[SUPPORT] SmartPhoneLover - Vorta (GUI for Borg Backup)

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted a feature request to include the llfuse module in the docker container today.  

Is there a way to specify where logfiles are kept?  Other than things being sent to the syslog that's viewable in the Docker logfile, I would like to be able to see the more detailed logfiles that are referenced in the GUI.  Can't seem to find them anywhere.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 10:01 AM, Lonnie LeMaster said:

Is it possible to mount an archive from within the gui?

On 3/5/2022 at 9:06 AM, Ranbato said:

No, but you might try putting in a feature request for the app

Just wrapped this up with the vorta-docker container owner.  The next version of the docker container should include support for mounting archives within Vorta.  

Once the update is pushed out, you'll need to add device "/dev/fuse" and "--cap-add SYS_ADMIN" under "extra parameters" in the advanced view.  

After mounting the archive in the GUI, you'll need to open a command line in the vorta docker as the "app" user, since that's the user the vorta application runs as.  The default "console" command from the GUI won't do it.

Run the following from the Unraid terminal:

docker exec -it --user app vorta sh

Alternatively, you could just skip mounting the archive from wihtin the gui and open a standard vorta console.  MAnually mount the repo with:

borg mount /destination/repo /destination/mountpoint

Probably easier in the long run.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

1.4 (2022-04-01)

- Other: Reverted 'source' (BKP_FROM) and 'destination' (BKP_TO) container dirs to the original ones used on first template version, to avoid confusion with the ones used by the author of the docker image from GitHub.

* There's no need to re-create the container from scratch, if already installed, just edit the paths in the template, but do not forget to adjust them inside Vorta too!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 3:19 PM, Vash12 said:

I'm getting this error msg when I tried to change from "Backup manually" to Backup daily or weekly.

Please help... thanks

Capture.JPG

Hello everyone,
I have similar problems as the poster before me. The interface is crashing and no further operation is possible. A restart does not fix the problem, i.e. I can no longer make any changes.

5E01C5D1-ABB4-4D03-A7EE-CB14FFECCA41.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, Stenki said:

Hello everyone,
I have similar problems as the poster before me. The interface is crashing and no further operation is possible. A restart does not fix the problem, i.e. I can no longer make any changes.

5E01C5D1-ABB4-4D03-A7EE-CB14FFECCA41.jpeg

Same here - everything was working fine for long time and crash broke everything.

13 minutes ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

@Gerben321

Try cleaning the cache of your browser (firefox, chrome...). Then, launch it again.

The same is applicable for any noVNC connection.

Note: Another alternative is to open it in private mode, so you won't need to clear the cache.

Thanks, I tried to force a refresh and hoped that it would clear the cache, but it didn't. Good to know it's still working.

8 minutes ago, Gerben321 said:

Thanks, I tried to force a refresh and hoped that it would clear the cache, but it didn't. Good to know it's still working.

Well, you can try another approach if what you don't want is to clear it manually.

If you're using Firefox...

1. Open developer console (Control + Shift + I).

2. Click on the '3-dot' icon, located on the top-right. Then, click on 'Settings'.

3. Locate the 'Advanced Settings' (scroll down a bit).

4. If not enabled, do it for the 'Disable Cache (when toolbox is open)' option.

5. Restart the browser.

Now try loading the container again in a normal window.

• 2 months later...

There was a recent Vorta update and since then both my systems no longer seem to backup.

I get an error like this: PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/myfoldername/backupfolder/nonce-lkaa0h5v.tmp'

The weird thing is that the nonce file is created, and it has content. So I'm not sure what's going on here.

This is the permissions. When I change user or permisson I get a permission error in the Vorta frontend, but with this one I just get a super big error in the frontend, and only the permission line in the docker logs.

image.png

I can see all folders and files in the GUI, and I can see the archives and all stuff like that.

edit: Went back to tag 431f3e0 and both machines work great.

Edited by Gerben321
  • 2 months later...

Great tool, thanks for your work on this.

I'm a long time Borg user but never really liked managing it all through scripts and have tested that I can migrate my existing backups into this Vorta docker quite easily which is great!

One thing I'm keen to do and looking for the author's or others guidance is getting the results into the Unraid syslog server, as having to open the interface and check the log of each profile for success or failure is not sustainable.

In my existing scripts for borg, I send a mesage based on the output code to the Unraid syslog and I will explore doing that here but a proper capability within Vorta or this container would be great. I will also raise this as a feature request with Vorta.

