Time to ditch Unraid due to network issues?

phoebus

I switched to Unraid earlier this year and loved how easy it was to set up dockers, VMs and services and paid up before the end of my trial period.

However the past month I've had network disconnection issues that I can't seem to solve, and looking at similar posts on the forum I'm not alone. I mainly use Unraid to host shared network folders, Plex and related services and a Windows 10 VM for Slack and Teams. I can watch about 20 mins of Plex then will get network dying (no Plex, no access to any Dockers) till I go up and wake up the VM, then I'll get a few in a row. It seems worse in evenings and mainly when playing Plex locally, I played remotely Saturday morning no problems.

PLex has never had a problem running on the Windows VM, only Smart TV and other devices.

I'm at my wit's end and while I don't want to leave I'm starting to look at Plan B for a Plex server.

I've tried:

* installing an Intel NIC in addition to my motherboard's Broadcom one

* updated to the latest Unraid Beta, rc-2

* changed my network settings to have bonded, single connections, checked and replaced the cables, checked ports on my hubs

* checked other network related settings in Unraid

* uninstalled network monitoring tools in case they were interfering

* reset Plex app on my TV in case it was causing problems

* checked the PCIe connections and re-set as I am getting PCIe messages

* disabled IPv6, set all network settings to automatic where possible, checked my router's settings and upgraded firmware and set the static IP

* checked my router logs to ensure I'm not being DDoS/hacked etc and changed myServers port just in case

* used Tweak tools to check and tweak network settings

* disabled un-needed Dockers

I'm not sure what it is, it may be a VM issue if activating it seems to restore it but not sure what to change. However I have made no VM changes in the past few weeks.

Any help appreciated as sticking with Unraid will be easiest for me but feel I'm running out of options.

unraid-diagnostics-20211130-1826.zip

Edited by phoebus
On 11/30/2021 at 1:54 PM, phoebus said:

till I go up and wake up the VM

What does that mean exactly?  Is the VM sleeping / stopped?

vfio-pci.ids=8086:a3f0 

Likely not related to you issues, but isolating via syslinux is deprecated.  The prefered way is via Tools - System Devices.

Thanks Squid. Yes, so the VM had been in sleep display mode. I changed its network bridge mode from Br0 to virBr0 and had a few days without problems. So I then shut the VM down but had problems again last night at around 22:40. Oddly the log doesn't show any problems (diagnostics attached).

I've kept all but essential dockers but Home Assistant is reporting a lot of network problems so I've disabled that and will wait and see.

vfio-pci.ids=8086:a3f0

Likely not related to you issues, but isolating via syslinux is deprecated.  The prefered way is via Tools - System Devices.

Apologies but not sure what this means. In System Devices that is an audio adaptor and it has a green light next to it (the only item to do so) but can't find what that means.

Have I isolated it in my VM then as looking in Advanced View for my VM I can't see it.

I can't recall isolating via syslinux and don't even know how to do so! May have been when I first installed Unraid and was playing around.

unraid-diagnostics-20211203-2345.zip