Parity drive selection, is a 4TB always a 4TB?

My parity drive seems like it is kind of slow, so I'm planning to upgrade it to a faster drive. But I have a number of data disks that are of a similar size.

But I'm concerned I'll buy a drive that is 3.99TB and have a data disk that is 4.01TB so that it won't work. Is that something I have to worry about? I should note that my data disks are similar to the parity drive that I find is to slow so just swapping them isn't an option.

Edited by scorcho99
Whoops! Meant parity drive not cache
  • scorcho99 changed the title to Parity drive selection, is a 4TB always a 4TB?

Yes, all 4TB drives are the exactly same size.  (You can substitute 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, etc for "4TB" in that statement!)

For a bit confirmation, go to your server and log in on the GUI.  On the main tab spin-up all of the disks.   Now click on the "Parity" disk on the 'Device' column.  In the section on 'Parity Settings' look at the 'Partition Size:' parameter.  Now go through all of your disks by clicking on the Right-Arrow icon at the top right.  Notice that all of the drives that are the 'same size' have exactly the same number of KB in them. 

IF you should find one disk that does not, something (or Someone) has created a second partition on that Disk.  This can be fixed! 

Hope this helps...

Edited by Frank1940