(SOLVED) Needing some beginner help please

I have only just started using NAS systems. I was using a QNAP NAS prior to now, but I wanted some more flexibility when it comes to the amount of drivers etc. I currently have 3 Drives installed in my Chasis. 1 is a 10 TB HDD and another is a 8 TB HDD, the 3rd is a 280 GB SSD. I would like to have the SSD for a cache drive and the 10 TB as the Parity drive, while using the 8 TB HDD as the storage drive things are copied to and read from. 

The problem I am having is being able to configure the setup correctly. It allows me to set the 10 TB as the parity, but it keeps making me select the SSD as disk 1. I would like the SSD as a chache and as I understand it, I cannot have that assigned to a drive slot if I want to do that. If I leave it unassigned and put the 8 TB in disk 1 spot, it tells me wrong disk, but not much more information. I am having some difficulty formatting too, I can't seem to locate it and I suspect it has to do with the drive issue. I cannot start the array either.

I am completely new to UNRAID and currently own a Basic liscence. I learn fast when given the right help, hopefully this can get resolved quickly. I will post the logs. Thank you.

tower-diagnostics-20211130-0200.zip

Edited by DancingShinryu
Solved
8 minutes ago, Squid said:

Have you ever had the SSD set as disk #1?

vars:

[disk1] => Array
        (
            [idx] => 1
            [name] => disk1
            [device] => sdb
            [id] => ST8000NE001-2M7101_WSD278C2
            [size] => 7814026532
            [status] => DISK_WRONG
            [format] => unknown
            [rotational] => 1
            [spundown] => 0
            [temp] => 36
            [numReads] => 46
            [numWrites] => 0
            [numErrors] => 0
            [type] => Data
            [color] => red-on
            [spindownDelay] => -1
            [spinupGroup] => 
            [deviceSb] => 
            [idSb] => Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_120GB_S1D5NSAF698716R
            [sizeSb] => 117219800
            [luksState] => 0
            [comment] => 
            [exportable] => no
            [fsType] => xfs
            [fsStatus] => -
            [fsColor] => grey-off
            [fsSize] => 0
            [fsFree] => 0
            [fsUsed] => 0
            [warning] => 
            [critical] => 
        )

16 minutes ago, DancingShinryu said:

Yes, yesterday before I decided to happily rip appart my old NAS for parts :) I figured I should just be able to reassign the drive accordingly.

As mentioned, use Tools->New Config which will put the array back into a state where you can reassign drives as you want them.   When you subsequently start the array the assignments get committed,  if a disk has previously been used by Unraid then it’s contents are left intact after using the New Config tool.

1 minute ago, DancingShinryu said:

I don't know why, but it literally will not let me set it how I would like. I have tried using New Config, no change.

2021-11-30.png

According to that screenshot you have you have not used the New Config tool :( Did you remember to tick the confirmation checkbox and then hit Apply.  Simply pressing Done does nothing as that is the Unraid GUI standard for exiting the current dialog.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

According to that screenshot you have you have not used the New Config tool :( Did you remember to tick the confirmation checkbox and then hit Apply.  Simply pressing Done does nothing as that is the Unraid GUI standard for exiting the current dialog.

Yes I did. I selected the right tick option to confirm I wanted to do this. Then selected apply, then done. But I didn't see nothing occur. I would think there would be some visability acknowledging it was happenng.

1 minute ago, DancingShinryu said:

However, I still have no Cache Disk section to be able to assign the SSD.

You need to go to the Pools section and add a new pool.   The name of a pool can be anything you like - you set at the User Share Level what pool is associated (if any) for that share and whether a pool should be used for caching purposes on that share.

11 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You need to go to the Pools section and add a new pool.   The name of a pool can be anything you like - you set at the User Share Level what pool is associated (if any) for that share and whether a pool should be used for caching purposes on that share.

Everything is all set the way I want it. It is now doing the parity synch/ data rebuild. Thank you for all your help.

• Like 1
  • DancingShinryu changed the title to (SOLVED) Needing some beginner help please