After Installing ICH777 Nvidia plugin, I get flashing cursor AFTER selecting GUI boot.

darkleadr

So I've got a Unraid 6.9.2 server that I tossed together with some older parts. 

It's running a MSI a68HM Grenade motherboard with BIOS July 2016.

Anyhow it was running great, until I decided to plug in a Lenovo branded Quadro P200 card.

I shut off the machine, installed the card, booted it up via GUI. Then went into the Apps 

and installed the Nvidia Driver by ich777. 

I tried to install a few different versions of the Nvidia driver, but it still wouldn't detect the

card or see it in the dashboard. (Even though the video was displaying via LCD through that card)

At this point I decided to reboot and this is where the flashing cursor nightmare began.

Strangely, after trying the ich777 Nvidia drivers, after a reobot I get to the GUI open and if I

select GUI, it loads a tonne of processes, and then all I get is a flashing cursor on the top left.

So far, I've uninstalled the Nvidia driver app, and unplugged the card. Unfortuantely now, the

issue still remains.

I plan on installing a Geforce 1050TI card later, but I think the issue will stilll probably remain.

I've read on another forum to remove the old Nvidia drivers, as installing more than 1 might 

cause issues like this. I'm no linux guru, as 99% of my work is in Windows, so I have been

unable to do this. 

I've tossed the diagnostics log here:

https://mega.nz/file/I8pDUIIS#B-pqxgQIwAX4yRhBH6MEgZhJjrtCZ-rD4YqGFbKY5iw

At least I can still log into the server via it's IP as a webpage.

If anyone can please help me out It'd be really really appreciated.

Thanks!

starlighter-diagnostics-20211119-1051.zip

32 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

I tried to install a few different versions of the Nvidia driver, but it still wouldn't detect the

card or see it in the dashboard. (Even though the video was displaying via LCD through that card)

I think you don't rebooted or am I wrong? If you don't reboot after installing the plugin for the first time the drivers are not fully loaded.

At this point I decided to reboot and this is where the flashing cursor nightmare began.

To what card/output is the display attached to? Have you plugged in the display to the onboard graphics or am I wrong?

The Diagnostics that you've posted is after you pulled the card I think?

So far, I've uninstalled the Nvidia driver app, and unplugged the card. Unfortuantely now, the

issue still remains.

Have you rebooted after you've uninstalled the Nvidia Driver plugin?

If anyone can please help me out It'd be really really appreciated.

Next time I would suggest that you post in the plugin support thread for the Nvidia Driver or at least tag me that I see the post since I only saw this post by accident... ;)

Hi ICH777.

thanks very much for the response.

I wanted to post it in the other plugin support thread, but for some reason it's not linking my purchased unraid software email to this login which is the same, so it won't let me post in there for some reason :( 

1. Yeah I did a reboot after the driver installed. And when I tried a different driver from your plugin, still same issue.

2. The flashing cursor right now is also happening when it's plugged directly to the motherboard video output since the card's been removed today.

3. The diagnostics I've posted is AFTER I've removed the card.

4. I did reboot after uninstalling the Nvidia plugin of yours, still flashing cursor after reboot.

So yeah, tonight I will be plugging in the 1050TI and see what happens.

I've readin other threads it may be a CSM bios issue of some sort? I did try to tinker with the bios a few times in regards to this, but no success.

I have a USB backup of my unraid that's a few months old. I am considering trying to load that, with the new video card and see what happens.

Any ideas or any suggestions to try?

Also in one other thread, it said that if you install too many nvidia drivers via your plugin, that may cause issues, and you must uninstall them all.

I'm not linux smart, especially slack so I wasn't able to get any commandlines to work to uninstall them.

Thanks!!!!

28 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

1. Yeah I did a reboot after the driver installed. And when I tried a different driver from your plugin, still same issue.

Yes, a different driver won't change this, if you plugged in the display to the iGPU you have to edit the file like in this post with this single command (this will only work if you have installed the Nvidia Driver plugin):

30 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

2. The flashing cursor right now is also happening when it's plugged directly to the motherboard video output since the card's been removed today.

But have you rebooted since then?

31 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

3. The diagnostics I've posted is AFTER I've removed the card.

Does it show up in the system devices after you put the card in the server without the driver installed? Does your PCIe slot deliver enough power to the card?

33 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

4. I did reboot after uninstalling the Nvidia plugin of yours, still flashing cursor after reboot.

This shouldn't happen if the plugin is uninstalled and you've rebooted once, since the plugin causes this blinking cursor, if it's not installed then it shouldn't cause this.

