Is Unraid suitable for my project?

WOWA

Hi guys,

So I have been tasked with building a NAS storage server for the company I work for and I am really torn between what Raid I should use.

I am building the server with the following specs:

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II

SilverStone SST-ST55F-PT - Strider Paltinum Series, 550W 80 Plus Paltinum ATX PC Power Supply

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

IronWolf Pro 125 SSD NAS

The trouble I am having is if Unraid would be suitable for me. The tricky aspect is that this is not made to be a permanent NAS server, moreso a 'temporary' dump for 2TB's of storage. Once this storage is dumped on the NAS server, we are trying to clean it up and remove any of the unnecessary and pointless data, move it to the cloud and then decommission the NAS server.

My question is, would Unraid be suitable for this type of task and how would I go about approaching it? Also, what storage size of SSD's would you recommend for Unraid and this project? I have roughly 2TB of storage data to clean up and was thinking either 3x 1TB IronWolf Pro SSD's or 6x 500GB IronWolf Pro SSD's.

Thank you in advance. 

Just wondering why you're thinking in terms of doing this on a server of any kind? How does using a server make the 'clean up' you mention easier or more efficient? Why not just add a 2TB drive to a regular PC running the OS of your choice, do your 'clean up',  upload to the cloud and be done? Building a NAS with multiple drives seems like a bit of a complicated way to solve a simple problem, while spending a lot of money on drives designed for long term reliability seems an odd choice for a short term project? 

Just a bit puzzled? Maybe you need to say more about the nature of the data you're 'cleaning up' for it to make sense?

On 12/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, awediohead said:

Just wondering why you're thinking in terms of doing this on a server of any kind? How does using a server make the 'clean up' you mention easier or more efficient? Why not just add a 2TB drive to a regular PC running the OS of your choice, do your 'clean up',  upload to the cloud and be done? Building a NAS with multiple drives seems like a bit of a complicated way to solve a simple problem, while spending a lot of money on drives designed for long term reliability seems an odd choice for a short term project? 

Just a bit puzzled? Maybe you need to say more about the nature of the data you're 'cleaning up' for it to make sense?

Hi and thanks for your response.

I should have explained a little better that it is essentially a training exercise amongst other things. My manager is allowing me the opportunity to build a NAS server and see how everything works as a sort of training exercise so I can be equipped to do these things in the future, hence the whole idea of NAS server behind it.

Secondly, the data that I am 'cleaning up' is a massive assortment of data spread over 15+ different drives on the network so it is a lot more complicated than just throwing it on a regular drive and regular PC. It is sensitive data and it is thousands and thousands of different documents, photos and videos, all of which can not be corrupted, lost or damaged in any way. 

Just my two cents... If the data is that sensitive and valuable, this should not be done as a training exercise.  Mistakes will be made (that's what happens when training) and data may be lost as a consequence.  I agree with others, there are simpler and safer ways to manage this task.  And in any case, what provisions would you be making for secure backups while this work is being done?