Post suggestions for making this forum easier.

MrGrey

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MrGrey said:

Reading General Support is a nightmare of convoluted problems that "many?" don't/do experience?.

I, personally, have less confidence in Unraid after reading that forum.

MGrey.

To be fair, most of the issues are because of hardware incompatibilities, poor documentation, or lack of understanding on the users part. I'm not saying Unraid is trouble free, but with the vast array of differing hardware, it's hard to cover all the different contingencies, and the documentation consistently has lagged behind the product.

There are some hardware combinations that just don't work, but it's impossible to figure that out beforehand, so we just have to offer the best guidance we currently have, and hope to fix as many issues as possible, but there are some things just not under Unraid's control. Marvell and realtek's consistent disregard for the linux community in favor of microsoft is one example, there are many others.

For the most trouble free experience, find someone who is successfully doing what you want to accomplish, and copy their build. Unfortunately because of the fast moving nature of the PC business, it's difficult to post recommended parts lists, as that info is out of date within weeks or sooner sometimes.

You, @JonathanM, are a person that I respect (in many threads). I appreciate you taking the time to say what you've said. I agree with (mostly) everything that you've said.

It doesn't change what I said -- which is,

On 12/10/2021 at 9:32 PM, MrGrey said:

General Support should be hard to find for newbies

Bit of a shock here -- didn't realize I could quote myself like that...

Anyway... I would certainly agree with, "poor documentation" (your words, not mine), but I might expand it to include that no one really knows. (big pause for effect).

There should be a 'General Discussion' forum, way before anyone (new) sees "Support".

I would post in 'General Questions/Discussion" (where people ask stuff before they fuck up), but I would NEVER post in 'General Support' because they (everyone there) know so much more than I do.

It's just my (little) opinion.

I wish everyone, most of all @JonathanM and @SpencerJ the most happiest of holidays, whether they be Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or any other reason to celebrate whatever is important to you and yours.

Mr. Grey.