[Support] binhex - Readarr

binhex

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-readarr in the binhex repo.

Application: Readarr - https://github.com/Readarr/Readarr

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-readarr/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-readarr

Documentation: https://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer 😁

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

• Thanks 1

Wow! This is exciting. I've been interested in this for months. How does this compare to Calibre? And does it support sending books to Kindle over email? I wonder if this app is overkill for someone who reads maybe 1-3 books a year and doesn't follow any authors in particular. I just like the idea of sticking to the *arr ecosystem.

Thanks for this! Excited to give it a try regardless.

• Like 1

Also very excited to see this - I currently have no use for this for eBooks - only for audiobooks, of which I have a large collection in a Plex library. Now Plex is pretty rubbish for audiobooks , but in the absence of anything specific to audiobooks and after various tweaks, it is workable. Would be great to have a 'connections' option for Plex in the pipeline if possible - similar to that on the other *arrs? Hopefully fairly simple to add?

Thanks

Does the application still have the issue requiring fresh databases often?  Also I had not heard about the requiring separate instances for eBook vs audiobook yet, thats unfortunate.

Thanks for your template work on this @binhex!

@awediohead I have a large collection of audiobooks too, but haven't really taken the plunge of shoving it into plex, got any guides or advice on how to tackle that?  Ive seen a couple of guides around before last time I look into in, curious what you tried.

3 hours ago, TheDon said:

Does the application still have the issue requiring fresh databases often?

unknown at this time, perhaps its now fixed we shall see in the next update i guess, keep in mind this is still definitely BETA software here, but it does work fundamentally, at least for me, it can download E-Books and it can rename correctly, so im quite pleased with the results so far.

3 hours ago, TheDon said:

Also I had not heard about the requiring separate instances for eBook vs audiobook yet, thats unfortunate.

i assume you are referencing the text in CA for the app right?, as in:-

Note that only one type of a given book is supported. If you want both an audiobook and ebook of a given book you will need multiple instances.

yeah that was taken straight from the readarr readme.md so i guess that is the case right now, i would imagine they will fix this at some point so you only need a single instance again.

16 hours ago, TheDon said:

@awediohead I have a large collection of audiobooks too, but haven't really taken the plunge of shoving it into plex, got any guides or advice on how to tackle that?  Ive seen a couple of guides around before last time I look into in, curious what you tried.

The only positive thing I can say about my Plex audiobook library is that it sorta works . . .  kinda 8) I've stuck with it because via the iOS Prologue app the user experience for my immediate family is pretty solid and we're mostly re-playing  books we've had for years. i.e. we'd notice pretty quickly if the player app was dropping chapters or losing place, which did happen with Plex <---> other apps I tried.

When I first set it up, I remember I cherry picked some bits from https://github.com/seanap/Plex-Audiobook-Guide

but it's changed a lot since and I didn't bother with a lot of the automation that guide describes because I use OSX on hackintosh. The plugin mentioned in the current version is also unfamiliar to me as I used Audiobooks.bundle - which the newer plugin refers to as being possible to 'upgrade' from. But if it ain't broke . . . .  

https://github.com/djdembeck/Audnexus.bundle

Lastly on iOS the Prologue app seems to be pretty good at dealing with the fact that Plex "thinks" it's serving music files and ignoring anything not audiobook specific. A lot of Android audiobook player apps (going by reviews) only seem to work well if accessing a local audiobook specific folder on the phone, rather than Plex. I don't have an Android phone to test with, but would like to be able to recommend a solid, reliable app to older family members with Android phones who aren't very tech-savvy, if anyone can recommend one?

HTH

• 1 month later...

Hello!! 

Love to see this!! I currently have all my audiobooks in Plex, but love the idea of having them in another arr system.

I started adding my audiobooks to them, I have 340 GB of audiobooks, and I seem to be having difficulty with it seeing all of them.

For example, I set it to see my whole folder of audiobooks, and just import it:

However, as an example Robert Jordan.  It's not importing all of the Wheel of time books.  It is skipping half of them pretty much.  So I went to manually import them, and it lets me click to manually import them, but nothing happens.  

It says import successful, but nothing has changed. 

Readarr log .txt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I ran QDirStat and realized that the cache.db for my readarr was just over 3 Gb!  This is by far the largest file amongst my other dockers (which includes other "arr" containers).

