A few odd questions...

So a little backstory I was running the trial of Unraid, decided to go back to Ubuntu + Snapraid/MergerFS setup since I wasn't sure I wanted to pay for Unraid. I think I have finally hit the point where dealing with the annoying little idiosyncrasies of the Ubuntu setup I want to just pay and move on with my life.

So my question is when I converted the system back I just left the data disks as XFS with way Unraid had laid them out. I did delete/recreate the two cache pools. My question is if I take the USB stick that is still formatted will I be able to just pick up where I left off on the array side and re-create the cache pools. (I know I lost the docker.img and libvirt.img files).

Below is the tree layout:

➜  tmp tree -L 1 /mnt/disk{1,2,3}
/mnt/disk1
├── downloads
├── isos
├── Movies
├── Music
├── Photos
├── Software
└── TV Shows
/mnt/disk2
├── Movies
├── Photos
├── TV Shows
└── Videos
/mnt/disk3
├── downloads
├── isos
├── Movies
├── Time Capsule
├── TV Shows
└── Videos

7 minutes ago, glennbrown said:

Should I re-create empty shares on the Array drives for appdata, domains, system

Typically you want those particular shares on cache or other pool and not in the parity array, so your dockers/VMs will perform better and won't keep array disks spunup since those files are always open.

20 hours ago, trurl said:

Typically you want those particular shares on cache or other pool and not in the parity array, so your dockers/VMs will perform better and won't keep array disks spunup since those files are always open.

I was going to put them on a cache pool but just wasn't sure if I should create empty folders on the array as well. 

Tomorrow going to boot backup into Unraid and will see how it goes.

3 hours ago, glennbrown said:

if I should create empty folders on the array

My point is that you don't want folders for those shares on the parity array. If you setup those shares to use a pool, and you specify those shares in Settings - Docker and Settings - VM Manager, then folders for those shares will be created automatically on the specified pool.

And in general, it isn't necessary to create any folders yourself for any user share. If you create a user share, Unraid will automatically create top level folders on pool or array as needed according to the settings for the share.

Just wanted to report back, system is back up and everything is happy. Parity is rebuilding. Was nice and painless.

Only real issue is completely not related to Unraid, the Plex DB's corrupted on me yet again. I am not sure why but they seem temperamental to being rsync'd this happened when I converted back to my Ubuntu setup too, Thank god for backups. 

• Like 1