Adding include/exclude disks to a share

vanrhyn

Can this be done?

Or does the share have to be empty?

Or do I need to start a new share?

If I need to have a blank share how do I delete all files via command prompt?

I want to put all of my backup files (in a seperate directory) on certain disks and then prevent the main media files (the orginal files in a seperate directory) from using the disks for the backup files.

4 hours ago, vanrhyn said:

Can this be done?

Or does the share have to be empty?

Or do I need to start a new share?

If I need to have a blank share how do I delete all files via command prompt?

I want to put all of my backup files (in a seperate directory) on certain disks and then prevent the main media files (the orginal files in a seperate directory) from using the disks for the backup files.

You can choose to include/exclude after files are files are allocated to drives. However, Unraid will not move the files, only assign new files to those specific drives.

But you can move the files manually, either with a file manager like Midnight Commander (mc on the console), Krusader, etc. or with the plugin Unbalance.

• 4 weeks later...

Most-Free is perhaps the least efficient allocation method. The default Highwater allocation is a good compromise that allows all disks to be used eventually, without causing it to constantly switch between disks just because one temporarily has more free than another.

In any case, other things are considered besides allocation method. Split level has precedence. If Split Level says a file belongs on the same disk as other files, that is where they will go.

Also, you should set Minimum Free for each share to larger than the largest file you expect to write to the share. Unraid has no way to know how large a file will become when choosing a disk for it. If a disk has more than Minimum, it can be chosen, and if it is chosen and the file won't fit, the write fails.

Cache (and other pools) also has a Minimum Free setting that works in a similar manner for cache-yes and cache-prefer shares. If cache has less than Minimum, an array disk will be chosen instead (overflow).