Where to shop for what?

SSD

In Australia - well you simply can't get the same deals as in the US. Half the stuff on Amazon they won't ship to Aus, NewEgg doesn't ship internationally and SuperBiiz does but they require a wire transfer to do business. I won't wire transfer OS for goods - too dangerous and it is quite expensive until you start to get into the $2000 bracket where you can use a Forex service.

Techbuy.com.au for reasonably priced Norco cases and they carry the 120mm Fan wall bracket as well. To import these cases would cost way more with shipping..

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/149123/CASINGS_SERVER_-_4U/Norco/RPC-4224.asp

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/152644/CASINGS_SERVER_-_ACCESSORIES/Norco/120mmfanbracket.asp

Mwave.com.au for CPUs, memory, hdds and other brands of cases - always reasonably competitive. Bought a lot of stuff from them over the years...

And so far nowhere for SuperMicro server boards and SAS PCie cards  :'(. Unbelievable that no one is Aus stocks these things at a reasonable price - Scorptec.com.au has the MV8 but @ $AU199 a piece ($US212) its more than double the price from SuperBiiz... even with transport you can import them cheaper... but you must wire the money.

John 

Hey John,

I hear you about the SuperMicro stuff, frustrating eh. Maybe an opportunity? I bet the Distributors are price gouging.

Anyone in the US want to start a forwarding service to Aus for SuperMicro?

8)

• 3 weeks later...

In Australia - well you simply can't get the same deals as in the US. Half the stuff on Amazon they won't ship to Aus, NewEgg doesn't ship internationally and SuperBiiz does but they require a wire transfer to do business. I won't wire transfer OS for goods - too dangerous and it is quite expensive until you start to get into the $2000 bracket where you can use a Forex service.

Techbuy.com.au for reasonably priced Norco cases and they carry the 120mm Fan wall bracket as well. To import these cases would cost way more with shipping..

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/152644/CASINGS_SERVER_-_ACCESSORIES/Norco/120mmfanbracket.asp

Mwave.com.au for CPUs, memory, hdds and other brands of cases - always reasonably competitive. Bought a lot of stuff from them over the years...

And so far nowhere for SuperMicro server boards and SAS PCie cards  :'(. Unbelievable that no one is Aus stocks these things at a reasonable price - Scorptec.com.au has the MV8 but @ $AU199 a piece ($US212) its more than double the price from SuperBiiz... even with transport you can import them cheaper... but you must wire the money.

John 

Hey John,

I hear you about the SuperMicro stuff, frustrating eh. Maybe an opportunity? I bet the Distributors are price gouging.

Anyone in the US want to start a forwarding service to Aus for SuperMicro?

8)

Yeah - the most frustrating thing is the gouging by the various software vendors - in particular Adobe and Microsoft. I ended up getting the Supermicro boards of eBay vendor - he responded quickly and shipment was fast but you can still get them cheaper from a couple of US online vendors..

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/bakamuzko/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

As usual with all online vendors it is buyer beware so use the usual discretion. M

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Where I buy/check prices for items in Canada (or that ship to Canada and including duty/etc):

• CanadaComputers.com
  • NewEgg.ca
  • NCIX.ca (but lately NewEgg beats them on price including shipping/etc and conversion rate with our dollar almost par)
  • Monoprice.com - for cables, cable parts, tools, audio/video, and some computer parts
  • RackmountChassisPlus.com - the name says for what - new find, so not sure how good yet.
  • Amazon.com/ca - .com need to make sure its from Amazon so that they will ship to Canada - usualy free shipping
  • Dell - i know, but sometimes have great deals with free shipping
  • Costco - if you have membership - can have great deals! particularly on network routers, APC UPS', and external storage (flash/usb drives)
  • Ebay - of course ;) - usual disclaimer when using, but the M1015 is easy to find there along with other sata expansion cards when you need them.

• 1 month later...

Where do you guys buy Sata cable?

