Did a stupid and now have a disk error

Hi all,

I was working on adding new drives to the chassis and I accidentally disconnected the SATA cable from an existing drive while the system was on. The array seems like it's fine with data but I'm now showing a drive error on one disk. I ran a check and it said everything was fine. I tried to re-insert the disk and start a rebuild. The rebuild quit after just a few minutes and reported an error with the drive. I captured diagnostics and a smart report. I just need to know how to proceed without losing data. Currently the server looks like this 2021-12-01_14-20-13.thumb.jpg.0ec6ba080367411a8a053eec21c17edd.jpg

If I add the disk back and try the rebuild it continues to fail. 

1 hour ago, madcow5x5 said:

Can I install a new disk, do the rebuild, and then re-add this disk?

You should be able to rebuild to the original disk if there is nothing wrong with it. Can't tell since it was disconnected in the diagnostics so no SMART report was available. Rebuilding to a new disk is safer though, since it lets you keep the original disk as is with its contents until you are happy with the rebuild results.

I didn't notice any connection problems with any other disks so maybe it is not the Marvell controller. Do you have IOMMU (AMD-VI) enabled in BIOS?

Since the problem seems to have started with a bad connection that is probably what it is. Check connections, SATA and power, both ends, including splitters.

Some of your disks probably have SMART warnings on the Dashboard page. And you should click on each of your WD disks to get to its page and add attributes 1 and 200 to be monitored, which may get even more SMART warnings on Dashboard.

Dec  1 10:42:01 Big-Daddy root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: unRaids built in FTP server is running
Dec  1 10:42:05 Big-Daddy root: Fix Common Problems: Other Warning: Background notifications not enabled

You should setup Notifications to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected.

Looks like you joined the forum years ago but these are your first posts. Have you been using Unraid that long?

I've had it for a long time but it just runs which is why I like it so much. I haven't had any problems up until now and this was only because I was working inside the server with it running. First time I've ever done it and the last. I was on version 4 for the longest time and upgraded to 6 late in the game. I really appreciate the help. 

Edited by madcow5x5