SMB Configuration hardening options

Coming from this thread: 

I would really appreciate a simple GUI way to configure additional SAMBA/SMB options for my server. 

Specifically I'm interested in changing the following options to improve the security of the server: 

server min protocol = SMB3_11
client min protocol = SMB3_11
client ipc min protocol = SMB3_11
null passwords = No
client signing = required
client protection = encrypt
server signing = mandatory
server smb encrypt = required
client ipc signing = required
ntlm auth = ntlmv2-only
null passwords = No

Rather than using the SMB extra configuration field which I'm finding confusing and difficult to use. I would rather these options be available under 'SMB Settings' as drop-down options (for example, 'Enable NetBIOS' is currently listed there). 

I think that the out of the box defaults should remain as broadly compatible as possible but it should not be a difficult process to enable high security configurations on the server. 

Thanks,

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, L0rdRaiden said:

will this be included as the new default settings? or the settings will be visible from webui?

In order to support legacy devices using SMB2 and connecting to Unraid shares. the implementation of these security settings will have to be configurable.  Because of the desire to get 6.10 released, it is being held up for now.

For the time being, you can put those settings with a [global] tag in smb-extra.conf.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

In order to support legacy devices using SMB2 and connecting to Unraid shares. the implementation of these security settings will have to be configurable.  Because of the desire to get 6.10 released, it is being held up for now.

For the time being, you can put those settings with a [global] tag in smb-extra.conf.

right now it's like this, so it's wrong? Do you mean that I have to add [global] in my config?

[global]

client signing = mandatory

server....

imagen.png.43153227743f8a021120ec8b1be6e4e7.png

35 minutes ago, L0rdRaiden said:

right now it's like this, so it's wrong? Do you mean that I have to add [global] in my config?

[global]

client signing = mandatory

server....

imagen.png.43153227743f8a021120ec8b1be6e4e7.png

It probably works, but you should not assume [global].  Add the [global] tag ahead of your settings.

• Thanks 1