NVMe overheating

Just a weigh in that I am having exactly the same issue. RC2, Asus x570 MB, 5700g, NVMe is a Samsung 980.

Drive is cool when it is reporting 84 degrees. Drive logs show around 36-38 during this period too.

Two (perhaps) differences from my setup to the others in the thread: (1) Have a heatsink on the NVME SSD already. (2) NVMe is being used as a passthrough drive for a VM - it is not assigned to an array or pool.

So definitely seems to be an issue with RC2.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, macieksoft said:

I also noticed it stays at 84c for exactly 1 hour. I have Pushbullet send me notifications and it's consistently going from 39c to 84c for 1 hour before dropping back to 39c. 

What size is your 980? I have a 500 GB drive and noticed that it reports 84C for exactly 30 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a solve, or at least can point to the cause of this issue. It's something to do with this specific NVMe drive. Not sure if it is the lack of DRAM or the new controller on the 980, but whatever it is, that is what is causing this 30 min period of reported overheating.

I just switched out NVME drives (in this case to the 980 Pro) and the issue is gone. No other change in configuration at all. Even using the same M2 slot on the Motherboard. Been running solidly like this over 48 hours now.

I'm not sure if this is something that Unraid can fix, or if it will get better with newer releases that deal with this new style of NVMe drive more correctly. 

One parting thought on this. I don't believe the 980 actually ever got to 84 degrees or that it overheated at all. I think it was just misreporting. I made sure to be there a couple of times when it was reporting the overheating and the drive felt cool to the touch. So I don't think over-time, this problem will cause any issues to the physical drive, but since this was a mission critical drive for me, I didn't like the issue and wanted to be sure to get onto something which works as it should. 

Edited by V1per5h0t
2 hours ago, V1per5h0t said:

I just switched out NVME drives (in this case to the 980 Pro) and the issue is gone. No other change in configuration at all. Even using the same M2 slot on the Motherboard. Been running solidly like this over 48 hours now.

Ok, so you've talked me into it... :D I just bought a 980 Pro 1TB NVMe. So, what's the best way to replace my 500 Gb NVMe drive? Should I do an rsync to another mount, switch out the drive, let Unraid do it's formatting thing, and then rsync back? I use this guy for all of my Docker containers.

EDIT: Never mind, I found this wiki. 

Thanks!

Brian

Edited by MaxwellHouse
  • 1 month later...

Wanted to add I have two of the samsung 980 nvme SSDs in an NVME pool on an asus hyper m.2 card and am running the current RC2. The 980s read 84C for 30 minutes then go back to normal. The other two NVME drives on the card are usually at 25-35C even under load. This was never a problem in the several previous versions of unraid. Hopefully this error is fixed in the future. 

• 2 months later...

Same here,

I have 4 1TV Samsung 980 nvme in an ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card.
Massive cooling with fan, so there's no way it could spike to 84°C. I run this set as a btrfs-raid 10 so the likeness that if there's overheating only 1 of the 4 would overheat is very, very low.

It must be a software error.

I run 6.10rc4

If I switch back to 6.9 no issues.

Any suggestions from unraid ?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...