New homelab, unraid is still the "best" choice for me?

jafi

Hi,

Sorry for the "useless" topic, but I need some reassurance.

I have used unraid for some time now, learned a lot. My goal is the have one computer for a lot of different things. I run several services via docker like nginxproxymanager, mariadb, nginx, nextcloud, jellyfin, etc. Also I have couple of VM like pfsense, Home Assistant and Windows 10 (for games).

I am about to upgrade my "homelab" and unraid does not support multiple arrays or zfs (officially) so I started to think.

My current homelab is:

• Ryzen 7 2700
  • 64GB memory
  • 2x 4TB HDD
  • 1x 1TB NVME
  • 1x 256BB NVME
  • 1x 128 GB SSD
  • GTX 660 Ti.

I was using 4TB drives as array and 1TB NVME for Windows VM. 256GB NVME was cache and 128 GB SDD was for backups.

My new homelab is:

• Ryzen 7 5700G
  • 64GB memory 
  • 2x 4TB HDD
  • 2x 1TB NVME
  • 1x 1TB SSD
  • RTX 2060 TI

My news CPU has GPU (Vega) and that is for transcoding with jellyfin. I still would like to use 2x 4TB as array for media. But what about everything els. If I could create another array I would create 2x 1TB NVME and use that for nextcloud, docker and other stuff. And 1x 1TB SSD is for Windows VM only and RTX 2060 TI also.

I don't need backup of my Windows VM. But everyhing els I would like to backup, I know RAID is not a backup, but for now it is fine.

With something like proxmox I can have multiple arrays, but I would have to learn a lot of new stuff.

Any ideas?

Edited by jafi