[SOLVED] Reach unraid as vpn client

MacroX

Hello,

I would like to reach my unraid machine when i'm in travel.

The main problem is my Internet service provider don't authorized me to put a NAT system or something like that.

So I thought to use my unraid as an openvpn Client.

I created an openvpn server in a VPS (Using docker : https://hub.docker.com/r/kylemanna/openvpn/ ).

I tried to connect on my personal computer using an openvpn client, I got a private IP : 192.168.255.X/24

I used the docker "dperson/openvpn-client" on unraid and I have this message :

Sun Nov 28 16:16:01 2021 /sbin/ip addr add dev tun0 local 192.168.255.14 peer 192.168.255.13

My problem is the following :

-> On my personal computer I tried to reach the admin interface : but Ko

-> Ping 192.168.255.14 (IP client of unraid) : Ok

Do you have any clue for me please?

Solution Used Zerotiers

Edited by MacroX

As I said you can not use openvpn becuse you can not port forward due to carrier grade NAT. And you're using openvpn wrong anyway. To reach your unraid machine with openvpn, you need a openvpn server on the unraid machine and a client on the machine you're connecting from. But as I said just forget about openvpn, you can not use it if you can not port forward on your router. use zerotier instead. 

You can use the openvpn server on your VPS as a router in a way so that clients can connect to each other but that is a advanced feature I think. If you want to try this google openvpn client-to-client. But I would just use zerotier instead and connect directly to your unraid machine instead of routing everything through a VPS, seems like too much trouble if you ask me.

Hello I'm back, with bad news... even if with the docker "zerotiers" I cannot reach my machine 

On Unraid: I put the Host to Bridge for the network in order to get the IP and to be online on ZeroTier.

On my second device:

I cannot ping my Unraid

I cannot do SSH/Reach the Web Interface

Edited by MacroX

Hello :) 

I’m back thanks for your time… I had a little problem with my router and this is why I cannot reached my unraid.

Now I tried with two solutions :

- Zerotiers : Ok

- VPS with SSH and portforwarding : Ok 

So the problem is solved. Again, thanks for your time. 

• MacroX changed the title to [SOLVED] Reach unraid as vpn client