[Support] Bacula-Server

3 hours ago, VRx said:

There is, and it  requires some work with shell commands too.
You can do symlinks on the second disk to volumes saved on first (shell), and then make changes in storage settings (web UI).

Yeah, thats more of a "hack" and rather discouraged in the documentation. vchanger is actually more flexible, has a lot more options. I would think it brings in more than one would get by just manually setting symlinks.

Sure, I can't force you to put vchanger in, still it would be a addition per request considered worthwhile from one of the more responsive users in this thread (me). I am actually wondering how many users the container actually has. I can see 5000+ downloads, but no actual activity here except people asking, if this container supports LTO. Not that it would matter, just curious.

Oh, and thanks for the quick fix of the permission issue.

4 hours ago, b0m541 said:

vchanger is actually more flexible, has a lot more options

I don't say that it is not.

4 hours ago, b0m541 said:

it would be a addition per request considered worthwhile from one of the more responsive users in this thread (me)

Yes, but still this is only one person.
Please imagine that five people express their wishes here, everyone would like their request to be granted first and then take a look at my profile in Community Applications, I'm creating containers for fun, most often for my own needs not met by other applications available on CA. There is no team of people who create applications behind me. I do it in my spare time.
First of all, I would like to implement email notifications, I would like to know when the backup fails, so as not to keep checking the web panel.
In your case, it would also be valuable information because it may suggest insufficient disk space.
This solution was almost ready, but at the same time the bacula package repository stopped working. So the priority has been to solve this problem by building an image from source codes. The version published 2 days ago will allow further development. Without the changes made in this version, I wouldn't be able to share any new version of the image, no email notifications, updates or adding a vchanger. This image was created in my spare time and tested for over 20 days. As you can see, it was impossible to avoid the mistake, because I didn't foresee everything.
With each change, I try to improve the images I create, as well as populate some improvements to other images published by me. And when you check other support threads, some of them, despite the greater human resources, do not respond to reported problems at all or very rarely. I don't want anyone to pick up on the fact that I'm better or the best, I just want to point out that this is just my free time. As I mentioned before, your suggestion is on the planned list.

5 hours ago, b0m541 said:

I am actually wondering how many users the container actually has

Me too.

But seriously, it doesn't really matter.

5 hours ago, b0m541 said:

I can see 5000+ downloads, but no actual activity here except people asking, if this container supports LTO

Maybe most of users do not need any improvements or maybe most of them download only for tests.
About supporting LTO, I don't have any device, so I can't make any tests. I do not need to make tape backups, so the purchase does not make sense.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:37 PM, VRx said:

Please imagine that five people express their wishes here, everyone would like their request to be granted first

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just take look at this thread. No one really interacting, except for the two of us :)

Of course I understand that this is a voluntary effort with limited resources, and as long as vchanger is on the roadmap and not always pushed to the end of the list... I hope it is coming soon. I have disabled my tier 2 backups currently due to this.

Edited by b0m541
6 hours ago, VRx said:

All changes are described in CA.
Other updates are base system or app minor updates (f.e. system pkgs)

I looked in Comunity Apps. Do you mean something else by "CA" (not Community Apps?)?

This is what it says there (only a description for the previous update, not for the one from yesterday):

800259987_Screenshot2022-07-18at19_14_53.thumb.png.579d715db811dace3616721f518d73b5.png

So in this case, as there is no mention, you are saying there are updates to the base system or minor app updates?

Did I understand you correctly?

Edited by b0m541
  • 2 weeks later...

Note: this post is a bit long, the main problem is that bacula-dir dies after a few minutes, and I don't know why.

As macOS TimeMachine stopped working properly after unRAID upgrade to 6.10.3 I disabled TimeMachine in unRAID and installed the TimeMachine container. This container runs with a br0 network and the TimeMachine service is using a different IP than the unRAID server, but in the same subnet.

Since I have this container Baculum threw an error on the UI that bconsole had problems connecting to the director at localhost:9101.

