Help cleaning up my docker setup

I've been running UnRaid since the very begining of time.  A long long time.  I've rebuilt my server a few times, and just went along with the updates.  I've known for a while my docker setup is bad, but it is now affecting the reliability of my system so I need to fix it.

It is a mess.

/mnt/cache - ssd

/mnt/disks/LocalBackup - hdd

/mnt/user/appdata - set to cache only

docker vdisk location: /mnt/disks/LocalBackup/docker-settings

default appdata storage location: /mnt/user/appdata (where did this come from?)

the system share is pointed to Cache pool.

Today:

I have dockers installed in three locations.

/mnt/cache/appdata

/mnt/user/appdata (I assume this is the same thing as /mnt/cache/appdata as it is cache only?)

/mnt/disks/LocalBackup/docker-settings (this is a UD mounted disk.  I moved many dockers here because they were hammering the ssd so I moved them here) - /dev/sdh

It was suggested that I move to multiple cache pools now, instead of relying on UD.

I watched SpaceInvaderOne's YT video on how to create them. All about Using Multiple Cache Pools and Shares in Unraid 6.9 - YouTube

So what is the best way to consolidate this abomination?

What I'd like to accomplish:

I'd like to use the SSD only for the "traditional" cache drive.  Making file writing to the array faster.

I'm fine with everything else going onto the hdd.  I'm even thinking of making the hdd a pool of two disks for redundancy as I have several just sitting on my desk to use.

What should the default appdata storage location be?  Should it be on the array?  I really don't understand why/when this became a thing.  I had always thought cache was cache and not the array, but at some point they got merged or something.

Suggestions wanted.

What I think I need to do:

1. stop dockers

2. backup everything temporarily onto the array

3. unmount /dev/sdh

3. create new cache pool  using /dev/sdh

- will this just mount up as it already has a file system and still maintain all the data?

4. change appdata share to be on /dev/sdh pool

I think that will get dockers going, but what do I do for the ssd?  How do I set it up so that the mover uses it for caching shares?  I'm think I don't have to do anything because my cached shares are already setup using it.

thanks

david

5 hours ago, lovingHDTV said:

always thought cache was cache and not the array, but at some point they got merged or something.

cache was cache, and before 6.9+, was the only pool. Pools are not the array and the array isn't a pool. Not sure what you mean by "merged". Cache (and other pools) has always been included in User Shares. Now that cache isn't the only pool, there is no requirement for any pool to be named "cache".

appdata, domains, system shares should be on a pool, ideally SSD, so dockers/VMs won't have performance impacted by slower parity array, and so these won't keep array disks spunup since there are always open files on these shares. In addition to those shares it might make sense to have others that are on a pool, download post-processing, for example. Personally I would just buy another SSD for these purposes and use those HDDs for something else (or give them away). Some of my previously used HDDs are now backups to store offsite.

thinking of making the hdd a pool of two disks for redundancy

will this just mount up as it already has a file system and still maintain all the data?

Any pool with multiple disks must use btrfs raid, several modes are available.