[SUPPORT] Bonedrums - Grist

Application Name: Grist

Application Site: https://getgrist.com

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/gristlabs/grist

Github: https://github.com/gristlabs/grist-core

Grist is a modern relational spreadsheet. It combines the flexibility of a spreadsheet with the robustness of a database to organize your data and make you more productive.

Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker config you have in this thread.

Please post any questions/issues relating to the Grist Product you have in the Grist support forum https://community.getgrist.com

-- Feb 21 - Updated XML Template to include a /persist directory

Edited by bonedrums
  • bonedrums changed the title to [SUPPORT] Bonedrums - Grist

Should a share folder on a data drive be set up for persistent storage of working documents & to drop source data for using Grist self-hosted on an Unraid server? I would pefer to not use the appdata folder on my cache drive for document storage, and maybe there should be a preset option in the setup template for this. (I haven't really played with Grist yet, but it looks like a really  interesting app if you're a serious spreadsheet user.)

On 12/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, Shazster said:

Should a share folder on a data drive be set up for persistent storage of working documents & to drop source data for using Grist self-hosted on an Unraid server? I would pefer to not use the appdata folder on my cache drive for document storage, and maybe there should be a preset option in the setup template for this. (I haven't really played with Grist yet, but it looks like a really  interesting app if you're a serious spreadsheet user.)

It is a really cool app! For the most part, unless you have a document that has hundreds of thousands of rows with embedded media, the file sizes should only be a few Mb. I'll post on the Grist community forum though and see if there's something within Grist that will tell it to use a /data store for storing documents. I'll post back here and let you know what I find out.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, Shazster said:

When running Grist using docker, you can tell Grist to store data files in another folder using a flag like -v <host-dir>:/persist, i.e. mapping some directory to be visible as /persist in the container.

I am not sure what Unraid’s method would be for creating such a mapping. I think it might only be a matter of changing /config to /persist in the Appdata line of unraid-templates/grist.xml at main · bonedrums/unraid-templates · GitHub.

You can see how /persist is actually used in grist-core/Dockerfile at main · gristlabs/grist-core · GitHub – in particular, you could override GRIST_DATA_DIR environment variable instead of remapping /persist.

The data files Grist actually stores are essentially SQLite files, both for documents and for the database with document metadata (/persist/home.sqlite3 in the docker setup). SQLite is totally happy to use spinning disks, and I don’t anticipate any issues with keeping data on those.

The only kind of data share NOT to try is a network folder shared by multiple independent Grist instances (not that I see any reason for anyone to do that). That pattern will not work: a Grist instance assumes that all changes to its data files go through that instance.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Seems like the right place?

Have any of you got Grist Omnibus setup/to work that includes some basic account management and login options? I have played with it; but some reason can't get it to load/boot. I think it's default Traffik thing built in.

https://github.com/gristlabs/grist-omnibus

Hey Blaine - I need to look into creating a second Docker installer in the App Store using this setup. I'll let you know once I get it finished up and provide some instruction.

2 hours ago, bonedrums said:

Hey Blaine - I need to look into creating a second Docker installer in the App Store using this setup. I'll let you know once I get it finished up and provide some instruction.

Oh, awesome! Thank you so much! Keep me posted - some basic login would be very nice. I don't need Traffik or any of that though; would rather use cloudflare or NPM. Thank you!

20 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Oh, awesome! Thank you so much! Keep me posted - some basic login would be very nice. I don't need Traffik or any of that though; would rather use cloudflare or NPM. Thank you!

I also use Cloudflare and NPM... working on a simple email login to share with the community. Thanks for reaching out! More updates to follow...

On 3/9/2024 at 8:11 AM, bonedrums said:

I also use Cloudflare and NPM... working on a simple email login to share with the community. Thanks for reaching out! More updates to follow...

Thats what I have here; Cloudflare Proxy and some stuff straight to service; some stuff through Cloudflare>NPM>Service. Quite literally can't wait! 🙂

On 3/11/2024 at 7:11 AM, blaine07 said:

Thats what I have here; Cloudflare Proxy and some stuff straight to service; some stuff through Cloudflare>NPM>Service. Quite literally can't wait! 🙂

No solution yet unfortunately Blaine. I've been working with the folks at Grist to try to resolve some issues. Will keep you posted and provide a new container in the appstore. It is working without Cloudflare/NPM just fine on its own. But I'm struggling to get it setup to get it going through NPM.