Consequently I replaced in etc/bconsole.conf localhost with the FQDN of the director, which is a CNAME for the FQDN of the unRAID server:

bconsole.conf:

Director {

Name = "bacula-dir"

DIRport = 9101

address = bacdir.foo.net

Password = "redacted"

}

After this, Baculum first works a while, but then it complains that bconsole fails to connect to the Director due to authentication problems:

"Error code: 4

Message: Problem with connection to bconsole. Output=>Connecting to Director bacula-dir.lan.net:9101 Director authorization problem. Most likely the passwords do not agree. If you are using TLS, there may have been a certificate validation error during the TLS handshake. For help, please see http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/en/problems/Bacula_Frequently_Asked_Que.html, Exitcode=>1" (btw, the mentioned URL is dead, I didn't find an FAQ)

bacula-dir.conf:

Director {

Name = "bacula-dir"

Messages = "Daemon"

QueryFile = "/opt/bacula/scripts/query.sql"

WorkingDirectory = "/opt/bacula/working"

PidDirectory = "/opt/bacula/working"

MaximumConcurrentJobs = 20

Password = "redacted"

}

The redacted passwords for both Director resources are identical, so a password mismatch is not the problem here.

As can be seen there are no TLS directives, so even if TLS is used per default it would us the Password directives for the TLS PSK (if I understood it correctly). There are not TLS certificates provides by me for bacula. However, the unRAID server UI uses a certificate, and bacdir is not one of the names in the certificate's SAN. But AFAIK Bacula looks only at the CN, not at the names in SAN, correct?

This is the first time I am seeing such an error in Bacula, and I have a number of remote FDs that might possibly also connect using TLS (although in no config file there are TLS directives).

If this error was about a missing TLS certificate, then why am I not seeing such an error for any of the remote FDs to which the Director connects?

I do see that one FD, which is configured to connect on its own to the Director, is throwing connection errors, and indeed, the director port refuses connections.

This is the docker log of the bacula-server container:

==> Checking DB...
Altering postgresql tables

This script will update a Bacula PostgreSQL database
 from any from version 12-16 or 1014-1021 to version 1022
 which is needed to convert from any Bacula Enterprise
 version 4.0.x, 6.x.y, 8.x.y, 10.x.y to version 12.4.x

The existing database is version 1022 !!
This script can only update an existing version 12-16, 1014-1021 database to version 1022.
Error. Cannot update this database.

==> Starting...
==> .......Storage Daemon...
Starting the Bacula Storage daemon
==> .......File Daemon...
Starting the Bacula File daemon
==> .......Bacula Director...
Starting the Bacula Director daemon
==> .......Bacula Web...
2022-07-29 10:58:01,498 INFO Set uid to user 0 succeeded
2022-07-29 10:58:01,506 INFO supervisord started with pid 1
2022-07-29 10:58:02,512 INFO spawned: 'baculum' with pid 200
2022-07-29 10:58:03,516 INFO success: baculum entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-07-29 10:59:00,580 INFO reaped unknown pid 181 (exit status 11)
2022-07-29 11:02:18,810 INFO reaped unknown pid 3237 (exit status 0)
2022-07-29 11:02:19,812 INFO reaped unknown pid 3238 (exit status 0)
2022-07-29 11:03:13,886 INFO reaped unknown pid 4003 (exit status 0)
2022-07-29 11:03:29,906 INFO reaped unknown pid 4004 (exit status 0)
2022-07-29 11:03:32,915 INFO reaped unknown pid 190 (exit status 11)

When I look inside the container, after a restart bacula-dir is there and Baculum works for ca. 6 minutes. Then bacula-dir dies and Baculum stops working (as bconsole cannot connect to the Director any more).

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

Could this have anything to do with the br0 network for the TimeMachine container - or is it something caused by the last container upgrade?

Edited by b0m541
1 hour ago, b0m541 said:

Note: this post is a bit long, the main problem is that bacula-dir dies after a few minutes, and I don't know why.

