Monterey with Macinabox GPU passthrough/Rx560 x299 Black screen

subye

Hi, everyone.

I have used search bar profusely and do not see anyone mention this so I intend to start this thread and clear few possible causes for new MAC os.

Previously, I had a good run with Catalina and it had no problem with GPU passthrough while I installed X299 with Rx560 graphic card. 

But after I tries to upragde my OS to Monterey, no matter what SMBIOS I uses, it alwasy shows black screen after the OS selection pannel and before the Apple Logos shows up. I tried to upradde kext ,used boot-arg, selected vbios but to no avail. Since my system could boot normally if the OS is Catalina, I believe the probelms lies in the new OS. The similar situation that was mentioned by everyone else does not eactly fouces on issue with the OS system but hardware probelms or older version MacOS that is proved to be working if every setting is correct. 

So I am curious if there is anyone that could use Monterey and passed through similar gpu to the OS

Edited by subye

If I remember well @doesntaffect can have the same issue (not solved yet), but with big sur, he also tried a 560.

What brand are your gpus? What vendor/product ids?

Maybe worth a try in this case (because I don't recommend this in general) to download a different vbios from techpowerup and use it (different brand, same type gpu).

For example, the gigabyte (for 2 gb memory) one can be a good starting point:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192987/gigabyte-rx560-2048-170423

Or the sapphire (for 4 gb memory) one:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192320/sapphire-rx560-4096-170419

Some bios of some vendors can have issues, and luckily with a virtual machine we don't have to flash the bios into the gpu.

Did you try to wait some minutes and see if you can reach the login screen?Like 10 minutes

Edited by ghost82

Tried several other bios rom files. The card also boots with a Gigabyte rom, however at the end boot process gets stuck shortly after virtual CPU has successfully been initialized (according to open core debug logs). 

can use the same card with stock dumped  bios rom in a Win11 VM.

As a result, cannot recommend this card for a virtual hackintosh. Will go for a RX570 ITX from Sapphire.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:40 PM, doesntaffect said:

Tried several other bios rom files. The card also boots with a Gigabyte rom, however at the end boot process gets stuck shortly after virtual CPU has successfully been initialized (according to open core debug logs). 

can use the same card with stock dumped  bios rom in a Win11 VM.

As a result, cannot recommend this card for a virtual hackintosh. Will go for a RX570 ITX from Sapphire.

Thanks for providing results from testing. I have serveral attempts as well and all failed similarly. I guess RX560 will not work with New OS. The manufature of my card is Yeston.

A low profile card which only occupy one PCI-slot space. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Any luck on this? I chose the same MSI card as the poster above as it is listed as supported by Apple directly in an article that was last updated yesterday!  I am having no luck getting the display to light up upon moving up to Monterey, worked fine in Big Sur. 

It's detected as a Metal supported GPU if I go into the VM via TeamViewer. Also works to accelerate iOS simulators just fine, proving it is actually using the GPU to accelerate. Makes no sense, just no display.  Same as the other folks, it will show the BIOS and Apple logo until about halfway and then shut off.  Has to be a bug on Apple's side.  I've seen others complaining about external displays on Monterey on native Apple machines.

I have an M1 Max on Monterey that works fine with the same display though.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239

Screenshot 2022-02-01 011200.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-01 011206.jpg

5 hours ago, gingerdude said:

It's detected as a Metal supported GPU if I go into the VM via TeamViewer.

If you have access to the vm a copy of your ioreg could help, also you could share your opencore image or efi folder.

What version of mac os you are running?

And what is that "Display" gpu listed under "Video card"?

Can you share your xml?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting time to mess with this again.

The Display listed was the QEMU display adapter, not the actual monitor itself.

Turns out I just needed to update OpenCore and drop a newer version of the files into the Bootloader.  It has restored my ability to use external monitors.

Thanks for chiming in though! 😀