SATA Controller Cards

Adaptec 2241000-R PCI Express x4 SATA II (3.0Gb/s) 1430SA SGL

I'm after picking up one of these off ebay for £25 (i think thats a good deal, I cant find much to compare it to)

I know its supposedly plug and play but I was just wondering is this still true?.

Or if anyone has this card , do you have any tips when using it.

I eventually gave up on these after intermittent problems, same goes for all Marvell controllers (both ahci and not), as couldn't get 100% reliability out of any of them.  The only controllers I currently use are:

1. Intel and AMD AHCI motherboard controllers

2. Silicon Image 3132 (had some trouble with interrupt delivery on the 3124s, but generally less trouble than the Marvells).

3. Asmedia 1062

I even considered trying to commission the design of a card hosting multiple Asmedia chips (they've very cheap, but only 2-port), and a PCI-e bridge chip to make an 8+ port card, but I don't run enough storage servers to make this practical.

Newer Marvell chips may be better (but the one's I've tried have been so consistently bad, I've not bothered trying).

If I were backblaze or Amazon, I would have done this already! (perhaps they have).

Tim.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to grab a SATA controller. I currently use an SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8, which has been great. But I need another  card for a new box and saw there is a newer model out (SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8) which is faster and supports SATA III. I saw it on the hardware list and indicates works out of the box. It shows having the same Marvell chipset as my old card (Marvell 6480) so I assume it will work fine. Anyone currently use this card and have no problems? Just making sure. I don't mind paying the $110 for stability that I've always had with the older card. Of course I'll need to find another set of break out cables, but that's the easy part.

Anyone recommend another 8 port PCI-E SATA III controller? I don't see the reason to buy another brand if my older one has been so good.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using the HighPoint RocketRaid 2740SGL since Nov 2012.  Not one hiccup yet.  Here is the ID line to script into enable_achi.sh:

# 11032720 : Marvell 88SE9485 on HPT RocketRAID 2740SGL

Hope this helps somebody as this controller has been stable and reliable since day 1 (Once I figured out, with a LOT of forum help, how to and where to script as well as getting correct identifier

I've been running two Supermicro AOCP-SASLP-MV8 controllers in my server for many years.  A few years ago I upgraded the firmware to version 0.21.  Since that time it takes the server about 7-8 minutes to boot.  It scans each controller and then displays the Ctrl+M message at the bottom of the screen and just sits there.  After a while it reboots, scans the 2-port controller and then boots up unRAID.  My motherboard has six SATA ports so the 2-port card along with the two 8-port cards gives me a total of 24 SATA ports for one parity drive and 23 data drives.  The motherborad only has two PCIe X16 slots and one X1 slot as well as a single PCI slot.

I've been wanting to add a cache drive to the array but had no ports available.  I found a good deal on an Asus A88X-PRO motherboard and an AMD A10 7700K processor at MicroCenter.  The plan was to pick up a third AOCP-SASLP-MV8 controller and run the cache drive from one of the onboard ports.  I picked up a used card on ebay that turned out to be DOA.  I tried it in several motherboards, including the current server board, and it wasn't even recognized.  The seller was kind enough to give me a partial refund and told me to keep the card so as not to have to pay for return shipping.  The added bonus was that it came with both high and low profile brackets.

I picked up another used card on ebay and this one worked fine and also had the 0.21 firmware.  I did have to go into the BIOS and disable the INT13 setting, but at least I didn't have to deal with the BIOS update.  In fact, it works so well that I no longer have a long wait to boot up the server.  Once it scans both controllers it reboots and scans the 2-port controller and goes straight into unRAID.  I did some further experimentation using combinations of the original cards and the two new ones I purchased.  The bad card simply would not allow itself or the other controller to be recognized at bootup so it is definitely a dead card.  I decided to keep the new good card and the original good card that didn't hang on bootup.  I have since purchased another used card on ebay and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will work as well.

The whole point of this diatribe is to make people aware that buying used controllers can sometimes be a crapshoot.  I know at least one of the two cards originally installed in the server was purchased new from Newegg, but I don't recall where the other was purchased (it may also have come from Newegg).

