Does my plan work?

Hi. I'm brand new here, and still waiting on parts to build my NAS. The storage that I've ordered is temporary, and I just wanted to run this by everyone and make sure that my plan will work.

I'm starting out with two 4TB WD Red Plus drives, one for data and one for parity. In addition, I've got a 250GB Samsung 970 Evo SSD for my cache drive.

My enclosure has me limited to four HDDs and my MB will support 2 M.2 SSDs. No problem there, if my plan is solid.

So, here's what I'm thinking. My next drive purchase will be a 18TB Seagate Exos, replacing the 4TB parity drive. I'll move that drive to data. I will purchase 3 more of the Exos drives, one at a time, eventually removing the WD drives. In addition to that, I'm planning on upgrading the existing SSD with a 1TB drive, and adding an additional 1TB mirror for a cache pool.

Does my plan hold water? Are there any problems here?

Thanks 

Hi!

Have you checked you MB manual and how you should populate storage? in most cases internal SATA controllers are limited by the amount of NVME drives installed, for example my server's MB has 6x SATA III and 2x NVME/PCI, if i populate one NVME all of the SATA ports are available but, if two NVMEs are installed i'll have only 4x SATA ports available.

Regarding your plan, it sounds good to me :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

I went with the Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX motherboard. I'm going to install the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (if it ever gets here), and I installed 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR DRAM last night. It has two M.2 slots and four SATA. I've read through the material, and didn't see any of those types of restrictions. It looks like I'm good to run all six devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2021 at 2:14 PM, geoff.gibby said:

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

I went with the Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX motherboard. I'm going to install the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (if it ever gets here), and I installed 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR DRAM last night. It has two M.2 slots and four SATA. I've read through the material, and didn't see any of those types of restrictions. It looks like I'm good to run all six devices.

I like your plan. I also have my eyes on a similar system.

Does your system works ok with the B550i?

I was thinking to build a system using a Gigabyte B550I MB, AMD Ryzen 7 5700G or 5800x, (if I go with the 5800x then I would also use an undecided GPU when prices drop), 2x4TB WD Red SSD's, 64GB RAM (ECC if I use the 5800x) and probably 2x500GB NVMe drives for cache. For the case I was thinking of using the Xproto Mini.

Could use some tips, in case my hardware preferences has bad choices.

• 3 months later...
Hi~ I had same plan with u! But my Dynamix System Temperature didn't work yet, do u have the same problem?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the Dynamix System Temp or the Dynamix Fan plug-ins to work. I've pretty much given up on both, hoping that they'll work when 6.10 comes out of beta.

The temp/fan plugins are not at fault - Ryzen and Linux drivers are more the issue.  Many of the SuperIO chips don't have Linux drivers written for them, as the chip's manufacturers don't supply decent documentation (when they do at all).

There are work arounds, but all carry some sort of risk.  I went down that rabbit hole a year ago, and chose to live without the fan control.

The temp/fan plugins are not at fault - Ryzen and Linux drivers are more the issue.  Many of the SuperIO chips don't have Linux drivers written for them, as the chip's manufacturers don't supply decent documentation (when they do at all).

There are work arounds, but all carry some sort of risk.  I went down that rabbit hole a year ago, and chose to live without the fan control.

Definitely understand... That's where I am. I just live without it.