Lots of text but little useful information. If the Timemachine does not have the same ip address that the bacula server uses, the timemachine configuration is irrelevant to me. If the bacula-dir process crashes it is normal for bconsole not to connect, no matter if it is on localhost or called by fqdn. This change is completely pointless, localhost will always be a local connection within this container, unless you intend to separate bconsole and bacula-dir but that won't be part of the container support anymore. First of all, what you have in "Path where bacula's logs will be stored on Host disk", the log should contain information about what caused the bacula process to crash. Otherwise, within the container, you need to run the process in debug mode:

/opt/bacula/bin/bacula-dir -u bacula -g bacula -v -d 1

if you know that the problem will occur within 6 minutes, then after 6 minutes you will see the following error in the console.

And fyi, bacula-fd does not connect to bacula-dir, it is always bacula-dir that connects. bacula-fd can make connections to bacula-sd.

bacula hasn't written any logs for some weeks now. Not sure why. I suspected it had to do with permissions and removed the log folders for apache and bacula so the were created new, but no bacula logs were written, so t here I am blind. Will try running with debug info. This is the result:

root@4148d66cce87:/# bacula-dir: dird_conf.c:2480-0 runscript cmd=/opt/bacula/scripts/make_catalog_backup.pl MyCatalog type=|
bacula-dir: dird_conf.c:2480-0 runscript cmd=/opt/bacula/scripts/delete_catalog_backup type=|
bacula-dir: dird_conf.c:2480-0 runscript cmd=purge volume action=all allpools storage=unraid-tier1-storage type=@
bacula-dir: dird_conf.c:2480-0 runscript cmd=prune expired volume yes type=@
bacula-dir: dird_conf.c:2480-0 runscript cmd=truncate volume allpools storage=unraid-tier1-storage type=@
bacula-dir: dird_conf.c:2480-0 runscript cmd=truncate volume allpools storage=unraid-tier2-storage type=@
root@4148d66cce87:/# Bacula interrupted by signal 11: Segmentation violation
Kaboom! bacula-dir, bacula-dir got signal 11 - Segmentation violation at 29-Jul-2022 22:08:08. Attempting traceback.
Kaboom! exepath=/opt/bacula/bin/
Calling: /opt/bacula/bin/btraceback /opt/bacula/bin/bacula-dir 240 /opt/bacula/working
/bin/sh: 0: cannot open /opt/bacula/bin/btraceback: Permission denied
The btraceback call returned 2
LockDump: /opt/bacula/working/bacula.240.traceback

Segmentation violation!?!? WT*?

bacula.240.traceback:

Attempt to dump locks
threadid=0x14b4673f9700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b467bfd700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4671f8700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4657eb700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b465bed700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4679fc700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b466bf5700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b467dfe700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4665f2700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4677fb700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4669f4700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4661f0700 max=0 current=-1
threadid=0x14b465fef700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4663f1700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b467fff700 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b47429c700 max=0 current=-1
threadid=0x14b47449d700 max=0 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4746b3980 max=1 current=-1
threadid=0x14b4746b2700 max=0 current=-1
Attempt to dump current JCRs. njcrs=3
threadid=0x14b4746b3980 JobId=0 JobStatus=R jcr=0x562ee58811f8 name=*JobMonitor*.2022-07-29_22.07.54_01
        use_count=1 killable=0
        JobType=I JobLevel=
        sched_time=29-Jul-2022 22:07 start_time=29-Jul-2022 22:07
        end_time=01-Jan-1970 01:00 wait_time=01-Jan-1970 01:00
        db=(nil) db_batch=(nil) batch_started=0
        wstore=0x562ee5848bd8 rstore=(nil) wjcr=(nil) client=0x562ee5841918 reschedule_count=0 SD_msg_chan_started=0
threadid=0x14b4679fc700 JobId=0 JobStatus=R jcr=0x14b45800b098 name=-Console-.2022-07-29_22.08.08_06
        use_count=1 killable=0
        JobType=U JobLevel=
        sched_time=29-Jul-2022 22:08 start_time=29-Jul-2022 22:08
        wstore=0x562ee5848bd8 rstore=(nil) wjcr=(nil) client=0x562ee5841918 reschedule_count=0 SD_msg_chan_started=0
threadid=0x14b4673f9700 JobId=0 JobStatus=R jcr=0x14b44c00b328 name=-Console-.2022-07-29_22.08.08_11
        use_count=1 killable=0
        JobType=U JobLevel=
        sched_time=29-Jul-2022 22:08 start_time=29-Jul-2022 22:08
List plugins. Hook count=0

