Failed drive as I was replacing a drive

I have a 4TB drive getting a lot of read errors, so I ordered a couple 14TB drives.  I precleared them both.

I'm following this guide:

The parity swap procedure - Unraid | Docs

I got as far as stopping the array, unassigning the data drive to be replaced. starting the array, verifying it was missing and shutting down.

I then removed the data drive and installed the new 14TB drive that will become my parity.  my current parity is 10TB.

I booted up and see the new 14TB drive, but now another drive has gone missing.  I've fussed with power and sata cables, rebooted several times and cannot get the newly failed drive to come back up.

So how do I re-install my 4TB drive that has read errors, but at least is working back into its slot?

I think if I can do this, I can complete the parity swap with the newly failed drive, then after that is done use my second 14TB drive to swap out the original 4TB drive with read errors.

I think I can re-install the 4TB drive, then assign it to the proper slot and say yes this is correct?  I think I've done that before, but wanted to ask before making things worst.

A couple pictures. One before, one after.

thanks

david

OrigDriveAssignmentsjpg.jpg

CurrentDriveAssignments.jpg

Even if we can go that way though, you would need a disk that could be assigned to that slot, so that slot could then be unassigned after New Config to disable it.

Do you have any other disk not larger than current parity that would work well enough that you could assign to that slot? Doesn't matter at all what is on it as long as it can be detected and of course isn't a disk already assigned to the array.

There is also a command line method to get it to rebuild a different disk, but I haven't thought of any way to combine that with parity swap.

2 hours ago, lovingHDTV said:

a 4TB drive getting a lot of read errors

2 hours ago, lovingHDTV said:

cannot get the newly failed drive to come back up

Since you apparently had more than one disk with problems, I have to wonder if any of your other disks have problems also. Parity by itself, of course, can rebuild nothing. Every bit of all other disks must be reliably read to reliably rebuild every bit of a disk.

Attach Diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread (probably the longest I have gone in a thread before asking for that).

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

Even if we can go that way though, you would need a disk that could be assigned to that slot, so that slot could then be unassigned after New Config to disable it.

Do you have any other disk not larger than current parity that would work well enough that you could assign to that slot? Doesn't matter at all what is on it as long as it can be detected and of course isn't a disk already assigned to the array.

There is also a command line method to get it to rebuild a different disk, but I haven't thought of any way to combine that with parity swap.

I do have a couple 1TB and 2TB drives, but they are smaller than the missing 5TB.  Does that matter?

What happens when you mislabel two drives because their serial numbers are off by one letter?

You get really confused!!!!

Anyway, my isssue is that the drive that didn't get plugged in all the way had the wrong serial number label on it.  So, I was "debugging" a perfectly good working drive.  When I left it unplugged, because I gave up on it, I then saw TWO drives missing.  Panic ensued. . .

Hint:  When you print serial number labels for you drives so you can easily match the drive in the case to the drive in UnRaid.  Make sure you do it correctly :)

I was able to complete the parity swap flow.  I unassigned the original parity, assigned the 14TB drive as the new parity.  I then assigned the old parity as the new data drive.

I then got the "copy parity over" button and it is currently copying the old parity drive to the new drive.  Then it is supposed to rebuild the data drive.