HELP! VM problems! virNetSocketReadWire: 1826 End of file while reading data: Input/output error (& other EOF errors)

I've been having a lot of issue with what seems should be easy watching videos and reading articles.

I want to pass-thru an add-on USB card to a Windows 10 VM, but there seems to be some root issues with VMs in general on my server.

It all started, as far as I know, when I moved all my drives over to new hardware. When I did so, my VM was gone. First, I just created a new one and pointed it to the old vdisk.img. The VM worked fine. But, I got errors when trying to pass-thru the USB controller. The VM wouldn't boot.

I created a new VM just to test and it also wouldn't start with the card passed to it. Then I noticed all these errors in the libvirt log. They persist whether the card is passed thru or not. You can see them in the diag file, but the troublesome ones are the two End of file errors that keep showing up:

virNetSocketReadWire: 1826 End of file while reading data: Input/output error
qemuMonitorIO:578 : internal error: End of file from qemu monitor

I'm not sure what they mean and googling hasn't helped. I found one guy saying he fixed it after discovering he had two libvirt.img files. I don't have that problem. So, I'm kinda lost and would really like some insight from some of you unRAID gurus. I'm a newb! 😄 

I created an entirely new Windows 10 VM and it works, but I still can't pass the USB controller to it.

I've also tried the USB Manager plugin. It also fails to push the card through to the VM.

Any help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

Matt

ap-archives-diagnostics-20211130-1104.zip

I was looking at it right now..but I can't see those errors replicating every time:

In your libvirt log I can see only:

2021-11-30 12:57:10.089+0000: 11183: error : virNetSocketReadWire:1826 : End of file while reading data: Input/output error
2021-11-30 12:58:11.992+0000: 11183: error : virNetSocketReadWire:1826 : End of file while reading data: Input/output error
2021-11-30 12:58:13.329+0000: 11183: error : virNetSocketReadWire:1826 : End of file while reading data: Input/output error

Please, note the time; moreover when that happened you had a hook script interacting with the vm.

After that you started the vm 3 times more without that errors.

Not that the virNetSocketReadWire "error" could not be a "real error", it can happen if the client disconnects without closing the connection properly.

You are not describing in details what happens, you write:

On 12/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, Mattaton said:

I want to pass-thru an add-on USB card to a Windows 10 VM

Which one? I think the asmedia one?

In your diagnostics I can't see anything attached to vfio, nor any trace of the usb controller passed through in the xml.

First, I just created a new one and pointed it to the old vdisk.img. The VM worked fine. But, I got errors when trying to pass-thru the USB controller. The VM wouldn't boot.

This proves that the real issue is passing through the usb controller.

I would also go for q35 machine type instead of i440fx.

But, I got errors when trying to pass-thru the USB controller. The VM wouldn't boot.

Which errors???No help can be given without proper descriptions of what happens.

Edited by ghost82
15 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Make a new q35 vm, point it to existing vdisk, try to start it and see if the vm starts.

If it starts add to vfio (preferred) the usb controller and pass it through, reboot unraid and check if the vm starts; if it doesn't start attach new diagnostics (with the usb passthrough).

Sorry I didn't give much info on the USB controller I was attempting to passthrough. Yes, it is the Asmedia one. I had another thread about that, but then I figured I better concentrate on the errors I thought were causing the problem first.

Still no luck on getting the VM to start after adding the USB controller. 😞 

IOMMU Group 17 has the Asmedia controller. See the images attached for my list of IOMMU groups before and after adding it to VFIO.

Thanks!!!

IOMMU1-12.jpg

IOMMU13-21.jpg

IOMMU Group 17.jpg

ap-archives-diagnostics-20211206-0905.zip

5 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

I'm sorry, I'm still rather novice. Where do I add that? Under the SYSLINUX CONFIG are for the flash?

In unraid gui:

Main - Boot Device - Flash - Syslinux Configuration

You will find several labels, if you boot unraid without GUI, you need to edit "unRAID OS", so to have the line with append with:

append initrd=/bzroot pci=noaer

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Main - Boot Device - Flash - Syslinux Configuration

You will find several labels, if you boot unraid without GUI, you need to edit "unRAID OS", so to have the line with append with:

append initrd=/bzroot pci=noaer

Thank you so much for your patience in showing that to me.