I tried the b48 and the b49 image, both behave the same. I also removed br0 that was created for Timemachine container. Even rebooted. The Director is still crashing.

Regarding the FD connection direction you are mistaken. Since 11 there is a new way to make the FD connect to the director, which is needed if the FD is behind a firewall and the director cannot connect to it. I can elaborate if you like.

Edited by b0m541

@b0m541
try this version  pwa666/bacula-server:11-postgresql-b0m
It is a liitle bigger, because I made it from previous image with some permission fixes. Tell me if it can run longer then "6 minutes".

Try to not make any backups, because if I remember You have mounted backup disks outside /mnt/bacula, and could be some permission issues.
I only want to know if it can run longer, and without "segmentantion error"

Thanks for this! I found the cause for the segmentatoin violation. I had a misbehaving FD that connected very often and in quick repetition to the director. The director did not like this and crashed. Since I tamed this FD, the director works again normally.

I think this is a bug in the bacula-director, and probably not a thing that you could have remediated with the bacula version you are using.

Hence, there is no need to check out the "special" container. I reported the problem, I hope it will be fixed in forthcoming versions of Bacula.

my experience in the past few days and suggestions for a better life:

- btraceback does not work in the container, it might be useful for troubleshooting

-bsmtp is pretty much useless in a standard environment, reasons

(1) the container hostname equals the container ID and cannot be set using "hostname" to an FQDN - normal mailers refuse to accept mail from non FQDN hostnames: suggestion: allow proper usage of the hostname command

(2) bsmtp is unable to authenticate the user: suggestion: install postfix as client sender in the container (standard config as forwarder to a local mailserver)

- nothing can be installed in the container because apt isn't there: suggestion: provide a working apt in the container

14 hours ago, b0m541 said:

- btraceback does not work in the container, it might be useful for troubleshooting

I know this, the permission problem, because you confirmed that you are breaking this container with your own configuration, I already had a fix prepared so that further analysis could be carried out. Will come out in the next version.

-bsmtp is pretty much useless in a standard environment, reasons

No, it's not useless. If you had read carefully what I wrote earlier, you would have known that I was in the process of preparing a container version with email notification functionality. Previously, the container was built from packages available in the bacula repository, but this repository has stopped working. There was no image update for a month. To avoid this in the future, I started building an image using the source code to build binaries. That's when you started to insist that the most important thing is that the vchanger should be added. But I am writing this for the third time.

the container hostname equals the container ID and cannot be set using "hostname" to an FQDN - normal mailers refuse to accept mail from non FQDN hostnames: suggestion: allow proper usage of the hostname command

You can set any hostname in the container, including fqdn, but not with hostname command. And it's not a problem that I blocked it in some way.

bsmtp is unable to authenticate the user: suggestion: install postfix as client sender in the container (standard config as forwarder to a local mailserver)

This is a simple smtp client, not a mail relay. It does not have the option of authorization, but it has the function of configuring what the bacula should send, e.g. what logs should be attached to the e-mail and you do not need to use any scripts to cut a fragment of the log file, as you would have to do in postfix.

nothing can be installed in the container because apt isn't there: suggestion: provide a working apt in the container

