?

Oh, I was also caught out when I found that the installplg command no longer appears to be present!  I guess that this now has to be done through the web interface.

Edited by PeterB
Add 6.9.2 info
1 hour ago, PeterB said:

I was also caught out when I found that the installplg command no longer appears to be present!  I guess that this now has to be done through the web interface.

This was not present in the 6.9.2 release either although it is in 6.8.3!  It just seems to be a wrapper that redirects to running the 'install' command.

I went back to address this issue when I had more time available.  The cause of my issue is that the default /etc/group which is provided by unRAID v6.10 now includes dovecot and dovenull groups, hence my attempt to create these groups in my install script was failing.  My solution, for the time being, is to delete these two groups within my install script, before I create my own.

This does beg the question, though - are we about to see dovecot provided as an integral (or even optional) service within unRAID.  If not, why have these groups suddenly appeared in the group file?