Export user share

It's possible to manually export /mnt/user with extra samba options, but a way to do this within the web ui like you can for disk shares would be quite handy.

Moving files from one share to another (unless SSH'd into the server) in most cases results in copying the file and deleting the original, but if everything were a single samba share, this could be avoided since the client would just see everything as one and realize it can just move the file.

Edited by DanTheMan827
1 minute ago, DanTheMan827 said:

Moving files from one share to another in most cases results in copying the file and deleting the original,

You can move from share to share by turning on disk shares, and doing the move on that specific disk. User shares are just root folders on the disks.

Just be sure you don't copy or move between user and disk shares, at least without understanding the possible implication that you could lose data.

@Squid Yes, that's what I'm referring to, except with /mnt/user instead of just /mnt.

Curiously, there's no option to easily do this within the web ui like you can with a disk share.

@JonathanM I'm aware that you can move files on disk shares, but a global share (root share if you will) would remove the risk of data loss since you'd be doing everything inside of /mnt/user/

The video actually describes a good use case for such a share.

Edited by DanTheMan827
9 minutes ago, DanTheMan827 said:

except with /mnt/user instead of just /mnt.

You can change the folder being shared by just adjusting the conf file

There's a reason why you don't want to export /mnt.  It's fraught with danger if you mix moving between user shares and disk shares, and I'm surprised the video shows to do that.