Really? Then watch this

root@000e3388ed49:/# which apt
/usr/bin/apt
root@000e3388ed49:/# apt install psutils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  dbus fontconfig-config fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono fonts-urw-base35 ghostscript libapparmor1 libavahi-client3
  libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libdeflate0 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgs9 libgs9-common
  libidn11 libijs-0.35 libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 libjpeg62-turbo liblcms2-2 libopenjp2-7 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpng16-16
  libtiff5 libwebp6 poppler-data
Suggested packages:
  default-dbus-session-bus | dbus-session-bus fonts-noto fonts-freefont-otf | fonts-freefont-ttf fonts-texgyre ghostscript-x
  cups-common liblcms2-utils poppler-utils fonts-japanese-mincho | fonts-ipafont-mincho fonts-japanese-gothic
  | fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming fonts-nanum
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dbus fontconfig-config fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono fonts-urw-base35 ghostscript libapparmor1 libavahi-client3
  libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libdeflate0 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgs9 libgs9-common
  libidn11 libijs-0.35 libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 libjpeg62-turbo liblcms2-2 libopenjp2-7 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpng16-16
  libtiff5 libwebp6 poppler-data psutils
0 upgraded, 31 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 17.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 62.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libapparmor1 amd64 2.13.6-10 [99.3 kB]
Get:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libdbus-1-3 amd64 1.12.20-2 [219 kB]
Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 dbus amd64 1.12.20-2 [239 kB]
Get:4 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 fonts-droid-fallback all 1:6.0.1r16-1.1 [1807 kB]
Get:5 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 poppler-data all 0.4.10-1 [1602 kB]
Get:6 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 fonts-urw-base35 all 20200910-1 [6367 kB]
Get:7 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 fontconfig-config all 2.13.1-4.2 [281 kB]
Get:8 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 fonts-noto-mono all 20201225-1 [402 kB]
Get:9 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libgs9-common all 9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2 [734 kB]
Get:10 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libavahi-common-data amd64 0.8-5 [124 kB]
Get:11 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libavahi-common3 amd64 0.8-5 [58.4 kB]
Get:12 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libavahi-client3 amd64 0.8-5 [62.1 kB]
Get:13 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libcups2 amd64 2.3.3op2-3+deb11u2 [350 kB]
Get:14 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libpng16-16 amd64 1.6.37-3 [294 kB]
Get:15 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libfreetype6 amd64 2.10.4+dfsg-1+deb11u1 [418 kB]
Get:16 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libfontconfig1 amd64 2.13.1-4.2 [347 kB]
Get:17 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libidn11 amd64 1.33-3 [116 kB]
Get:18 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libijs-0.35 amd64 0.35-15 [16.4 kB]
Get:19 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libjbig2dec0 amd64 0.19-2 [67.2 kB]
Get:20 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libjpeg62-turbo amd64 1:2.0.6-4 [151 kB]
Get:21 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 liblcms2-2 amd64 2.12~rc1-2 [150 kB]
Get:22 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libopenjp2-7 amd64 2.4.0-3 [172 kB]
Get:23 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libpaper1 amd64 1.1.28+b1 [21.6 kB]
Get:24 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libdeflate0 amd64 1.7-1 [53.1 kB]
Get:25 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libjbig0 amd64 2.1-3.1+b2 [31.0 kB]
Get:26 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libwebp6 amd64 0.6.1-2.1 [258 kB]
Get:27 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libtiff5 amd64 4.2.0-1+deb11u1 [289 kB]
Get:28 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libgs9 amd64 9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2 [2245 kB]
Get:29 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 ghostscript amd64 9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2 [98.0 kB]
Get:30 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 libpaper-utils amd64 1.1.28+b1 [18.3 kB]
Get:31 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 psutils amd64 1.17.dfsg-4 [59.1 kB]
Fetched 17.1 MB in 1s (16.3 MB/s)    
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Selecting previously unselected package libapparmor1:amd64.
(Reading database ... 16918 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../00-libapparmor1_2.13.6-10_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libapparmor1:amd64 (2.13.6-10) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libdbus-1-3:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../01-libdbus-1-3_1.12.20-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libdbus-1-3:amd64 (1.12.20-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package dbus.
Preparing to unpack .../02-dbus_1.12.20-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking dbus (1.12.20-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fonts-droid-fallback.
Preparing to unpack .../03-fonts-droid-fallback_1%3a6.0.1r16-1.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking fonts-droid-fallback (1:6.0.1r16-1.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package poppler-data.
