[SUPPORT] SmartPhoneLover - Vorta (GUI for Borg Backup)

On 12/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, Hotsoupie said:

I installed the docker container yet when I try to generate a SSH key through the GUI I got no luck. After pressing the "Generate and copy to Clipboard" button nothing happends. I checked the logs, reinstalled the container (also deleted the folder) and yet no luck either. Tried it on multiple devices through vnc. Any possible solution?

Hello, first, sorry for the late reply.

Then, about creating a SSH key for the repo, while creating the repo, I have to say that I didn't have any problem during this process. What I have done, is just create the repo by proding  a passphrase to it and left all other options (advanced tab) untouched.

Edited by SmartPhoneLover
Just now, kri kri said:

Thanks for the V2 docker. The previous docker when you selected a folder, /locations would be the default selection. Can this be updated? 

Yes, I know that. Something has changed when this new user created the image, but don't know what exactly. But, it stills being available from within the container, if you leave the 'Container' paths as them are. Just navigate to the '/locations' path manually.

eoi84tjor_1.JPG

eoi84tjor_2.JPG

eoi84tjor_3.JPG

eoi84tjor_4.JPG

On 12/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, sturmstar said:

Hi!

Thank you very much for your docker. I like it very much. I just have one question - would it be possible to change the permissions after a backup-run?

I'm asking because I would like to upload the archive-files with another (rclone)-container - but the other docker doesn't have the permission to access the files... 

Thank you so much!

Hello again,

If you still using the other Vorta template, I would suggest you to try the last one I uploaded (Vorta2) which is based on latest Vorta/Borg version. Also, thanks to a collegue from Telegram (UnRAID_ES), now Vorta can create backup files without problems (permission issues), by applying a little workaround but within Vorta itself.

To apply custom permissions (chmod) to backups...

1. Go to 'Schedule' tab (Vorta).

2. Add the 'chmod 777 -R /locations/TO' cmd into the second Shell Commands's field.

3. Done.

The above setting will allow Vorta to change file permissions after creation.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

Hello again,

If you still using the other Vorta template, I would suggest you to try the last one I uploaded (Vorta2) which is based on latest Vorta/Borg version. Also, thanks to a collegue from Telegram (UnRAID_ES), now Vorta can create backup files without problems (permission issues), by applying a little workaround but within Vorta itself.

To apply custom permissions (chmod) to backups...

1. Go to 'Schedule' tab (Vorta).

2. Add the 'chmod 777 -R /locations/TO' cmd into the second Shell Commands's field.

3. Done.

The above setting will allow Vorta to change file permissions after creation.

Hi. Just installed the v2 and added the chmod 777 into the field. I will tell you later if it works this way - but why shoudn't it. 

Thank you. Best regards

• Like 1
On 12/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, sturmstar said:

Hi. Just installed the v2 and added the chmod 777 into the field. I will tell you later if it works this way - but why shoudn't it. 

Thank you. Best regards

It worked perfectly. Thank you.

If I could make another wish or "feature request" - implement a possibility to send notifications (mail) for different events like "backup successfull", "backup failed" usw.

But as I said - that's only a wish.

Best regards

3 hours ago, Greygoose said:

SmartPhoneLover,

What is the difference between Vorta and Vorta 2?

If you check the main thread, the 'Vorta' template is based on a deprecated docker image (old Vorta/Borg version), and 'Vorta2' is based on another different docker image, from another user, which is based on the latest version of Vorta and Borg.

Other than that, the differences between both are just these.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, sturmstar said:

If I could make another wish or "feature request" - implement a possibility to send notifications (mail) for different events like "backup successfull", "backup failed" usw.

There's a user from Telegram that made a little script that does exactly that, but with Telegram notifications (bot), not email. Maybe, could be done the same with email API.

Wjen I test it, I will post it here, don't worry.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

There's a user from Telegram that made a little script that does exactly that, but with Telegram notifications (bot), not email. Maybe, could be done the same with email API.

Wjen I test it, I will post it here, don't worry.

Sounds good - similar to the Telegram bot which is integrated in unraid - and I'm using...