I haven't changed much from default in setting it up.  I do have over 3000 ebooks.  Is this a function of that number?  is there any way I can shrink/control the size of that cache?

Thanks for your time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got this error, clean install:

You are using docker; download client qBittorrent places downloads in /data/torrents but this directory does not appear to exist inside the container. Review your remote path mappings and container volume settings.

I am using the same setup for sonarr and radarr and I dont have this problem there. How to fix it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 3:03 AM, Rocka374 said:

I got this error, clean install:

You are using docker; download client qBittorrent places downloads in /data/torrents but this directory does not appear to exist inside the container. Review your remote path mappings and container volume settings.

I am using the same setup for sonarr and radarr and I dont have this problem there. How to fix it?

I get a similar warning using nzbget.  I have mappings to container directories /data ; /media ; and /config. 

/media and /config are self explanatory but I'm not sure what goes in /data   I put it inside /appdata but maybe it needs to map to my /nzbget download directory??

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2022 at 1:53 PM, aterfax said:

General warning from me, I seem to be getting horrible memory leaks with Readarr. After a few hours it consumes all RAM / CPU and grinds my Gen 8 microserver to a halt.

Same, I had to stop using it entirely. Dual 2690v4's and over 100GB ram with almost zero issues in years but this crushed it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 3:29 AM, srfsean said:

Same, I had to stop using it entirely. Dual 2690v4's and over 100GB ram with almost zero issues in years but this crushed it.

interesting!, i run this myself, no such issue, ram usage currently sitting at 870MB uptime 7 days.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:46 PM, dtempleton said:

I get a similar warning using nzbget.  I have mappings to container directories /data ; /media ; and /config. 

/media and /config are self explanatory but I'm not sure what goes in /data   I put it inside /appdata but maybe it needs to map to my /nzbget download directory??

see Q4:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/unraid.md

• 3 months later...

I just tried to add a book to Readarr and I'm getting an exception when it tries to access bookinfo.club with the error:

2023-01-09 09:39:43,879 DEBG 'readarr' stdout output:
[Fatal] ReadarrErrorPipeline: Request Failed. POST /api/v1/book 

[v0.1.1.1504] System.NotImplementedException: Unexpected response from https://api.bookinfo.club/v1/work/96610946
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.PollBook(String foreignBookId) in D:\a\1\s\src\NzbDrone.Core\MetadataSource\BookInfo\BookInfoProxy.cs:line 655
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.GetBookInfo(String foreignBookId) in D:\a\1\s\src\NzbDrone.Core\MetadataSource\BookInfo\BookInfoProxy.cs:line 123
   at NzbDrone.Core.Books.AddBookService.AddSkyhookData(Book newBook) in D:\a\1\s\src\NzbDrone.Core\Books\Services\AddBookService.cs:line 111
   at NzbDrone.Core.Books.AddBookService.AddBook(Book book, Boolean doRefresh) in D:\a\1\s\src\NzbDrone.Core\Books\Services\AddBookService.cs:line 47
   at Readarr.Api.V1.Books.BookController.AddBook(BookResource bookResource) in D:\a\1\s\src\Readarr.Api.V1\Books\BookController.cs:line 158
   at lambda_method119(Closure , Object , Object[] )
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ActionMethodExecutor.SyncObjectResultExecutor.Execute(IActionResultTypeMapper mapper, ObjectMethodExecutor executor, Object controller, Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodAsync()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeNextActionFilterAsync()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Rethrow(ActionExecutedContextSealed context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeInnerFilterAsync()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeFilterPipelineAsync>g__Awaited|20_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeAsync>g__Awaited|17_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task task, IDisposable scope)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeAsync>g__Awaited|17_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task task, IDisposable scope)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.EndpointMiddleware.<Invoke>g__AwaitRequestTask|6_0(Endpoint endpoint, Task requestTask, ILogger logger)
   at Readarr.Http.Middleware.BufferingMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\src\Readarr.Http\Middleware\BufferingMiddleware.cs:line 27
   at Readarr.Http.Middleware.IfModifiedMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\src\Readarr.Http\Middleware\IfModifiedMiddleware.cs:line 40
   at Readarr.Http.Middleware.CacheHeaderMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\src\Readarr.Http\Middleware\CacheHeaderMiddleware.cs:line 32
   at Readarr.Http.Middleware.UrlBaseMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\src\Readarr.Http\Middleware\UrlBaseMiddleware.cs:line 26
   at Readarr.Http.Middleware.VersionMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\src\Readarr.Http\Middleware\VersionMiddleware.cs:line 27
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.ResponseCompression.ResponseCompressionMiddleware.InvokeCore(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authorization.Policy.AuthorizationMiddlewareResultHandler.HandleAsync(RequestDelegate next, HttpContext context, AuthorizationPolicy policy, PolicyAuthorizationResult authorizeResult)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authorization.AuthorizationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.AuthenticationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddleware.<Invoke>g__Awaited|6_0(ExceptionHandlerMiddleware middleware, HttpContext context, Task task)

