Notification emails filling my gmail 'sent items'

partyhat

I have Notifications configured as below but it fills up my "sent" items in Gmail with the daily notifications which is frustrating when trying to look at my sent items. I changed the sending email address but I still get it showing up in "Sent" and it still appears in the "From" field, with the sending address only shown for reply-to, as in the third screenshot below. How to fix this?

Settings:

I8v1krh.jpg

"Sent" folder:

NI4vOFy.jpg

Received email:

L6Y0kx5.jpg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.  I don't see any bug.  The email is being sent via your gmail account, so gmail dutifully shows it in your sent items.  The sending email address has nothing really to do with the account that's actually sending it.

ie: The email is not being sent from [email protected]

Either create a rule to delete from sent items those particular emails, or create another burner account to send them from so you don't see them and only see them in the inbox

Fair enough, if that’s how they’ve developed it to work.. I think the “help” info should be refined though, as it isn’t really doing what it suggests. I figured it should spoof the sent-from info the same way it spoofed the reply-to info. Replying to a notification at that address would obviously never be done, or helpful since it’s an obviously made up email address. For now I guess I’ll just route it via another gmail account, though it’s not ideal. Thanks for your help, and maybe the dev team could look at this further. 

3C5B283A-39DE-4610-AC1B-27C04D2116E0.png

Edited by partyhat
On 12/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, trurl said:

Never shows up in my Sent. Are you using an Application password for gmail? You shouldn't use your regular gmail password for this.

I use an application password and these notifications have always shown up in my gmail Sent items. This makes sense, I would expect any email sent by my account to show up in my sent items, regardless of whether it was sent by an application or through the gmail webgui.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:17 AM, partyhat said:

A rule to do what? Isn’t this fixable with unraid, as it appears to be a bug that it doesn’t send from the address it should be?

You could create a gmail rule to delete the unwanted mail from your sent items. Or just ignore them :) 

It is not an Unraid bug, it is gmail keeping track of all the mail that was sent through your account.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, trurl said:

Never shows up in my Sent

On 12/12/2021 at 2:53 AM, JorgeB said:

Same.

Odd... maybe check to see if you created a rule many years ago? Or maybe Unraid isn't using the account you think it is?

I guess the point I’m trying to make now is what is the point of the “sending email address” field if it only comes through the email system as a way to pointlessly reply to automated emails? It’s certainly not the sender of the notifications as the help description suggests. 

Edited by partyhat

Probably because email without a from address is likely to get marked as spam?

Keep in mind we have just been talking about gmail here. This system can be used with other providers which may have specific requirements for that address.

BTW, I have multiple Unraid servers and one thing I do is set both the sending and recipient addresses to:
  [email protected]

gmail let's you add "+whateveryouwant" to your address, and this makes it easy for me to tell which of my servers sent a particular message. I haven't tried filtering the sent items based on this, but it may work.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

The servername always appears in the subject line

True, for notifications you can set the "Email subject prefix" to include the servername. But the preclear script also uses this address to send emails (not sure why it doesn't just send a notification?) and occasionally I see errors about cron jobs, without the "+servername" in the address I wouldn't know which server these were from.  Anyway, just a tip :)