CPU still being used after configuring 1050ti for transcoding

darkleadr

Hey guys & @ich777

I've read the forum rules, and am really hoping someone can assist.

First off, I am logging in with the email I used to configure the Unraid plus, yet it's still not linking it to the account I paid for, so I am unsure how to resolve the fact I can't post in all the forums. That's not my main issue, but if someone can assist let me know.

Here below is the procedure I've followed and The main problem though that I am having is this:

I've taken my whole unraid server and migrated it into a new mb/cpu. Z590-v / i5 11th gen. 
I then installed a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti into it.

My unraid is Version Unraid OS Plus 6.9.2 2021-04-07

At this point, I 

0. Checked plex app version: Plex-Media-Server

1. Went into Plex docker and added extra parameters = --runtime=nvidia

2. added variable Container Variable: NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES to my GPU-xxxxxx 

3. Set Nvidia driver capabilities to ALL.

4. Installed ICH777 Nvidia-driver and used driver 495.44. The GPU is now showing up there in settings corrently.
5. I disabled and enabled the docker.

6. Rebooted server

7. Inside of my admin Plex account, I've enabled hardware transcoding in the transcode settings area.

However, view a movie remotely, it's still zapping all the CPU, and GPU stats are showing zero usage on the dashboard.

Any ideas on how to get the GPU to handle the transcoding?

I have attached the diags that I just ran if anyone knows how to read them.

I've read somewhere that sometimes the docker-images may need to be changed. I did some research and am at a loss on how to check if I have the right version/app. Maybe I'm reading an old set  of instructions and am missing a toggle switch or something somewhere.

Unfortunately for me my main jobs the last 20 years have been 98% Windows based, and I am really not great with Linux, so I humbly ask for your help and appreciate your knowledge in regards to this.

starlighter-diagnostics-20211202-0653.zip

1 hour ago, darkleadr said:

I've read the forum rules, and am really hoping someone can assist.

First of all I would recommend to post in the appropriate support thread for the Docker (don't know which one you are using) or the Plugin:

5. I disabled and enabled the docker.

This is only necessary if you don't want to restart your server after installing the driver.

Any ideas on how to get the GPU to handle the transcoding?

Many people have the same issue with Plex, some solved it by completely removing the container and reinstalling it again others switched to a container from another maintainer and some even fixed it by forcing an update, here is one example:

(you will find more on the first few pages, I think something inside the container or in Plex is preventing the card from transcoding properly)

Unfortunately for me my main jobs the last 20 years have been 98% Windows based, and I am really not great with Linux, so I humbly ask for your help and appreciate your knowledge in regards to this.

From what I see in your Diagnostics the card is working fine.

i5 11th gen.

You know that you can use the iGPU from the CPU too for transcoding?

The 11th Gen iGPUs should outperform the 1050Ti in simultaneous transcodes by far and in my opinion the transcoding is also better in terms of quality.

• 10 months later...

Hey man. Yeah I did get it fixed eventually. I followed a bunch of instructions I found on this site from ich777 that cured it. It was docker settings related if i believe. However I ditched the card and sold it to purchase  a i5 with quicksync cpu for transcoding instead as it could transcode way way better than that card could.

• Like 1