Fix Common Problems - Confusing warning & suggested fix message for appdata share

DMills

I recently added a cache drive to my unraid server, and changed my appdata share to be cache-only, as instructred by Fix Common Problems. Now however, it has come up with a new warning:

Share appdata set to cache-only, but files / folders exist on the array

OK, but I have no idea what files / folders it is talking about. The suggested fix is no real help either:

You should change the shares settings appropriately

Change them to what? It already mentioned it should be set to cache-only.

or use the dolphin / krusader docker applications to move the offending files accordingly

What offending files?

Before I remove the cache drive and snap it in half, does anyone know what should be done here? TIA

D

There is no real answer to any of the questions, because it's entirely up to you.  Do you want the share to use the cache?  Set use Cache to be Yes.

Do you want the share to not use the array?  Set use cache to be Prefer

Do you want the share to not use the cache at all, and move the files to the array?  Set it to Yes, run mover then set it to No

Or move the files manually via the Krusader App

To see what files exist where, go to Shares, Hit Calculate on that share (you'll see what disks the files are on), then explore the applicable disk via Main and the icon at the far right.

16 hours ago, DMills said:

set to cache-only

In general, user share settings only affects new files written to the share, changing that to cache-only will not move those files to cache. In fact, mover ignores cache-only and cache-no shares.

Prefer cache shares will get moved to cache, except nothing can move open files, so you will probably have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings to allow those to be moved.