Firstly thanks for providing this!!! I have a weird issue (and I assume I can use vorta2 to backup my Unraid instance).  I have the volumes mounted as below;

volumes:
      - /mnt/user/appdata/vorta2/config:/config
      - /mnt/user/appdata:/config/locations/FROM/appdata
      - /mnt/user/photos:/locations/FROM/photos
      - /mnt/user/storage:/locations/FROM/storage
      - /mnt/user/system:/locations/FROM/system
      - /boot:/locations/FROM/boot
      - /mnt/remotes/nas:/config/locations/TO

But the container doesn't start and stalls at

[cont-init.d] 00-take-config-ownership.sh: executing...

Now I have nailed it down to the mounting of /mnt/user/appdata.  Is there any way around this?

Where does this docker store it's ssh public key?

I'd like to connect to an already existing Borg backup on a remote host. My connection string (from the command line) is like this:

ssh://[email protected]:10222/mnt/user/borgbackup

This assumes that I have the local ssh key in the authorised hosts file on the remote system, but I can't see where this docker's ssh public key is located.

Edited by ThatDude

The issue I found with this container re: ssh is that there is no home folder setup for the app user.

So when creating ssh keys they get written to /dev/null/.ssh by default (go into the ether). This is also the location that known hosts should be, so even if you put ssh keys somewhere else when vorta/borg attempts to ssh to borgbase it can't save the remote host into the known hosts file.

To rectify I jumped into the Vorta2 container:

docker exec -it Vorta2 sh

Then setup /config as the home directory for the app user (that way keys and known hosts would live in my appdata/Vorta2/.ssh folder)

/tmp # usermod -d /config app

To check it worked you can see where users home folders are located by running this in the container:

getent passwd

app:x:99:100::/config:/sbin/nologin

From there I could create ssh keys, select them from dropdown, and connect to borgbase with authorized hosts and keys being stored in /config/.ssh

My vorta appdata folder now has the following in its .ssh folder:

borgbase_ssh.PNG.b2a7e2b075b71735bd0b7ef1ce42f9e5.PNG

Hope that helps.

Edited by Jonathon
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Can the Vorta 2 docker be updated to include this so we do not need to manually perform it?

Thank you!

On 1/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, Jonathon said:

The issue I found with this container re: ssh is that there is no home folder setup for the app user.

So when creating ssh keys they get written to /dev/null/.ssh by default (go into the ether). This is also the location that known hosts should be, so even if you put ssh keys somewhere else when vorta/borg attempts to ssh to borgbase it can't save the remote host into the known hosts file.

To rectify I jumped into the Vorta2 container:

docker exec -it Vorta2 sh

Then setup /config as the home directory for the app user (that way keys and known hosts would live in my appdata/Vorta2/.ssh folder)

/tmp # usermod -d /config app

To check it worked you can see where users home folders are located by running this in the container:

getent passwd

app:x:99:100::/config:/sbin/nologin

From there I could create ssh keys, select them from dropdown, and connect to borgbase with authorized hosts and keys being stored in /config/.ssh

My vorta appdata folder now has the following in its .ssh folder:

borgbase_ssh.PNG.b2a7e2b075b71735bd0b7ef1ce42f9e5.PNG

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

Vorta2 image author here.  Because of the attention this has received, the image has been made a part of the official borgbase git repos at https://github.com/borgbase/vorta-docker

The new location for the images will be 

ghcr.io/borgbase/vorta-docker

I believe that the issue is fixed in the latest image available there.  The fix is not available at the original repo location and I've put up a notice about the new location there as well.

Thanks,

Mark

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Ranbato said:

Hi, 

Vorta2 image author here.  Because of the attention this has received, the image has been made a part of the official borgbase git repos at https://github.com/borgbase/vorta-docker

I believe that the issue is fixed in the latest image available there.  The fix is not available at the original repo location and I've put up a notice about the new location there as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello!

First of all, thank you very much for your work, it is awesome! Thank you for creating the image 🤝😉.

Regarding to the changes on the repo, I will change the template to point it to the new repo.

Edited by SmartPhoneLover
1 hour ago, Ranbato said:

Hi, 

Thanks,

Mark

This is great, but... You just made obsolete my 2 weeks old video tutorial!!! XD

I found the usermod workaround by myself, and posted it as part of my guide. No longer needed, it seems.

Now seriously, thank you for your container. Lots of users from the Spanish community have started to use Borg recently thanks to your container.

Keep on with your great work! 👏