Previously I had an older SASLP-MV8 and a newer SAS2LP-MV8 installed. Then I bought a newer SAS2LP-MV8 to replace the older card. When the computer boots up it goes through both scans on each card, as you can see with the little LED lights on the card. Each card had its own BIOS and was separate. Then I removed the older SASLP card and installed it with a new SAS2LP card. Now when I hit CTRL-M to view the BIOS of the card I can switch between both cards from within the same BIOS screen. I don't need to exit to see both cards. This reminds me of the old days of having multiple Adaptec Raid cards. Seems the cards talk to one another more efficiently when they are the same model cards with the same BIOS. Does the same happen to your two cards too?

Very weird thing happened to me yesterday.  I went back and read through some of the older threads about turning off RAID capability on the AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards and the fact that they will cause a long boot time if it isn't disabled.  I had implemented this on both of my original controllers quite some time ago, yet the long boot time persisted.  I decided to take another crack at it and I found my old firmware 0.15 files with the edited 6480.txt file.  I created a new boot flash drive with the files on it and set about updating the card.  As expected, it failed the first attempt so I ran it again.  This time it succeeded.  I swapped the card with one currently running in my unRAID server and booted it up.  This time it booted smoothly with no delay after scanning the controllers.  I'm kicking myself for not trying this again after it didn't work the first time I tried it.  For several years now I've been dealing with extremely long boot times because of this.  Live and learn.

Isrdude I have been looking at getting the high point rocket raid that you're currently using and saw you haven't had any issues. My question is would this card have to go on a PCI 16x or 8x? And is there any bottleneck if you use all the ports on the card? My current setup is the super micro mobo used on the official builds that has 14 sata ports onboard and a Intel E3 1241v3 on a norco 4224 reason for wanting this card is because I want to do some virtualization later and I want to be able to use that 16x slot to use a dedicated gpu.

• 2 months later...

I have this MB - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX which has the following PCI slots

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16

1 x PCI Express x1

What would be a good sata controller to add 4 more drives?

I recommend the adaptec 1430SA, relatively cheap on ebay and works very well with Unraid, just make sure it’s using latest firmware for > 2tb support.

I have this MB - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX which has the following PCI slots

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16

1 x PCI Express x1

I recommend the adaptec 1430SA, relatively cheap on ebay and works very well with Unraid, just make sure it’s using latest firmware for > 2tb support.

You could probably get a SAS card and the cables for less then the Adaptec. You also can hook up 8 drives to the one SAS card in case you unexpectedly have the need for more drives.

You could probably get a SAS card and the cables for less then the Adaptec. You also can hook up 8 drives to the one SAS card in case you unexpectedly have the need for more drives.

What is your understanding of an "SAS card"?

Serial Attached SCSI is also available in 4-port configuration.

I'm very interested where you can get an 8-port PCIe card incl. 2 SAS cables for under 30€ (1430SA@ebay)!?  :o

What is your understanding of an "SAS card"?

Serial Attached SCSI is also available in 4-port configuration.

I'm very interested where you can get an 8-port PCIe card incl. 2 SAS cables for under 30€ (1430SA@ebay)!?  :o

Put in "SAS CARD" in a Google search and it will show you exactly what cards we are talking about. Put in "SATA CARD" and you'll get cards with SATA connectors. I'm using the acronym, so I don't need to type "Serial Attached SCSI".

I looked up that Adaptec 1430 that you recommended and didn't see it for under $200. Just new ones. And that was just a 4 port card. I would guess that the 8 port variation is more expensive. I was only looking at US prices. I do see several used ones on Ebay for $15-$20, which is a very good deal. I guess in my head I'm just against all those separate cables and like the stability of breakout cables. The multi-lane cables are only $10 or less. Is that British Pound? Not very good with money outside the US.

• 2 weeks later...

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16

1 x PCI Express x1

I'm thinking about buying this card.  Can you tell me what the "latest" firmware is so I can confirm with a potential seller?  Also, is the firmware flashable (ie, can I update it myself)?

