SATA Controller Cards

Could some kind soul straighten me out, I'm a little turned around after reading all the comments on sata cards.

I've been running a server for several months now and every thing is fine as far as streaming goes but trying to do parity checks and a successful drive build was painfully slow and I'm thinking of trying to upgrade my controller card(s)

I'm currently running two SATA300 TX4 cards plugged into my two available PCI slots with eight drives, a combination of SATA II and III drives, are/will be

plugged into all the ports.  In addition to the two (2) PCI slots I have two (2) x PCI-E x1 slots available and one (1) PCI-E x16 2.0 (CFX x8) slot.  I'm thinking of buying a SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 to put into the PCI-E x16 slot but before I spend the money I want to make sure of a few things. 

1. Will I see a significant increase is performance or and I working to far down the hardware/price ladder to make a difference?

2. If not is there a better card or option that I'm missing that's under $200

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

unRaid Server 5.0-beta13

Intel E8400 3.0 GHz

Biostar TP45 HP Ver 5.x (http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=366&tab=3)

4 GB G.Skill PC2 8500

I have a Supermicro AOC-USAS2 card that I have flashed with LSI software, somewhere along the line when the card boots it shows the message the adapter is disabled. It still appears to work ok, but when I try to use control c on boot up to get into the setup menu it gives some message about restarting on next boot, but boots into whatever mach os you have the board installed in. Anyone have any advice about how to use control c or whatever to get into the setup menu?

I have a Supermicro AOC-USAS2 card that I have flashed with LSI software, somewhere along the line when the card boots it shows the message the adapter is disabled. It still appears to work ok, but when I try to use control c on boot up to get into the setup menu it gives some message about restarting on next boot, but boots into whatever mach os you have the board installed in. Anyone have any advice about how to use control c or whatever to get into the setup menu?

I don't remember precisely, and I'm not going to reboot my server right now, but I also had the same question as you.  IIRC, after hitting ^C, you then have to select the device to boot from in the standard BIOS.

Could some kind soul straighten me out, I'm a little turned around after reading all the comments on sata cards.

I'd suggest going for a M1015 flashed with LSI firmware in IT mode personally - they are faster than the MV8's.. only real issue I note is that you're running b13.. you'd have to go back to 12a as these controllers are borked in 13/14.  If you don't want to do that, the MV8 should be fine and will give you some performance increase (but not as much as the M1015's.)

Guys like this fella on ebay sell them with breakout cables, pci brackets and preflashed to the latest firmware of your choice - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200739872127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_855wt_1396

Ok, I have the AOC-SASLP-MV8 REV1.01  I think I bricked it.  I tried the BIOS downgrade, as listed on the 1st page,  It failed with some type of write error.  The next message said the old (.21) BIOS has been restored, but now during post, it always fails.  I guess this has been slowly going bad for the last 2 months.  I thought it was one of my hard drives, as I was having parity errors & sometimes even difficulty rebooting my unRAID server.  I now see that it is this controller, which I bought about 5 to 7 months ago.  I'm going to use the 5 SATA controllers on my motherboard & get a two port controller card from microcenter, tomorrow, but if anybody knows of a way I can salvage the super micro, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and .15 and .21 firmware

If you are having issues with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 booting with the .21 firmware then check whether your Motherboard manufacturer has released an updated BIOS for your motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H that came with bios 'F5'. When using 2 SASLP-MV8s with .21 firmware I was unable to successfully boot and had to revert the SASLP-MV8 back to firmware .15 (which meant limited/no 3TB/4TB HDD support).

I have just updated my motherboard to bios F6f (which was slightly smaller in size) and I have upgraded my 2 SASLP-MV8s with .21 firmware and my server is booting up.

A big big YEAH!!!

TheWombat

I'd suggest going for a M1015 flashed with LSI firmware in IT mode personally - they are faster than the MV8's.. only real issue I note is that you're running b13.. you'd have to go back to 12a as these controllers are borked in 13/14.  If you don't want to do that, the MV8 should be fine and will give you some performance increase (but not as much as the M1015's.)

Guys like this fella on ebay sell them with breakout cables, pci brackets and preflashed to the latest firmware of your choice - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200739872127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_855wt_1396

What advantage would an M1015 flashed with LSI firmware have over the 2nd gen Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8?

I am curious too... Thinking about a new case for my server and might have to get a card... May as well get the fastest, best supported card while I am digging around.