34 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

I've readin other threads it may be a CSM bios issue of some sort? I did try to tinker with the bios a few times in regards to this, but no success.

The blinking cursor is a thing caused by the plugin when the display is plugged in to the onboard graphics and can be solved with the linked post above.

35 minutes ago, darkleadr said:

Also in one other thread, it said that if you install too many nvidia drivers via your plugin, that may cause issues, and you must uninstall them all.

In what thread? Can you link it? You can only install one driver and not multiple drivers and the driver is always installed on boot, I had one user that thought that the Nvidia Driver caused a system freeze because his shares disappeared but this was not caused by the plugin, this was caused by a Docker container.

Just to explain it a bit:

1. If you change the plugin version on the plugin page only the driver number in the settings file is changed
  2. After that a message should appear that you have to reboot to install the driver
  3. Reboot
  4. The plugin is installed and checks what driver version is specified in the settings file
  5. The plugin scans the packages directory if the driver package for the specified version is available locally and also scans if old versions are available locally and deletes them
  6. If the package is available locally the driver is installed, if not it is downloaded and installed

Hope this explains why you don't have to uninstall anything, the plugin is designed in that way that the user have to do nothing and the packages are always tidied up automatically.

Hi Ich777. Sorry about the late response. Long story short, I went to pick up a new motherboard and cpu and had a bunch of issues with

the motherboard being damaged. It seems the old motherboard didn't have enough space for my sata controller as well as the gtx1050ti.

So once I get the new system up and running and the unraid booted up I will get back to you. 

Thanks!!!!! Really appreciate the help.

• Like 1

Hi @ich777

Ok so partially good news.

I've assembled a new computer, the motherboard is: ASUS 590-V with intel i5 CPU.

I've plugged in the USB boot thumbdrive into the computer.

Finally after tinkering with the BIOS I've been able to boot it up.

*** NOW the flashing cursor is gone and I can actually get into the GUI now.

I didn't see the graphics card Asus GTX1050Ti under the main dashboard though still.

So I decided to go and install your Nvidia plugin. After it installed I rebooted the computer.

I still don't see the 1050ti card under the main dashboard.

The card however is functioning enough that It's connected and I can log in via the gui.

What would you recommend I do at this point?

Thanks!!!

FYI. After the diags I sent you, I went into  Tools - System Devices and checked off the 1050ti, and then rebooted.

After the reboot, the GUI would not load again, so I went back and unchecked it again. Rebooted and now GUI is back.

Thanks.

Edited by darkleadr
Changed setting back after no gui access.
7 hours ago, darkleadr said:

Not sure if I am missing something in the dashboard or if this is actually how it's supposed to work.

The card is properly recognized and if you want to see it on the Dashboard in unRAID you have to install the GPU Statistics plugin from @b3rs3rk and configure it so that it displays your Nvidia card.

7 hours ago, darkleadr said:

FYI. After the diags I sent you, I went into  Tools - System Devices and checked off the 1050ti, and then rebooted.

I think I don't understand this... The screenshots and the Diagnostics where taken with ticked check boxes on the Tools -> System Devices for the card or not?

If you bind it to VFIO (that's basically what you do when you tick the check boxes on the System Devices page) unRAID or better speaking the plugin can't use the card because it's reserved for exclusive use in VMs.

So everything is working I think from your posts, except that you don't see the card on the Dashboard?

• Like 1

Yes, when I bind it, the GUI stops working. But can I still acces via IP.

If I want to use the video card for transcoding in the plex , does it need to be bound?

Plex is currently running in my docker.

But yeah everything now seems to be working great when I don't bind it I think.

I'm just not 100% sure if the trancoding will be done through the video card or not at this point,

and how to tell if it is.

I am curious, is the latest version of the driver of yours I have set to be using there, using your nvidia package-

is it unlocked so that Plex can use more transcodes than the standard nvidia drivers?

Thanks!!

On 11/26/2021 at 4:23 PM, darkleadr said:

If I want to use the video card for transcoding in the plex , does it need to be bound?

Plex is currently running in my docker.

No, please read the official support thread.

But yeah everything now seems to be working great when I don't bind it I think.

I'm just not 100% sure if the trancoding will be done through the video card or not at this point,

and how to tell if it is.

Again, please read the official support thread.

I am curious, is the latest version of the driver of yours I have set to be using there, using your nvidia package-

is it unlocked so that Plex can use more transcodes than the standard nvidia drivers?

Please read the official support thread, this violates the EULA and also the Forum rules and posts about that will be removed and could lead to a take down from the plugin itself.

I close this thread now, if you got any further questions please use the official support thread.

• ich777 locked this topic