I'm thinking about buying this card.  Can you tell me what the "latest" firmware is so I can confirm with a potential seller?  Also, is the firmware flashable (ie, can I update it myself)?

Latest bios is 2507, you can download it from the adaptec website and flash it.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/downloads/bios_fw/bios_fw_ver/productid=aar-1430sa&dn=adaptec+serial+ata+ii+raid+1430sa.html

Latest bios is 2507, you can download it from the adaptec website and flash it.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/downloads/bios_fw/bios_fw_ver/productid=aar-1430sa&dn=adaptec+serial+ata+ii+raid+1430sa.html

Thanks.

I hope it works better then the two Marvell 88SE92xx cards I have.  Even though one is listed as compatible in the wiki it failed miserably after upgrading to unRaid 6.1.3 (SYBA SI-PEX40064).

I hope it works better then the two Marvell 88SE92xx cards I have.  Even though one is listed as compatible in the wiki it failed miserably after upgrading to unRaid 6.1.3 (SYBA SI-PEX40064).

Would you mind sharing what you mean by "failed miserably"?

If it worked with v5 it should also work with v6!

The 1430SA works very well with v6 once you change the nr_requests parameter.    I'd seen a 30% increase in parity check times when I upgraded an older system that has the 1430's in it to v6.1.3; but with the nr_requests change the speeds are back to what they had been in the past.    It's a VERY nice card ... and is available very inexpensively on e-bay.

I suspect other Marvell-based cards that are having speed issues with v6 will also work just fine with the nr_requests modification.

Note that Limetech is well aware of the Marvell issues, and is going to include nr_requests as a disk tunable in the next release.    Tom's also working on a driver update that will hopefully resolve this without the need to change nr_requests.

The 1430SA works very well with v6 once you change the nr_requests parameter.    I'd seen a 30% increase in parity check times when I upgraded an older system that has the 1430's in it to v6.1.3; but with the nr_requests change the speeds are back to what they had been in the past.    It's a VERY nice card ... and is available very inexpensively on e-bay.

I suspect other Marvell-based cards that are having speed issues with v6 will also work just fine with the nr_requests modification.

Note that Limetech is well aware of the Marvell issues, and is going to include nr_requests as a disk tunable in the next release.    Tom's also working on a driver update that will hopefully resolve this without the need to change nr_requests.

Although the 1430SA uses a Marvell chipset it does not use the same MVSAS driver as the SASLP and SAS2LP, I believe the increase in performance on your older system using the tweak was more from lower CPU utilization and less from any benefit to the 1430.

The 1430SA has been a very consistent performer since unraid V5 and always delivers more than 200MB/s per disk, which is consistent with its max theoretical bandwidth of 1000MB/s.

Different hardware and tunable settings can make a small difference but doubt that anyone with a Intel socket 1155 or above CPU will see any gains from the changes as the card is performing at maximum speed as is.

Average parity check with 4 SSDs - Intel G1620 2.7Mhz

V5.0.6	V6.0.0	V6.0.1	V6.1.0	V6.1.1	V6.1.2	V6.1.3	V6.1.3 with nr_r=8
213.4	214.9	213.4	213.4	213.4	214.9	214.9	209.3

AMD users may see some difference as speed is not so consistent:

Average parity check with 4 SSDs - AMD X2 4200+ 2.2Mhz

V5.0.6	V6.0.0	V6.0.1	V6.1.0	V6.1.1	V6.1.2	V6.1.3
180.6	200.1	200.1	181.9	196.4	180.9	201.4

Unfortunately my AMD board is not working at the moment so can’t test with the tweak.

You may very well be right -- from my perspective it doesn't matter WHY it helps, it's just nice that it DOES  :)

I suppose the new driver updates that JonP has noted will prove that -- if it's not a driver issue, then they likely won't help with the 1430's ... but the nr_requests will still help (unless the driver updates also reduce CPU load).

Would you mind sharing what you mean by "failed miserably"?

If it worked with v5 it should also work with v6!

Unfortunately i don't have log files but it would keep resetting the link to the drive and it managed to corrupt the file system on a couple of drives. 

• JorgeB unpinned and locked this topic