Move Dashboard modules between columns

Elmojo

Thanks for all the support, folks!

I think we're at the point now where hopefully the devs will take notice.

I have no clue what the threshold is for when a feature request becomes popular enough to gain consideration for integration into a release, but this seems like a fairly easy one to implement, so maybe we'll see it sooner rather than later. Or perhaps this is all wishful thinking, and it'll never happen. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 just figured out that I can move the things within their columns freely but not between columns. Like others stated my column on the left has the bulk and the center and right columns have just a couple things. Blew my mind I couldn't drag stuff over to organize them and make them equal lengths. At the very least make it split them equally between the columns and then we can organize better that way! Thanks.

12 hours ago, gamertaboo said:

+1 just figured out that I can move the things within their columns freely but not between columns. Like others stated my column on the left has the bulk and the center and right columns have just a couple things. Blew my mind I couldn't drag stuff over to organize them and make them equal lengths. At the very least make it split them equally between the columns and then we can organize better that way! Thanks.

The "columns" are 3 sections, the last two flow between being side by side or stacked, depending on your browser width. If you make your browser narrower, the "middle" and "right" stack to become very close to the length of the "left" block.

You are just being penalized for expanding the width of your browser past the design intent. 🙂

Seriously though, free placement of all items would be nice, the sticky part is how you handle displaying it to different browser widths. If you open the site in a tall skinny browser like a mobile phone in portrait mode, do you force left right scrolling, or do you flow everything vertical? If the browser is then expanded side to side, do you create more and more columns?

(Disclaimer, I am not a web developer, or involved in any way with the layout or design of Unraid. I'm just pointing out that it's not quite as simple as it sounds on the surface to make things look good for multiple layouts simultaneously)

25 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

The "columns" are 3 sections, the last two flow between being side by side or stacked, depending on your browser width. If you make your browser narrower, the "middle" and "right" stack to become very close to the length of the "left" block.

I have never observed this behavior. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Can you provide an example of how to make it do this? If the dashboard would work this way, I doubt we all would be complaining so much, since that would provide at least a workaround for how to get things into a bit more balanced view.  When I resize my browser, all that happens is it cuts off the right column and adds a horizontal scroll.  Please tell me I'm missing something, this would be awesome!

4 minutes ago, Elmojo said:

I have never observed this behavior. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Can you provide an example of how to make it do this? If the dashboard would work this way, I doubt we all would be complaining so much, since that would provide at least a workaround for how to get things into a bit more balanced view.  When I resize my browser, all that happens is it cuts off the right column and adds a horizontal scroll.  Please tell me I'm missing something, this would be awesome!

Dunno what to tell you, like I said I'm not a web dev.

That's very interesting, as mine does not display that behavior. I would assume that it doesn't work that way for others either, or there wouldn't be so much support for this issue to be resolved.

Are you both @JonathanM and @Hoopster accessing the dashboard through a standard url?  I mean, there's not an app or anything, is there?  I have to assume this is on a desktop PC, right? I can't imagine how you'd be able to resize the window otherwise.  Are you using some sort of dashboard plugin perhaps that adds that functionality?

I don't know how to create and post a gif like that, or I could demonstrate that mine doesn't work the way shown above.

Well I just don't know what to tell you then.  Mine absolutely does not do that, on any browser. I'm on Windows 10 x64.  If mine did as shown in your gif, I would never have created this thread, since I often run my dashboard in a non-maximized window and would have noticed that behavior right away.  Really strange.
I'll be interested to hear from others as to whether theirs acts as yours, or more like mine.  I can't imagine what sort of environmental variable or system configuration could account for the difference.

17 minutes ago, Elmojo said:

I can't imagine what sort of environmental variable or system configuration could account for the difference.

This gives me 2 columns on my laptop in chrome, full width.

image.thumb.png.99d68de0eeeac368972f64934213e8c5.png

If I change Scale to 100%, I get 3 columns.

And on our desktop, this gives me 3 columns in chrome, full width.

image.thumb.png.b8aa397e4939ba41c3ff702d8e1709a2.png

If I resize the browser to about 2/3 full width, I get 2 columns

1 hour ago, Elmojo said:

accessing the dashboard through a standard url?

Yes:  image.png.e39d76d1e4aaea2bade883f959ae8297.png or IP address of server

1 hour ago, Elmojo said:

I mean, there's not an app or anything, is there?

Nope

1 hour ago, Elmojo said:

I have to assume this is on a desktop PC,

Same behavior on Windows 11/10 desktops and laptops and also my iPhone 14 (not the best way to access full GUI) and my wife's iPad.  Below is iPhone screenshot:

657823546_IMG_53901.thumb.PNG.edf36a34ec1fabeb3056eab2a892e314.PNG

1 hour ago, Elmojo said:

Are you using some sort of dashboard plugin perhaps that adds that functionality?

Nope.

Obviously, you do not see this behavior but it appears to be the "normal" behavior.  Something on your system must be preventing it.

Well that's just nuts.

So it appears that for some of us, it's working fairly well, and resizing columns to fit the available window space, pretty much as you'd expect.

For the rest of us (all those who have added their +1's to this thread), the columns are fixed at 3, and don't resize at all. Changing the browser window size only adds scroll bars, as though the page layout was fixed, and not responsive at all.

Really odd. I don't have a clue how to explain that.  Hopefully one of the devs will eventually see this and can perhaps explain why it happens and more importantly, can proposed a solution for those of us whose dashboards are not operating "as designed".

This has just gone from a feature request to a bug report, I think. :/