how to opt out of the new User Profile Component (UPC) in 6.10 and all following releases

On 11/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, limetech said:

If you don't want to use your forum account to associate with your keys, then just create a different forum account.

I'm about to pull the trigger on Unraid (pending a successful trial the next few weeks); I actually bought the HW and built the system a few years back, but life got in the way and I made do with an awful maze of external drives.
I was very concerned with the way the release notes for 6.10 started, as a strong opponent of cloud computing and the way every Thing vendor is trying to get every customer logged on 100% of the time for every little thing. Apple was the first major offender here with iCloud, but Microsoft has followed suit, and the worst of all is Tesla.
Since I might end up posting a lot of info about my system or usage in the Forum, I didn't like the direct association of my server credentials with a public forum account.
Anyway, the above quote is an absolutely fine solution for me. Since a Forum signon doesn't require any PII (no real-life name or address, I just rechecked), I'll be maintaining a dummy account for this.
Being able to do this wasn't a given, since lots of online forums, especially official company-owned ones, forbid multiple accounts for the same person and sometimes enforce it quite strongly (banning the user outright); I think there would be a lot less pushback if Limeware emphasized that it is possible.

Incidentally, Limeware will now also have to come up with a policy of what to do if a forum user seriously violates the forum behavioral guidelines. Banning, even temporarily, that user's logon is no longer possible, because s/he still needs to access UPC.
Sure, from all I've seen (been casually reading the forum for several years, some threads & subjects in depth) this isn't a common problem here -- discussion is remarkably even-keeled, even on "religious" subjects. Still, there has to be both a policy and a way to technically implement it.

Re the various questions @eweitzman raised about what type of info would be collected and how, that's a rather complicated question -- basically, anyone who has a forum member's username can scrape all his/her posts and any information posted in them... That's not info Limeware is ever likely to collect itself, of course, but if the DB associating Unraid server addresses and emails gets hacked, there might be bad outcomes.
That's why I'd recommend that anyone who doesn't intend to use the UPC-based applications, MyServers and/or future ones, keep their active forum account and UPC account separate.
Also, while it is a minor manner, I'd also appreciate an option for not having the signon field on the WebGUI banner: I think it belongs on an Admin page like Management Access anyway, esp. since it's not info the user needs all the time. Again, commercial web storefronts are not a good comparison: There you can't do anything except casual browsing without being logged on, so an indication whether you are or not is useful. On the main management console of my private server running locally, I'd rather information that wasn't  always pertinent wouldn't be always displayed.

Edited by GreenDolphin
Typos & clarifications
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 11/21/2021 at 2:15 PM, limetech said:

Of course, we are not disabling our support email address.  I completely acknowledge the desire to have an "air gapped" server, but vast majority of servers use at least some internet resources.  Nothing we are doing with UPC or future online services will preclude running your server totally disconnected from any internet access.

I hate, but respect, "MyServers" as an attempt to protect "folks" from opening their server (port 80 style) to the world. Perhaps, Limetech is trying to make some retribution for not even requiring a password for root access. It's lame, but Microsoft did worse (I know, not a great defense).

Did I mention I hate "MyServers" in place of basically forcing proper security (like a password)?

In the end, we make our choices. Unraid *CAN* be secure and as anonymous as... ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 9:10 AM, SpencerJ said:

I will check in- I believe there are plans to make an FAQ style entry in the wiki to answer many of these questions. 

Quick update here: Thank you all for your patience. An FAQ will accompany the 6.10 stable release.

Also, after taking in feedback from a variety of users, we have decided to make Signing-In to the UPC optional going forward.

You will be able to do everything you can now without signing-in but, signing-in will greatly streamline certain processes such as license management.

More details to come...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1