Interested in ideas though, I will try and post messages to the systlog from within the docker using the post command line but keen to hear ideas around this or if people have a better way.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, SmartPhoneLover said:

There's a user from Telegram that made a little script that does exactly that, but with Telegram notifications (bot), not email. Maybe, could be done the same with email API.

Wjen I test it, I will post it here, don't worry.

First of all thank you for maintaining this container, it's working very nicely.

Are there any news about a possibility to get some notifications from the container?

Personally I would prefer email since I'm not using telegram.

The lucky backup container (https://hub.docker.com/r/ich777/luckybackup) has email notifications using a simple perl script which gets the required configuration parameters over the command line. It's called sendemail. You can find it here

https://github.com/mogaal/sendemail

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

When the required perl modules are installed it even has TLS support. If you could incorprate this into the image, it would be easy to configure email notifications using the Pre-Backup und Post-Backup Shell Commands.

I tried to copy the script and the perl binaries into the image myself, but i failed since sh claimed that it could not find the files although the permissions seemed to be correct.

Or should I use the sendmail executable which can be found in the image? I had no luck using it either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, martymcbro said:

First of all thank you for maintaining this container, it's working very nicely.

Are there any news about a possibility to get some notifications from the container?

Personally I would prefer email since I'm not using telegram.

The lucky backup container (https://hub.docker.com/r/ich777/luckybackup) has email notifications using a simple perl script which gets the required configuration parameters over the command line. It's called sendemail. You can find it here

https://github.com/mogaal/sendemail

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

When the required perl modules are installed it even has TLS support. If you could incorprate this into the image, it would be easy to configure email notifications using the Pre-Backup und Post-Backup Shell Commands.

I tried to copy the script and the perl binaries into the image myself, but i failed since sh claimed that it could not find the files although the permissions seemed to be correct.

Or should I use the sendmail executable which can be found in the image? I had no luck using it either.

I just got e-mail notifications working.

First I installed perl and the required modules into the image:

apk add --no-cache perl perl-dev perl-socket6 perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-net-ssleay perl-io-socket-ssl

Then I downloaded the sendEmail script and copied it into /usr/bin

cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/lucalandolfi/sendEmail/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
unzip master.zip
cp sendEmail-master/sendEmail.pl /usr/bin/sendEmail

Finally I configured the following commands in Vorta under "Schedule -> Shell Commands":

Pre-backup:

sendEmail -f [email protected] -t [email protected] -u "Vorta backup started" -m "Vorta backup of $repo_url started" -o tls=yes -s mail.server.com:port -xu emailusername -xp emailpassword

Post-backup:

sendEmail -f [email protected] -t [email protected] -u "Vorta backup finished" -m "Vorta backup of $repo_url finished with returncode $returncode" -o tls=yes -s mail.server.com:port -xu emailusername -xp emailpassword

Just make sure you replace sender address, receiver address, mail server and the credentials with your own ones.

I used a fork of sendEmail from github, because the original version sendEmail-1.56 gave me the following error regarding the tls connection:

invalid SSL_version specified at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/IO/Socket/SSL.pm line 670

Is there any chance that this could be incorporated into the docker image?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to unraid and I do not understand how to setup or use the vorta integration.

I'm already using vorta on my old mac and would like to move it to unraid and use it for all my machines.

How do I set up the to/from paths? Maybe someone could please give me an example.

How do I set it up so that I can backup my different machines?

Lets say in my current Macbook I want so backup my users folder.

thanks in advance,

paul

ok, thanks for such a quick response.

Your how to is great but this would be the way to use unraid as the backup server.

I use a offsite hetzner storage as backup destination running borg server there.

When I saw the vorta app in unraid I figured that it is used to backup my clients and maybe some of the unraid shares to a borg server somewhere.

1 hour ago, ppaul said:

ok, thanks for such a quick response.

Your how to is great but this would be the way to use unraid as the backup server.

I use a offsite hetzner storage as backup destination running borg server there.

When I saw the vorta app in unraid I figured that it is used to backup my clients and maybe some of the unraid shares to a borg server somewhere.

Help this?

https://vorta.borgbase.com/

I find the URL from your Hetzner Borg can be used alternative to the Unraid or borgbase URL.

17 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

Help this?

https://vorta.borgbase.com/

I find the URL from your Hetzner Borg can be used alternative to the Unraid or borgbase URL.

not really as this wasn't my question. I know how to set up vorta and borg and thelike.

Thing is as it seems I have to install "unmounted devices" App and then mount the smb shares I want to backup. I will consider this but maybe I stick to using vorta client on all my machines and go from there.

Maybe unraid serves as my borgserver and from there I sync with hetzner.

now I'm confused to what strategy is best.