Grandprix's 24 drive 138TB capable build

Seems us 800+ watt PS folks have no choice but PFC power supplies.  And, from reading, it would seem that the backup I had in mind doesn't play nice with an active pfc PS.  So, have a pure sine wave UPS enroute, its a Cyberpower vice APC, but, will deal with that later.  Ubuntu has a driver for Cyberpower, maybe Slackware/unRAID does/will too, haven't really looked into pkg's yet.

Preclearing some drives.  The 500GB is on the two port controller, I -think-, really, I'm unsure how to tell yet.  I suspect I will want to know this sooner than later, but for now, all drives are fresh drives, thus getting precleared.  The other drives that will make their way into the unraid box have data on them that need transferred off once unraid is all setup and ready to go.

preclear_1.jpg

preclear_2.jpg

30 minutes in atm, no drive above 29 degrees.  Hope I don't lose power! <grin>

Turns out the gigabit problem was due to my cable. It says Cat6 right on it, but apparently that means nothing. I used another 50ft Cat6 cable and the switch is showing 1000mbit as well as ethtool :)

BTW, this board boots FAST compared to my ancient, early Core2duo board. I can't decide if I want to keep everything in the Aerocool case of move everything to my Antec 900. I removed all the cage fans, so that massive 240mm fan would surely benefit airflow even though I'm seeing 29-30C idle and 33C during preclear for temps which isn't bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to note, still running strong after 2 years and 4 months, my goodness, has it been that long.. nutty.  Seemed like just yesterday.

Has seen upgrades of additional hard drives, transitioning from 2TB's to 3TB's, etc.  Of course, soon after I got my first 3TB, the 4TB's were available and not much more costly.  Pfft.  Doubt I'll make the move to 4TB's unless the prices come down by a ridiculously amount.

Now what to do with all the 2TB hard drives that I pulled for the new 3TB?  Make a NEW unraid server of course! <grin>

Just to note, still running strong after 2 years and 4 months, my goodness, has it been that long.. nutty.  Seemed like just yesterday.

Has seen upgrades of additional hard drives, transitioning from 2TB's to 3TB's, etc.  Of course, soon after I got my first 3TB, the 4TB's were available and not much more costly.  Pfft.  Doubt I'll make the move to 4TB's unless the prices come down by a ridiculously amount.

Now what to do with all the 2TB hard drives that I pulled for the new 3TB?  Make a NEW unraid server of course! <grin>

What do you need 88TB for out of interest?

What do you need 88TB for out of interest?

Files of course. :)

• 7 months later...

Grandprix

I've been thinking of modeling my first unraid from your design. Was hoping you would provide a little input while I'm still in the planning stage. Things you wish you had done differently or would change to accommodate new items, that sort of thing. I plan on using this primarily as a media server for XBMC. Won't be doing any on the fly transcoding. Might use it for Time Machine backups (still undecided). Will probably load it with 3TB Reds. Maybe 4TB drives later if the prices get better.

Buy at least one 4TB for your parity drive (or even a 5 if they come out)

that way, when you want to upgrade a year from now with some bigger drives, you don't have to buy +1 because your pairty is too small.

I have all 2TB drives, so if I want to start adding 4TB drives, I have to get +1 just to start adding them.

• 4 months later...

Well, old girl will be getting a facelift this week (determined by when I receive the m1015's and new SAS cables).

It's held up quite well, running 24/7 of course.  She'll look a little more like her brother "Davey" (never did make a compulsive post for that one now that I remember) but, older, wiser, thus more powerful.  And this machine will hopefully bring me into the VM'ing world, or at least Dockers (which I do not yet understand entirely, albeit, I've not read much about them either).  Currently, I run an i7-3770k machine as the PMS for serving media from Tower and Davey, so essentially three machines.  I plan to eliminate having to use that i7 (which also runs 24/7).  They're probably be some data juggle between Davey and Tower (that name may change to reflect the new changes, maybe, naturally it's not that important) since Tower will be newer.  Time will tell.  I'll provide pictures, albeit, most here know what it all looks like anymore anyway.