So far it seems M1015 flashed with LSI IT seems to be the best???  Well as long as you use a beta/RC that doesn't have a problem with the LSI cards...

Anyone care to offer some more guidance?  So I bought one of the IBM ServeRAID M1015 cards as suggested on E-Bay from a seller who flashed it with the IT mode firmware as recommend believing that it I could put it in my second PCIe 2.0 slot on my Biostar TP45 HP motherboard.  Unfortunately when I put the card in it doesn't seemed to be recognized in any fashion.  No errors, so bios options, no hard drive present when computer boots  -  nada. 

In looking at the manual for the card under the install instructions it notes that some PCIe 2.0 slots will work only with graphics devices *ugh*  Assuming I just haven't overlooked some BIOS setting, how does one determine if such a slot is in their motherboard?  The specs at Biostar's web site simply says "2 x PCI-E x16 2.0 Slot (CFX x8)"

If I look to replace the motherboard, what sort of slot am I looking for?  The card itself is PCI-E 2.0, does that mean it will/won't work in a motherboard that has on board graphics and a single PCIe x16 slot?

Would any of these motherboard definitely work or not work with the M1015?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130305

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121373

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130305

Even though none says PCIe 2.0?

Follow up ...

I did find the manual to this motherboard and see that is says both the PCIe slots are reserved for Graphics cards.  Wish I'd have know this was a potential problem before I bought the card.

Any thoughts on the links to potential replacements, or any other LGA 775 Core 2 Duo motherboards at Newegg that would work with the IBM ServeRAID M1015 would be appreciated.

Post a new thread, I know there are members who know motherboard companies that either have a bios setting or allow other types of cards in the pci-e slot.

Maybe even email limetech, and get the specs of the servers they sell.  I would hope tom has moved to pcie bases boards/controllers by now???

Also search the compulsive design forum, search it for your card model.... There has to be a few people that created builds with that card, there are parts list for almost every build in that forum.

• 2 weeks later...

What advantage would an M1015 flashed with LSI firmware have over the 2nd gen Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8?

I am curious too... Thinking about a new case for my server and might have to get a card... May as well get the fastest, best supported card while I am digging around.

So far it seems M1015 flashed with LSI IT seems to be the best???  Well as long as you use a beta/RC that doesn't have a problem with the LSI cards...

From the silence my guess is there is no advantage given current pricing......

UPDATE 06-21-12

This thread has been dead/useless in terms of input on this question however see the below referenced threads on why an IBM M1015

flashed with LSI firmware *is* more desirable at this time than the 2nd gen Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 *including* pricing.

The '5.0RC3 - BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED causes freeze' thread may or may not apply to the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.

Obviously it most certainly does apply to the AOC-SASLP-MV8.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20862.msg185167#msg185167

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20529.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20111.30

• 4 weeks later...

I've just installed a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8.  With the 21 BIOS, all seemed fine, but unraid wouldn't start.  So following instructions I downloaded the 15 BIOS.  I run the flash utility bat file, and it's just been sitting on Initializeing for a good 7 minutes now.  It should not be taking this long.  I feel like if I hard boot the machine, it will probably brick the card at this point.  Or will it?  Anyone have any advice?

Crisis averted.  A reboot didn't hurt anything.  I made the very newb mistake of having a hard drive connected to the controller when I tried to flash it.  Tried again with nothing connected to the card, and all seems to have worked fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any one know where you can get an internal non jumpered SIL3132 here in the states?  Looks like all  the sources listed and usual suspects; New Egg, Ebay etc are out of stock.  Are there any new suggestions for good compatible cards.  Especially for those of us too lazy to risk bricking something by flashing? ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a FYI

The StarTech 2 port PCIe Internal Sata 2 Controller card (Part # PEXSATA221),

Chipset : JMicron JMB363.

Works within unRAID, shows connected drives as ide in the bios but after unRAID loads drivers they show as sata.

I did a search for this card and nothing came back, so took a gamble and thankfully everything works ok.

I'm using a Asus M5A 78L-M LX mobo and v5.0-rc5 btw.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Excuse me if this has been addressed already in this post, but I don't have the time to read through all 10 pages.  Wondering if there is any disadvantage to building a new parity on a 3TB drive connected to an SAS raid controller, specifically the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8.  I have an existing parity drive already on a 2TB drive but I am adding 3TB drives to my array.  I'm hesitant about switching the drives from their current SATA ports on the MOBO...

...any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • JorgeB unpinned and locked this topic