Google searches seem to indicate it's an SSL error that maybe the CA certs are not up to date.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, mmwilson0 said:

Hello,

I'm having trouble searching for any title or author in Readarr. No matter what i search for, i get "Couldn't find any results for...". Any thoughts on why this may be?

image.png

Were you able to get this fixed?  I'm having the same issue.  I have even deleted the container and did a clean pull, still same issue.  Logs attached.

2023-11-07 09:40:49.1|Warn|BookInfoProxy|Unexpected error getting author info

[v0.3.10.2287] NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoException: Failed to get works for 956831
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.PollAuthorUncached(String foreignAuthorId) in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 652
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<PollAuthor>b__0() in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 588
   at LazyCache.AppCacheExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7_0`1.<GetOrAdd>b__0(ICacheEntry _)
   at LazyCache.CachingService.<>c__DisplayClass22_1`1.<GetOrAdd>b__1()
   at System.Lazy`1.ViaFactory(LazyThreadSafetyMode mode)
   at System.Lazy`1.ExecutionAndPublication(LazyHelper executionAndPublication, Boolean useDefaultConstructor)
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at LazyCache.CachingService.GetValueFromLazy[T](Object item, Boolean& valueHasChangedType)
   at LazyCache.CachingService.GetOrAdd[T](String key, Func`2 addItemFactory, MemoryCacheEntryOptions policy)
   at LazyCache.AppCacheExtensions.GetOrAdd[T](IAppCache cache, String key, Func`1 addItemFactory, MemoryCacheEntryOptions policy)
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.PollAuthor(String foreignAuthorId) in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 587
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.GetAuthorInfo(String foreignAuthorId, Boolean useCache) in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 99

v

On 11/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, JC2020 said:

Were you able to get this fixed?  I'm having the same issue.  I have even deleted the container and did a clean pull, still same issue.  Logs attached.

2023-11-07 09:40:49.1|Warn|BookInfoProxy|Unexpected error getting author info

[v0.3.10.2287] NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoException: Failed to get works for 956831
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.PollAuthorUncached(String foreignAuthorId) in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 652
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<PollAuthor>b__0() in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 588
   at LazyCache.AppCacheExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7_0`1.<GetOrAdd>b__0(ICacheEntry _)
   at LazyCache.CachingService.<>c__DisplayClass22_1`1.<GetOrAdd>b__1()
   at System.Lazy`1.ViaFactory(LazyThreadSafetyMode mode)
   at System.Lazy`1.ExecutionAndPublication(LazyHelper executionAndPublication, Boolean useDefaultConstructor)
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at LazyCache.CachingService.GetValueFromLazy[T](Object item, Boolean& valueHasChangedType)
   at LazyCache.CachingService.GetOrAdd[T](String key, Func`2 addItemFactory, MemoryCacheEntryOptions policy)
   at LazyCache.AppCacheExtensions.GetOrAdd[T](IAppCache cache, String key, Func`1 addItemFactory, MemoryCacheEntryOptions policy)
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.PollAuthor(String foreignAuthorId) in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 587
   at NzbDrone.Core.MetadataSource.BookInfo.BookInfoProxy.GetAuthorInfo(String foreignAuthorId, Boolean useCache) in ./Readarr.Core/MetadataSource/BookInfo/BookInfoProxy.cs:line 99

v

Currently the Readarr metadata server is down. This will prevent you from doing searches or adding books and authors. There is no timeline for getting it back up, but the devs are working on it. The metadata server is not open source, and there is nothing you can do to help get it back up. 

You can add SOME authors by finding the author ID number on goodreads (it's part of the URL) and adding it to readarr by using author:authorid in the search. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...