[SUPPORT] SmartPhoneLover - Vorta (GUI for Borg Backup)

vorta_200x200.png

This docker template was created based on an already available official docker image

GitHub: https://github.com/borgbase/vorta

GitHub (Docker): https://github.com/borgbase/vorta-docker
Documentation: https://vorta.borgbase.com/

Documentation (borg): https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
My Repository: https://github.com/SmartPhoneLover/unraid-docker-templates

DESCRIPTION

This is a docker template for Vorta (GUI for Borg Backup), a backup client for macOS and Linux desktops. It integrates the mighty BorgBackup with your desktop environment to protect your data from disk failure, ransomware and theft.

NOTES

• There are other variables available, if needed. Check the GitHub repo to know more.
• The dirs needed to interact with the host and/or any external device, is located on '/data' (bkp_to, bkp_from) in the root of the container.

• Thank you very much 'marklambert (Ranbato)' (DH/GH) and 'scumbug' (DH/GH) for contributing on creating the Vorta docker image. Now, being in the official borgbase repo.

VERSION
1.5 (2022-05-31)

If you are going to report a bug or request something to be added/modified, please, take into consideration that I will only be able to apply changes for the work I own only. For example, if I create a docker template for an already existing docker image (not created by me), I won't be able to do more for that image than forward your report or request to the owner of the project.

Edited by SmartPhoneLover

Cheer for that container!

Small sugestion - in your template source directory should be set to Read Only as there's no point to have this as Read/Write with full access (especially that someone may use /mnt/user instead of separate RO mount points)

2 hours ago, kri kri said:

Thanks for making this. Is there any way to specify a number of external backup locations? I am thinking multiple external drives mapped using unassigned devices. 

Just set another PATH -> /mnt/disks/[backup] <- I've got unassigned HDD dedicated for backups and it's location is inside /mnt/disks

41 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

For the new guy.  Does this basically let you backup your macbooks to a server?

I don't know how a macbook could work in terms of LAN resources, comparing to Windows for example. Maybe is the same? I never used macOS sorry.

But i think, that if you configure it to be available on your network, or maybe certain directories (shares), you could still find them inside the sources. Just add the published directories to a mounted share inside your unRAID (unassigned devices plugin), and you will be able to find them in Vorta, like another share on the network.

UPDATE

1.2 (2021-12-09)

- Change: Changed source and destination ending paths (/locations/*) to something more descriptive, as: TO (destination) and FROM (source).
- Fix: '/.../appdata/Vorta' to '/.../appdata/vorta', so make sure to move old files to the new dir if you wanna keep configs. (not actually an issue but non-capital letters is the convention I like to use for dirs under appdata)

Hi!

Thank you very much for your docker. I like it very much. I just have one question - would it be possible to change the permissions after a backup-run?

I'm asking because I would like to upload the archive-files with another (rclone)-container - but the other docker doesn't have the permission to access the files... 

Thank you so much!

6 minutes ago, sturmstar said:

Hi!

Thank you very much for your docker. I like it very much. I just have one question - would it be possible to change the permissions after a backup-run?

I think you should check the UMASK variable, it will allow you to customize how backup files are created. Or you can also create a cron job in unRAID to periodically check and assign permissions to whatever you would like for the new files.

2 minutes ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

I think you should check the UMASK variable, it will allow you to customize how backup files are created. Or you can also create a cron job in unRAID to periodically check and assign permissions to whatever you would like for the new files.

Hi! Thanks for the quick response. 

Cronjob in Unraid is imho a bad solution because I don't know how long the backup is running for example.

I know there are these UMASK settings - but I must confess I'm not familiar with how these are working exactly. Could you give me a hint how I could/should set them - it would be no problem if the permissions are for all - I have no security issues here.

thanks

Oh yes, I didn't take that into consideration: crone jobs.

When does your rclone fail to access the files?

1: When trying to read files directly, without having to navigate through dirs? I mean, if you configure the path for rclone to access the bkp files directly from the last vorta repo dir, in other others, where all the files are created actually (last directory).

2: When trying to enter to some directory to copy it and all its files recursively? Maybe trying to back up the hole repo, including its backed up files.

I asked it because if the UMASK var is not set within the template, it will apply 022 value by default, and that means:

- For FILES, it should have access without restriction, as the READ permission is set for owner/group/other (rw-r--r--).

- For FOLDERS, it should have access without restriction, as the READ permission is set for owner/group/other (rwxr-xr-x).

Only for tests, could you temporally add the UMASK var and set it to 000? Then, run rclone backup manually to see what happends.

Note: Delete the backup files previously created by Vorta before executing Vorta backup again with new UMASK settings. And try, if not yet, to make rclone to backup the files from the last Vorta repo dir, I mean, where the bkp files are saved actually.

Edited by SmartPhoneLover
7 hours ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

@sturmstar

I couldn't find the reason why you're experiencing that behaviour with the files created by Vorta. (I don't use RCLONE)

I have asked it to other users, but did not receive a reply yet as not many of them use RCLONE. I will reply to this thread if I have an answer for this.

Thank you for your efforts here. 

Just for you to know - currently I use the 'borgmatic' container for borg-backups. The issue with the permissions there is exactly the same - except there is the possibility to run a "hook" after the backup is done. I use it to chmod 777 -r everything after a backup. Also not an elegant solution but it works at the moment.

But I just like the GUI from vorta - i hope we can come to a solution there. 

What I don't understand is - I'm no expert with linux in general - and with file permissions in linux - in combination with docker inside/outside - but should it be so hard (?) - I mean - is this such a 'special' demand?  - someone has to be knowing what he's doing.

best regards

11 hours ago, sturmstar said:

Thank you for your efforts here. 

Just for you to know - currently I use the 'borgmatic' container for borg-backups. The issue with the permissions there is exactly the same - except there is the possibility to run a "hook" after the backup is done. I use it to chmod 777 -r everything after a backup. Also not an elegant solution but it works at the moment.

But I just like the GUI from vorta - i hope we can come to a solution there. 

What I don't understand is - I'm no expert with linux in general - and with file permissions in linux - in combination with docker inside/outside - but should it be so hard (?) - I mean - is this such a 'special' demand?  - someone has to be knowing what he's doing.

best regards

What about ownership? Have you tried exporting PUID and PGID ?

11 hours ago, cpu said:

What about ownership? Have you tried exporting PUID and PGID ?

I don't know what 'export PUID und GUID means...

But I 'solved' it the other way - I got it running by changing PUID und GUID to 0 and 0 on the rclone-docker - I think this means that the rclone-docker is running with root rights - and so it can access the files from vorta.

...best regards

I installed the docker container yet when I try to generate a SSH key through the GUI I got no luck. After pressing the "Generate and copy to Clipboard" button nothing happends. I checked the logs, reinstalled the container (also deleted the folder) and yet no luck either. Tried it on multiple devices through vnc. Any possible solution?

• 2 weeks later...