Preparing to unpack .../04-poppler-data_0.4.10-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking poppler-data (0.4.10-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fonts-urw-base35.
Preparing to unpack .../05-fonts-urw-base35_20200910-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking fonts-urw-base35 (20200910-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fontconfig-config.
Preparing to unpack .../06-fontconfig-config_2.13.1-4.2_all.deb ...
Unpacking fontconfig-config (2.13.1-4.2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fonts-noto-mono.
Preparing to unpack .../07-fonts-noto-mono_20201225-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking fonts-noto-mono (20201225-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgs9-common.
Preparing to unpack .../08-libgs9-common_9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2_all.deb ...
Unpacking libgs9-common (9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libavahi-common-data:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../09-libavahi-common-data_0.8-5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libavahi-common-data:amd64 (0.8-5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libavahi-common3:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../10-libavahi-common3_0.8-5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libavahi-common3:amd64 (0.8-5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libavahi-client3:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../11-libavahi-client3_0.8-5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libavahi-client3:amd64 (0.8-5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libcups2:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../12-libcups2_2.3.3op2-3+deb11u2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libcups2:amd64 (2.3.3op2-3+deb11u2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpng16-16:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../13-libpng16-16_1.6.37-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libpng16-16:amd64 (1.6.37-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libfreetype6:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../14-libfreetype6_2.10.4+dfsg-1+deb11u1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libfreetype6:amd64 (2.10.4+dfsg-1+deb11u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libfontconfig1:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../15-libfontconfig1_2.13.1-4.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libfontconfig1:amd64 (2.13.1-4.2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libidn11:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../16-libidn11_1.33-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libidn11:amd64 (1.33-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libijs-0.35:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../17-libijs-0.35_0.35-15_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libijs-0.35:amd64 (0.35-15) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libjbig2dec0:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../18-libjbig2dec0_0.19-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libjbig2dec0:amd64 (0.19-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libjpeg62-turbo:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../19-libjpeg62-turbo_1%3a2.0.6-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libjpeg62-turbo:amd64 (1:2.0.6-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package liblcms2-2:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../20-liblcms2-2_2.12~rc1-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking liblcms2-2:amd64 (2.12~rc1-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libopenjp2-7:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../21-libopenjp2-7_2.4.0-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libopenjp2-7:amd64 (2.4.0-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpaper1:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../22-libpaper1_1.1.28+b1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libpaper1:amd64 (1.1.28+b1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libdeflate0:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../23-libdeflate0_1.7-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libdeflate0:amd64 (1.7-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libjbig0:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../24-libjbig0_2.1-3.1+b2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libjbig0:amd64 (2.1-3.1+b2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libwebp6:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../25-libwebp6_0.6.1-2.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libwebp6:amd64 (0.6.1-2.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libtiff5:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../26-libtiff5_4.2.0-1+deb11u1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libtiff5:amd64 (4.2.0-1+deb11u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgs9:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../27-libgs9_9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgs9:amd64 (9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package ghostscript.
Preparing to unpack .../28-ghostscript_9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking ghostscript (9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpaper-utils.
Preparing to unpack .../29-libpaper-utils_1.1.28+b1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libpaper-utils (1.1.28+b1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package psutils.
Preparing to unpack .../30-psutils_1.17.dfsg-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking psutils (1.17.dfsg-4) ...
Setting up liblcms2-2:amd64 (2.12~rc1-2) ...
Setting up libpaper1:amd64 (1.1.28+b1) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 78.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline

