[Solved] Unraid 6.9.2 - Intel i225-V networking not recognized.

Talonius

Motherboard:  Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO (F5 BIOS applied)

Processor:  Intel i7-12700K

Memory:  Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200

External GPU:  MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Onboard NIC:  Intel I225

Unraid Version:  6.9.2

Not overclocking.

Not interested in using the integrated GPU.

Problem occurs with old Unraid USB drive in safe mode and normal mode. 

Problem occurs with a new Unraid USB drive as well, in safe mode and normal mode.

NIC is confirmed enabled in BIOS. 

Confirmed cabling and switch are working by installing and running Windows 11.

lshw -class network reports the network interface is unclaimed (no driver has been loaded).

lspci reports the controller as present (Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V [8086:15f3] (rev 03))

image.thumb.png.d9a31874bb98043b4efd06961f2bde0c.png

Everything I've read seems to indicate that 6.9.2 should have the driver for the NIC - it was added in RC2 from what I gathered?

I've attached the diagnostics.  I'd appreciate any guidance.

maladomini-diagnostics-20211115-0624.zip

Edited by Talonius

OK, everybody, this is a nuclear bomb.  Get to work solving my problem or we all go boom!  NOW!

Heheh.

I was afraid that would be the answer.  I can confirm that the "Platinum - USB-C to Ethernet Adapter" from Best Buy works like a charm with Unraid.  $20.00 USD.  (This motherboard has 3 PCIe slots and I have all three filled, 2 with LSI 9211s and the last with a graphics card.)

I'll mark as solved, pending kernel 5.15.

• Talonius changed the title to [Solved] Unraid 6.9.2 - Intel i225-V networking not recognized.
  • 4 months later...

I'm on kernel 5.15 (6.10.0-rc4) and I'm experiencing this issue too, albeit with an B660M AORUS PRO AX. I resorted to another NIC to get my unRAID up and going, but I'd love to know what my issue may be since it seems like 5.15 was supposed to fix it.

Did not recognize during installation and also on OMV (5 and 6) when I went to test to see if it was unRAID specific.

Edited by nbellone
6 minutes ago, nbellone said:

I'm on 5.15 and I'm experiencing this issue too, albeit with an B660M AORUS PRO AX. I resorted to another NIC to get my unRAID up and going, but I'd love to know what my issue may be since it seems like 5.15 was supposed to fix it.

Did not recognize during installation and also on OMV (5 and 6) when I went to test to see if it was unRAID specific.

Is it the same nic type? Suggest starting new thread and post diagnostics.

3 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Is it the same nic type? Suggest starting new thread and post diagnostics.

Interesting turn of events. It never occurred to me to retry it post installation and after everything set up.

Perhaps it just needed to get through installation. More likely it was a different cable; it was initially upstairs on one ethernet cable as I was setting it up and it's now downstairs using a different ethernet cable. I switched from the NIC to the onboard as a test and tried to reach the GUI and...it worked. This just happened like 3 minutes ago.

Kind of embarrassing on my part wouldn't you say? Worst part is I already threw out the NIC's box. :)

Edited by nbellone