Another new user with a new build

MadMatt337

After a few years of casually following Unraid and its additions/development I finally decided it is time to take the plunge and build a new Unraid based server. I have always had a build it not buy it mentality yet I have been relying on Synology products (and one storage spaces based build) for my main storage and media requirements for the last 15 years. Can't say they have not been serving my needs but I am looking forward to this new (to me) adventure.

I decided I did not want to limit myself in the future with this build, and leave myself what I believe will be a fair amount of head room so I decided to go with some modern hardware (Intel 12600k) despite this possibly causing me some initial difficulty.

My main uses for the server are going to be general storage, Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, NZBget, and a Windows 10 VM for a light use workstation (if I can get this to work correctly and the wife does not really notice she is working off of a VM). Planning on running the VM direct from the server, seperate video card passed through, seperate nvme, as well as a usb controller to give her a hub on the desk for connecting peripherals. Hoping this will be enough to make it feel like a seperate PC and I can get her off my gaming rig for her daily work until we get into our new house and she has a seperate office space. At this point I will be kind enough to build her a new workstation.

I am sure you will see me around when I butcher something and need help, well hopefully not but plan for the worst and hope for the best right. Regardless I will be constantly lurking, watching for new ideas and fun things to play with. Been doing a ton of reading here lately and there is definitely a great support community here that I can hopefully contribute to in some way, at least someday.

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...

MadMatt,

I saw your pic of the cable management on your Meshify 2 build and was quite inspired by what you did and how you did it.

I have the same case and I'm just starting a rebuild for a new (my second) UnRaid server with the exact same use-case as you. 
These are the parts I picked up so far: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/RXkXsY
I'll be adding a couple Seagate CMR Ironwolf 8TB drives for parity (found on Kijiji ... new at $300 CDN for the pair) and just waiting for the power supply to arrive.

I saw your picture of your cable management which I really like. I'm trying to decide if the cables included with the cased should go up and over the top and down through the case management guides ... like this guy did: 3768ul09irt51.jpg

... or follow your lead and tie them down along the fan edge and across the bottom.

Was there anything in your approach/experience with your build that made you decide to do it the way you did? I'll be using the built in fan controller the same as you. I don't need all the flashy LED's as this will be tucked away in my equipment room as a headless storage server.

Thanks for posting your pic. I would also like to see what the MoBo side looks like.

I'll post my build when complete