And THAT WORKED! I have no idea (yet) what the pci=noaer did, but it passed the controller perfectly.

Thanks so much!!!!

PS: I still see new virNetSocketReadWire errors, but if everything works, I'm just gonna ignore them. 🙂 

Asmedia 2142 is not the "perfect controller" to be passed through; pci=noaer disables advance error reporting, aer in some way prevents the controller to be passed through...the issue can be related to aspm, but I'm not sure, and if you search in google you will find a lot of people having the same issue with asmedia controllers.

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Asmedia 2142 is not the "perfect controller" to be passed through; pci=noaer disables advance error reporting, aer in some way prevents the controller to be passed through...the issue can be related to aspm, but I'm not sure, and if you search in google you will find a lot of people having the same issue with asmedia controllers.

Dang. I was hoping to get one that worked well. I was trying to find one on Amazon that SpaceInvader One was using, but I couldn't fins the exact model he was using. It's also difficult to tell in the description and comments which controller is on the card. If it gives me any trouble I will try to find a better one. I need one that is USB 3.1 with type C, so I couldn't just choose any card I found.

I don't have tons of usb controllers to test, inreal...well...I have 3 :D

But if you need to purchase a quite good one with usb c I would go with this (it's 3.2 instead of 3.1, not sure if it's an issue for you):

https://www.amazon.it/Inateck-RedComets-estensione-Profile-compatibile/dp/B098DFRQLT

@doesntaffect is using it on a mac os vm, but I think he has also a windows vm.

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, ghost82 said:

I don't have tons of usb controllers to test, inreal...well...I have 3 :D

But if you need to purchase a quite good one with usb c I would go with this:

https://www.amazon.it/Inateck-RedComets-estensione-Profile-compatibile/dp/B098DFRQLT

@doesntaffect is using it on a mac os vm, but I think he has also a windows vm.

Interesting. I'm using an Inateck Red Comets U25 (has three type A and two type C ports). I guess they used a different controller on the U26.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096ZK6C37

I don't know which chipset is in use unfortunately, your best bet would be asking, maybe in a different section of the forum?, for a 100% compatible usb card if you will need to change it. Most of users use windows vm with usb controllers passed through. Unfortunately in the technical data we have the color, yes it's red!, but we don't have the chipset, and also a research by image on google doesn't help...

Personally I have an inateck KT4006 with no usb c with FL1100 chipset which works good.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

I don't know which chipset is in use unfortunately, your best bet would be asking, maybe in a different section of the forum?, for a 100% compatible usb card if you will need to change it. Most of users use windows vm with usb controllers passed through. Unfortunately in the technical data we have the color, yes it's red!, but we don't have the chipset, and also a research by image on google doesn't help...

Personally I have an inateck KT4006 with no usb c with FL1100 chipset which works good.

Yes, I believe that's the one SpaceInvader One used, but I think I saw that the Asmedia would work, but the chipset had a different number. Like 1142 instead of 2142. Something like that. I took a chance that I was just getting the latest version of the same controller and it'd work just as well. Not quite true. 🙂 

Thanks again for all your help. VERY much appreciated!!!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, doesntaffect said:

I you need details from the U26 controller, please ping me or mention me here, I can look into the config. 

Thanks, @doesntaffect! I'm going to see how the U25 behaves before I replace it. But yeah, if you can send me the details on the U26, that'd be great! I'm curious which chipset it uses versus the U25. I wouldn't think they'd completely swap chipsets, but maybe so!

30 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

eheh, seriously it should not cause any serious issue, check for availability of bios updates, maybe one day it will be solved!

There is a BIOS update from July. Current BIOS is from April. I'll try updating that some time.

When I do, should I just remove the "pci=noaer", reboot, and then try to start the VM?

1 minute ago, ghost82 said:

yes and see if something changed..if not, just add it again and reboot.

In general it's always (at least it should be) better to have the latest bios version.

Agreed. It's just tough to perform such upgrades when the server is so often in use. All these employees start complaining really fast when a server is off. 😄 

• Haha 1