Creating config file /etc/papersize with new version
Setting up libapparmor1:amd64 (2.13.6-10) ...
Setting up fonts-noto-mono (20201225-1) ...
Setting up libijs-0.35:amd64 (0.35-15) ...
Setting up libdeflate0:amd64 (1.7-1) ...
Setting up libpaper-utils (1.1.28+b1) ...
Setting up fonts-urw-base35 (20200910-1) ...
Setting up libjbig0:amd64 (2.1-3.1+b2) ...
Setting up poppler-data (0.4.10-1) ...
Setting up libjpeg62-turbo:amd64 (1:2.0.6-4) ...
Setting up libjbig2dec0:amd64 (0.19-2) ...
Setting up libidn11:amd64 (1.33-3) ...
Setting up libavahi-common-data:amd64 (0.8-5) ...
Setting up libdbus-1-3:amd64 (1.12.20-2) ...
Setting up dbus (1.12.20-2) ...
invoke-rc.d: could not determine current runlevel
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
Setting up libpng16-16:amd64 (1.6.37-3) ...
Setting up libwebp6:amd64 (0.6.1-2.1) ...
Setting up libopenjp2-7:amd64 (2.4.0-3) ...
Setting up libtiff5:amd64 (4.2.0-1+deb11u1) ...
Setting up fonts-droid-fallback (1:6.0.1r16-1.1) ...
Setting up psutils (1.17.dfsg-4) ...
Setting up libgs9-common (9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2) ...
Setting up fontconfig-config (2.13.1-4.2) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 78.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Setting up libavahi-common3:amd64 (0.8-5) ...
Setting up libfreetype6:amd64 (2.10.4+dfsg-1+deb11u1) ...
Setting up libfontconfig1:amd64 (2.13.1-4.2) ...
Setting up libavahi-client3:amd64 (0.8-5) ...
Setting up libcups2:amd64 (2.3.3op2-3+deb11u2) ...
Setting up libgs9:amd64 (9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2) ...
Setting up ghostscript (9.53.3~dfsg-7+deb11u2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+deb11u3) ...
root@000e3388ed49:/# ps aux
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1  0.0  0.0  28916 19664 ?        Ss   Aug01   0:44 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/supervisord -n -c /etc/supervisord.conf
bacula     174  0.0  0.0 885804  4516 ?        Ssl  Aug01   0:05 /opt/bacula/bin/bacula-sd -u bacula -g tape -v -c /opt/bacula/etc
root       181  0.0  0.0 277116  1988 ?        Ssl  Aug01   0:03 /opt/bacula/bin/bacula-fd -v -c /opt/bacula/etc/bacula-fd.conf
bacula     188  0.0  0.0 1236664 7240 ?        Ssl  Aug01   0:02 /opt/bacula/bin/bacula-dir -u bacula -g bacula -v -c /opt/bacula/
root       199  0.0  0.0   2420   524 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -D FOREGROUND
root       201  0.0  0.0 209304 20292 ?        S    Aug01   0:14 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
www-data   202  0.0  0.0 209384  8856 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
www-data   203  0.0  0.0 209384  8856 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
www-data   204  0.0  0.0 209384  8856 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
www-data   205  0.0  0.0 209384  8856 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
www-data   206  0.0  0.0 209384  8856 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
root      7398  0.0  0.0   4100  3292 pts/0    Ss+  Aug01   0:00 bash
root     17717  0.0  0.0   4100  3496 pts/1    Ss   12:19   0:00 bash
root     19475  0.0  0.0   6700  3012 pts/1    R+   12:45   0:00 ps aux
www-data 22127  0.0  0.0 209384  8856 ?        S    Aug01   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -D FOREGROUND
root@000e3388ed49:/#