I've been waiting for monoprice.com to restock the 90 deg. sata cables, but so far no luck.  I gave them a call and the rep. stated a lot of their sata cables are no longer available because they are being replaced, and they are not sure of an ETA.

I always buy my cables from monoprice.com due to their really low price and excellent quality, but now I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and buy from amazon.com, and spend $4 to 5 bucks per cable?

I've been waiting for monoprice.com to restock the 90 deg. sata cables, but so far no luck.  I gave them a call and the rep. stated a lot of their sata cables are no longer available because they are being replaced, and they are not sure of an ETA.

I always buy my cables from monoprice.com due to their really low price and excellent quality, but now I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and buy from amazon.com, and spend $4 to 5 bucks per cable?

I got mine from monoprice. It looks to me like they have a bunch of different SATA cables in stock. There are a few 18" cables that are OOS, but lots of other lengths and colors.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226

Here is one for $0.69 or less:

24inch SATA 6Gbps Cable w/Locking Latch (90 Degree to 180 Degree) - Black

I got mine from monoprice. It looks to me like they have a bunch of different SATA cables in stock. There are a few 18" cables that are OOS, but lots of other lengths and colors.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226

Here is one for $0.69 or less:

24inch SATA 6Gbps Cable w/Locking Latch (90 Degree to 180 Degree) - Black

I am color coding my drives with the sata cable, and 24" is too long.  The longest I would go for ar 18" or less.

monoprice.com has been out of Sata cables for a while now.  I order some cable from svc.com, but they sent me the wrong ones.  They next day another order with the correct cables.  Only to find out they sent me the same cables, but different colors.

I need left handed 90 degrees cables.  So, I guess I am going to have to pay $5.00 dollars per cable + shipping from amazon.  I've already paid more for shipping cost than the cables are worth from svc.com.  I personally spoke with a svc.com employee and asked him if they had left handed 90 degree cables, and he said, "Yes."  I can't use these cables due to my Icy Box set up.

So, anyone else know where I can get some of these close to the monoprice.com prices?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wierd question; but

Bay Area - San Jose etc...

Are there anymore Bricks and Mortar places to get equipment?

* Micro Center - Closed

* FRY's is ok but lacks many of the parts

* Central Computer - has some items

Just wondering if there is a GREAT place we do not know about

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll add a bit of counterpoint to the title =>  and note that here's someplace to NOT shop for hard drives !!

I've bought a LOT of stuff from Newegg over the years, including at least 100 hard drives.  But in the past year or two they've become much more cavalier about "packing" their hard drive shipments .. and I suspect that much of the reason they seem to have a relatively high DOA rate for drives is they simply don't pack them well.

I just got a shipment of seven drives -- 5 4TB Seagate NAS units and 2 3TB WD Reds -- and this time they REALLY outdid themselves.    I've not yet completed testing all of these, but at least two are going to have to be replaced, and possibly more.

THIS is the box they were shipped in:

Newegg_Box_with_4TB_Drives_-_2.jpg.5128cf16777faafee6df37981710d33a.jpg

I've had FAR better luck with professional packaging and very well-packed boxes for hard drives from Amazon, TigerDirect, and SuperBiiz ==> and will be buying ALL of my hard drives from them in the future.

As for cables -- I agree completely with Monoprice as the source for most cables;  although there are some systems that you can configure much more neatly with "left-hand" SATA cables, which they don't sell.    A good source for those (in fact the only source I've found for these hard-to-find cables)  is here:  http://www.cpustuff.com/left-angle-to-straight-sata-cable/

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2011 at 1:01 PM, reggie14 said:

If you have one nearby, Micro Center is a great brick and mortar store to get computer parts at.  Their prices are often pretty close to online stores, though you will get hit with sales tax.  But, I don't think I would order online from them.  That's not really their main thing, and their customer support for online orders doesn't seem nearly as good as Newegg's.

Agreed and they will price match online sales if you are in the store. Just know what you want prior to going there.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 7/1/2011 at 3:25 AM, Mondo said:

John 

Thank you very much 

• Upvote 1