Docker, Appdata, VM

a12vman

I am putting this into General as I can't find a better place for it.

SI-1 has posted a how-to guide on tuning Unraid that is very useful.

I would like to focus on how to get the best performance from disk as it relates to Dockers and VM's.

I currently have my Cache, Appdata, and VM's on a single Crucial 240gb SSD.  I have appdata of 40GB and VM's of ~60GB.

I would have 1 or 2 VM's running at any given time.

Docker.img resides on a 120GB SSD(unassigned device).

I have ~ 20TB used inside of a 30TB Array(single parity).

Sonarr & Radar Downloads first land in a 4TB Mechanical Drive(unassigned device).

Once assembled they are moved to cache and eventually the mover process will commit them to the array.

I have 2 Xeon x5675's with 64GB Ram.

I was thinking of moving AppData off of Cache to an NVME SSD(as unassigned device) in hopes to gain some performance in Plex.

What are best practices of AppData, VM's, and Docker.img locations?  Will I see performance improvements if I get these off of Cache and onto separate physical devices?  

Edited by a12vman
24 minutes ago, a12vman said:

What are best practices of AppData, VM's, and Docker.img locations?  Will I see performance improvements if I get these off of Cache and onto separate physical devices?  

All else being equal, you'll only see an increase in speed if there are concurrent accesses (ie: stuff reading / writing to appdata while the VM is doing its thing with the vDisk.  Since that's always going to happen, there will be an increase in speed.  Whether or not it's noticeable depends upon just how much access is going on.

Also, 6.9.2+ you're better off instead of using UD to mount permanently attached devices to instead create a separate cache pool