Since the last change in this image, I have been working for my employer 12-14 hours a day to finish the project and be able to go on vacation calmly and forgive me for taking into account several dozen people who wanted to migrate the entire virtual environment to the new hypervisor as soon as possible and it was a bit more urgent than implementing the email notification service in this docker, which you have been ignoring so far. Forgive me also that I want to spend my vacation with my family in exchange for the last weeks, when I didn't have time for them. Also, forgive me that your need to implement vchanger will be postponed, because after returning to work, an interesting project to implement ceph storage in my organization awaits. Forgive me for being teased too, but I don't like someone trying to lecture me but proving that they have no idea about it.

This is my hobby, I don't have to do it, I can stop writing back to you like some other docker developers. And you can stop using this docker, it is your choice. I answered your every problem and even if I came home late from work, I found the strength and time to analyze your problem. And you without a second thought, google check, you say that I blocked to use apt in the container as well as the hostname settings. Regards

On 8/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, VRx said:

Firstly let me clarify that I have no expectations whatsoever, as I know this is a voluntary effort.

I am merely making suggestions, feel free to not implement them or to ignore them. They are not made to infuriate you, sorry that this is what you feel about them. I can certainly stop making suggestions if it is stressful for you.

About bsmtp: one may actually relax some SPAM settings in postfix (which I use) to get bsmtp to work. Depending on what setup is used these settings might be more or less hidden, e.g. in Synology DMS Mail Server.

I firstly tried to install postfix in the container, but apt failed (honestly). When I executed apt today it worked, so I need to apologize, whatever went wrong that day on my end has nothing to do with you. I wouldn't have thought that you take something like when someone said "X doesn't work" personal, it certainly isn't meant like that.

So apalogies again, and let me assure you, on my end there are no bad vibes, just trying to make suggestions.

Have a nice weekend.

Edited by b0m541
On 8/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, VRx said:

you confirmed that you are breaking this container with your own configuration

regarding this: the configuration with selected FDs connecting to the director is actually legit. The feature is new in 11 and just not yet very mature and I have reported the problems elsewhere. It is quite possible that the feature is not in widespread use yet. For a better understanding: the FD side connection scheduling doesn't work fully correctly, and the FDs start to poll quite aggressively. The Director should still be able to handle this, but there seems to be a bug so that it crashes in such a situation. These things are nothing you or me can do much about (well, I have disabled these FDs for now). It is possible that bacula 13 doesn't have these problems any more, we will see.

Edited by b0m541

regarding logging: I currently have the bacula.log on unraid and I am getting the messages via email. This works fine.

I also have a central syslog-ng (this is another container on unraid), where all my services and devices log to over the network. That makes it really more comfortable to identify new problems and also helps with troubleshooting because one is able to see a more complete picture of the situation at hand.

I think it would be nice to also have the bacula logs in the central syslog.

What would you suggest how to achieve this with your container? Is there already something in there that would allow this functionality? Or would I need to install rsyslog via apt?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been testing this Bacula container for a few days now as a replacement for my current backup solution and so far I think I like it.

One thing I rely on heavily is ZFS deduplication for my backups and I was looking for how to get that working properly in Bacula.

I found some documentation that basically says that a bacula-aligned plugin needs to be installed for dedup to work with Bacula volumes.   

Deduplication Optimized Volume

I don't know anything about building docker containers but is that something that could be added to this docker image?

But regardless, thanks for the great job on getting this docker put together. 

-dan

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, VRx said:

@b0m541 there is alpha version with vchanger compiled:
bacula-server:11-sq3-vchanger
bacula-server:11-pg-vchanger

You can test it, but remember that You must mount disk into docker container as path, and use path in the vchanger config, and it will be better for You if You make config file in the bacula config path instead every path in the container filesystem.

@VRx Thank you so much for your effort for providing this. I had a lot of non-computer things going on and hadn't seen this for a long time. Sorry for that.

I have now successfully integrated vchanger and I think your effort has paid off.

I will monitor the ongoing daily use of vchanger and if it is stable I'll let you know in a while, so that it can be put into the frquently updated container.

Thanks again and all the best

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, VRx said:

@b0m541 there is alpha version with vchanger compiled:
bacula-server:11-sq3-vchanger
bacula-server:11-pg-vchanger

You can test it, but remember that You must mount disk into docker container as path, and use path in the vchanger config, and it will be better for You if You make config file in the bacula config path instead every path in the container filesystem.

I have vchanger in your container now running for quite a while and it works solidly. Switch-over from one HDD to another worked fine. I believe it would be safe to integrate vchanger with the latest container now.

All the best!

• Thanks 1
  • VRx changed the title to [Support] Bacula-Server
  • VRx unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic