Backup unraid to an other NAS

Denis77

Hi All,

I'm a newbie, and I'm very sotisfied with it! Now I'm looking for a safe way to backup my data (content of a share of about 2TB) to my second nas mounted as remote in unraid...

- Duplicati: the recovery is not granted...

- Duplicacy: doesn't support local storage (at least I has not been able to set it up)

- Borg: I would like something with a gui, because I won't study the cli (I'm lazy)

- rsync: same above

I'm looking for a docker solution, that it's able to create a snapshot with daily differential backup and a full backup monthly/weekly and that will be copied to my 2nd NAS, with a gui to menage it... does it exist? I can pay for it if it cover my needs...

thanx in advance for any suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

Why not docker Duplicacy? Can you expand what you mean about it not supporting local storage?

In the docker container you should map the internal path to the share so it can "see" the share to back it up.

I've got Borg + Vorta running and it's a pretty nice setup. I was able to set up Borg with a simple config file, and it's been rock solid since. I'm not much of a CLI user myself, but this one is user friendly. You can get a free Borgmatic repo 20GB to practice uploading as well. This would be my first recommendation just because of how powerful the deduplication is.

Duplicaci is my secondary that I'm playing with, backing up to a cloud. The GUI was semi-intuitive but I had to do some research on how to use it.

rsync is easy CLI that you can set up with a userscript, but, I'm not sure about versioning. This seems like a straight copy.

Duplicati can burn in a dumpster fire.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
4 hours ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

Why not docker Duplicacy? Can you expand what you mean about it not supporting local storage?

In the docker container you should map the internal path to the share so it can "see" the share to back it up.

I've got Borg + Vorta running and it's a pretty nice setup. I was able to set up Borg with a simple config file, and it's been rock solid since. I'm not much of a CLI user myself, but this one is user friendly. You can get a free Borgmatic repo 20GB to practice uploading as well. This would be my first recommendation just because of how powerful the deduplication is.

Duplicaci is my secondary that I'm playing with, backing up to a cloud. The GUI was semi-intuitive but I had to do some research on how to use it.

rsync is easy CLI that you can set up with a userscript, but, I'm not sure about versioning. This seems like a straight copy.

Duplicati can burn in a dumpster fire.

I actually solve my backup problem with a windows vm + macrium reflect... a user script turn on the vm everyday at 8:30am, and macrium it's scheduled to run at 9am and shutdown windows when it have finished... the backup in a network share seems faster with macrium...  I don't know why, but with rsync after a couple of days it was still running, while for a full backup macrium takes around 4 hours... I has not been able to setup Duplicacy storage... but I didn't spent a lot of time on it... I see lot talks good about Borg, but I didn't tried... I'll do because I would prefer a docker to a vm, so during Christmas holidays I'll make some test with borg! I'm very sad about the recovery problem of duplicati, because I really like its interface! it results very easy, but reading online problems seems its not doing the main things safe (recovery)! Thanx a lot for your suggestions, I'll give a try