Does Unraid Show HDD Temperatures?

Interesting.  Any idea how Unraid reads the temperatures (via smartctl, hddtemp, sysfs attribute, etc)?  Cause everything I've read so far about reading drive temperatures in general states that reading the temperature is considered drive activity and will prevent the drives from falling asleep if the temperatures are read often enough (for example if they are read every 5 minutes and the drives are configured to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity they will never fall asleep cause the drive will think there is activity ever 5 minutes).

Thanked,

Harry

5 hours ago, HarryMuscle said:

Interesting.  Any idea how Unraid reads the temperatures (via smartctl, hddtemp, sysfs attribute, etc)?

I think that it uses smartctl.

5 hours ago, HarryMuscle said:

Cause everything I've read so far about reading drive temperatures in general states that reading the temperature is considered drive activity and will prevent the drives from falling asleep if the temperatures are read often enough (for example if they are read every 5 minutes and the drives are configured to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity they will never fall asleep cause the drive will think there is activity ever 5 minutes).

This is incorrect, it does not prevent spindown of HDDs.

For illustration, here is the temperature curve of two of my HDDs with very different activity over two days. As Graphana insists on drawing a line between the last registered value and the new temperature value on spin up, there is a downward regular slope.

The occasional spin up on the blue drive are most probably instances where the system activated turbo write (thus spinning all drives).

But I have higher than usual drive activities those few days. In regular use, often see 15+ hours of down time.

image.thumb.png.22272bd89f3ce518f39216660d74c861.png